1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Medicare vs Obamacare - Scams or what?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I will reach Medicare age in August 2012. I am beginning to get mailers about the decisions I have to make. Seems to me that Medicare is no better than Obamacare. If you want to stay with the coverage you have (whch the President said we could all do), you CANNOT - you MUST enrolll in Medicare and accept them as your primary 'carrier'. Isn't this an example of the government taking away my freedom to choose and my liberty to do what I want? Why don't more Medicare-covered folks say anything about this ?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Enrollment in Medicare is not mandatory. However, since you have been paying into it all your working life, why would you not enroll in Part A at age 65 when eligible? Only parts B-D have "premiums", paid out of your Social Security income (if you are drawing Social Security, of course).

The statement that ".....if you want to stay with the coverage you have, you cannot-you must enroll in Medicare.............." is simply not true.
    There are penalties (in the form of higher costs) if you do not enroll in Part B of Medicare when eligible and then later choose to, but there are many cases where even this would not apply. For instance, if you elected to start drawing Social Security at your normal eligible age (between 65-66 for many at this time), you would normally enroll in Medicare Part A (no premium). If you are fully retired, then most elect to enroll in Part B at that time also, since that covers a lot more than just Part A. This does have a premium. However, if you are and continue working (even though drawing Social Security), and have a work medical plan for instance, then you can delay or forgo enrollment in Part B until such time as you actually retire or lose your work medical plan. Then you have 8 months grace in which to enroll in Part B without any price penalty. This is what my wife did. When she reached Social Security age, she started drawing that. But she continued her work with the University for a couple more years, and did not enroll in Medicare since she was covered by work medical.

BTW, if you continue to have work (or other medical insurance), that is primary, not Medicare. Medicare would be secondary at best.

Obamacare, on the other, has nothing to do with retirement medical plans. It is a "plan" to cover lots of folks during working age who do not have work insurance (of course, it will destroy a lot of that in any case) or who "cannot afford private insurance" (if you really want to believe that) It also has requirements and penalties for not having insurance, something that is not true of Medicare, should you for some reason not take Medicare.

Comparing Medicare and Obamacare is like comparing apples and oranges. The only real similarity is that both programs are bankrupting the country .

Really sounds like you need to get some far better information and advice on just what Medicare is and how it works.

Jim R

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx Jim. I fully intend to do more research between now and August 2012. FYI, I am fully retired and elected to take my Soc Sec at age 62. Currently I have a Blue Cross policy with a HSA.

I did not necessarily intend to make a comparison of Medicare and Obamacare. Just trying to say that (1) both are gov't programs, (2) both are run by bureaucrats and largely DO NOT / WILL NOT accomplish what they were / are intended to do, (3) both rob freedom from the individual and substitute dependency by the individual on the gov't and (4) both are far more complex than they need to be.

Thx again for the write up.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

All of this govt health care baloney is just another way of the govt getting more of our money to spend.
    Everyone should go private. No more social security, no medicare less money govt can spend, easy to keep track of what they do.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you have a pension that provides you with health ins. If so it might just pay for your medicare premium. HMB

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Gene keep this in mind. part A medicare =Hospital bills, part B =Dr bills, and part D = Drugs. A Quad by-pass cost me 100k 5 years ago. The Heart Surgeons bill was 25k. The rest was Hosp expenses. The part A is Free. If you prefer to pay your own Dr. then skip part B. Medicare will hold out about 100.00 a month if you elect to take it.. Part D covers your Drugs and can be had for about 40. and up per month. Some Insurers will not sell you part D if you are not enrolled in a medicare suppliment plan. Something to consider is that an Insurer if forced to insure you without a rate-up because of medical conditions if you take the supplimental policy as soon as you are eligible. If you wait, they are not obligated and can rate you up (higher premiums) for existing conditions such as diabetes and heart problems. It seems that you are going to have to make some decisions that could have long term effects. Hope this helps.

Bob

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

jimrich is correct Gene. I am almost 70 and have nevere enrolled in part B or C - all you need to do is take part A which is free

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx for the info.

No pension. Fully retired.

Nothing is free. Taxpayers get the bill.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You have already paid for Mdicare.

You will pay for Obamacare as soon as they figure out how to take your organs without you knowing.

HM

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Our group is 41 people,was much more when we started, with BC Blue Shield 47 years ago. Was notified we are too small cancelled effective March 31,2012.
    All roads seem to lead to govt health care, just a matter of time so says BC. Lay offs starting.
    I heard the Kenyan in Kansas today lie after lie as people applauded whistled him blaming Bush,he was given a disaster when he was sworn in and so far he did wonderful things. He'll tell you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.