1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Metallic Case Trimmer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Diamond 101, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond 101

Diamond 101 TS Member

Would like to know opinions on which case trimmer works best for you? Features,Function,ease of use,etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chad

2. andybull

andybull Active Member

Get a Giraud trimmer if you want the best and fastest.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use an RCBS power trimmer. I think it does a good job and my arthritic hands like it a lot better than my old Forster manual trimmer.

Ed

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

If it is for rifles - get a Wilson - period. Look forthem in Brownell's or Sinclair's catalog. The Wilson trimmer and case holders will trim the cases square and concentric

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a Wilson for my .308's ans .223's. Bulge.

6. Lew

Lew TS Member

The best way to answer this is what cartridges do you reload and the volume you do. Some of the mentioned units are for volume shooters and others are for benchrest others are for the occasional relodaer. no sence a huge outlay of funds and find it just sitting there. Lets us know and then the questions can be better answered.

7. Diamond 101

Diamond 101 TS Member

I load 223 the most frequently about 2000 rounds a year but I also load 22-250, 25-06, and 30-06.

Chad

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

The Wilson with the micrometer adjustment is really great.

It is what I use, and others have mentioned it as well.

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If you have a Dillon press I would suggest you look at their power trimmer. You can then set the machine to size, deprime and trim in a progressive manner. A little pricey, but if doing a large volume it quickly makes the cost acceptable.

Robert

10. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

I have an RCBS Trim Pro.. I plan on getting a power kit sometime but for now its all by hand. Quick and easy enough...once locked in everything comes out the same length and in short order.

I've had it about 8 months so far - since I got serious about reloading for rifle. I'm pretty much a recreational shooter and reloader, but in volume (an accumulation of used brass)...also recreational an accuracy reloader for centerfire rifle. I like to try loads for the best accuracy, so I'm always trimming bottle neck cases. I've trimmed .30'06, .308, .223, .30 Carbine (straight walled case), and .30-30 so far.

On the 126 .30 Carbine cases I did last night it took about 10 quick turns to reduce them from around 1.291 (post FL size and over max length) to 1.2805 (.0005 over trim length and where I locked the machine down). Every one is the same... Helps to keep it clean and the shaft oiled...I just put some Marvel Mystery Oil on it last night and it was like I turbo charged the thing, my arm got tired keeping up after I got the first couple spins going..

The item I bought was at Cabelas and was sold as the Trim Pro Kit...so it came with several shell holders (most common sizes/numbers) and the case mouth guides in 22, 24, 25, 27, 28, 30, 35, 44, and 45 caliber.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The dillon case trimmer can be used on any press as it i has standard threads. I have a friend who uses one in a single stage RCBS. That is how I found out about them. If money is no object i would get a Gracey OR A Giraud.
    They are more expensive. What about truly enjoying trimming cases? What is that worth? Or look at it this way. Use it for 10 years and sell it for more then you paid for it as they go up in price each year. They never sell used for less then 50 bucks off the new price. They also chamfer the case at the same time. What does that save you as far as time? The better electric trimmers pay for themselves in time saved and pure enjoyment of a once boring task. Once you use one you will look at that old hand cranker the same way you looked at a Mec 600 Jr after loading your first case of shells on a progressive press in 40 minutes. Jeff

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

THe Giraud is the fastest and easiest to use, once you get the cutter calibrated, which is kind if tricky. The only trouble with the giraud is that it takes its reference off the case shoulder, not the base. This allows the over all length of the case to vary. I used the powered RCBS unit with the quick release shell holder. It was very consistant. The silly little system from LEE worked great too. There is a hard stop when the guage pin goes through the primer hole. The length stops perfectly every time. I turned the case holder with a slow speed electric drill.

13. Lew

Lew TS Member

I like the Wilson deluxe case trimmer with the mirometer head. They are easy to setup and very repeatable and the shell holders are cheap. I shoot benchrest and in my mind they are the easiest and best to use.

14. andybull

andybull Active Member

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Don't ruin my stance on Lee trimmers. I really liked them. Now I have to check the more expensive others out

16. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have four case trimmers, a Lee that chucks in my drill, an RCBS unit that hand cranks, a Dillon power sizer/trimmer and a host of trim dies. The RCBS unit gets the most use. The Dillon gets used when I process 500 to 1000 3006 or 22-250 cases in a batch. The trim dies get used for 32-20 and 357, they're fast and I get to inspect the cases as I trim (you get lots of splits with 32-20 and 357 mag) The Lee almost never gets used except to set up the Dillon. I trim a case in the Lee and then set the Dillon to it. For my money, I'd buy the RCBS unit and never look back.

17. Diamond 101

Diamond 101 TS Member

Thanks for all the opinions so far. It is amazing how people like different makes and models. No real clear cut brand over another. 71/2'S or 8's

Thanks, Chad

18. "Great Scott"

"Great Scott" TS Member

Ck this Gracey trimmer deal out. Over 500.00 to replace, as new condition. I bought it new. Tapering off centerfire shooting. Thanks Larry in western ky.

19. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Wilson....Tried several others over the years. Once I got the Wilson, I never looked back. Consider this...When I'm loading .223 ammo for what I refer to as simply "blasting", OAL and mouth bevel aren't real important. Those cases don't get trimmed, unless they are found to be waayy out of spec. I also have a heavy bbl. .223 rifle, 20x Redfield that I enjoy shooting from time to time. Rounds for that rifle are treated to every "benchrest class" reloading technique I can muster. As a result, I don't mind the slower speed of the Wilson. I get excellent results on the cases for all my rifles and handguns ( I reload over 20 different calibers/gauges..) where PRECISION is "mission critical". That's all part of the enjoyment I get from reloading.

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have a Wilson set up on a drill press. I load 223 Varmint/Precision, 5.56mm Patrol Rifle, 308 Precision, and 30/06 Game loads. What else is there? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.