1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Metal gas and powder cans

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

While filling up the lawn mower for the first time this year, I remarked at the old metal 2 1/2 gallon gasoline can I have used for well over 20 years. The new gas cans are all plastic. Are these old metal cans dangerous?

Also, powder used to come in metal cans especially the old 12 pound IMR black cans and the small cans that held IMR rifle and pistol powder. Now, all I see is plastic for shot shell powder. The last rifle powder I bought, VV N-135 and VV N-110, came in 1 kg. plastic containers.

Are metal cans for powder and gasoline dangerous or is plastic more cost efficient and/or easier to pour from?

Ed Ward

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Powder containers are built to burst under a specific amount of pressure, rather than exploding when the pressure gets to a much higher level.

Plastic is cheaper than metal and easier to create. I do not know what the regulations of gasoline canse are, other than they must be red in color.

Go price a metal gas can these days if you can find one.

HM

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

All this static problem started after Plastic gas cans came into use.

Also probably after the vapor recovery nozzles came around too.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have an old metal powder can marked Herco. It's empty except for the large amount of rust and corrosion inside. Dad use to have alot of various black powders in metal cans as well. I remember the metal powder cans as a boy but thats about it.

Did the metal cans shorten the shelf life of the powder by allowing moisture in easier??

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Whether plastic or metal, when you fill your gas can you should place it ON THE GROUND and touch the metal nozzle to it while filling. This allows any static build up to instantly discharge to ground.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You still can get steel gas cans and they are a requirement in many facilities where safety cans must be used for storing small amounts of volatile liquids.

They are also many times the cost of plastic.

Like you, I have an old 2 1/2 gallon can that was given to me a decade ago by a retired neighbor that no longer needed it as he didn't use 2 cycle fuel any longer. He thought he got the thing sometime in the 50's. I still use it for my 2 cycle mix and it is 100% functional. I seriously doubt you will find any plastics that will stand up to this kind of service for 50 plus years.

7. School Teacher

Wolfram"

My 2 1/2 gallon can is used for 2-cycle oil only. It is marked "The Gasser" on the side and it is red and very substantial.

Ed Ward

8. School Teacher

Thanks much for all of the good information and safety tips.

Ed Ward

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I still use my plastic gas can bought during the gas shortages of 1974! Best can that i own never leaks at the filler neck either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.