1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Mechanics question oil filter

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey everybody, hope everything is going well. I need a little info, I am helping a friend change the oil in a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am with a 2.2 it uses a CH9018 which looks like the filter element, not the filter that most cars use today with the metal "cup" around it. Does anyone know if this is some kind of nightmare. We are not NASCAR mechanics but we are not completely mechanically inclined. Any thoughts we would appreciate.

One more note the filter reminds me of those filters found on the old 55-57 Chevy's.

THANKS!!!!

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I think he has the Echotech 4 cyl.

Just unscrew the large nut on the canister, filters inside.

A little intimidating if you havent done it before.

regards.....Gerald

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Thanks anyone else.

4. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Nothing to it. Just be careful and make sure you use the new gasket that comes with the filter. A little grease keeps the gasket in olace real well. Don't overtighten. Fire it up and check for leaks. If no leaks you are good to go. hope this helps.

Jimmy

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My wife's Saturn Vue has one of those engines in it. The oil filter element is simple to replace.

Ed

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Or to make it real simple, just take out the filter and bolt the metal thing back. Then the car will run like a 265 Chevy V-8, very early vintage. Remember those? (Just kidding....)

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Would say that many will go to that type . Disposal stuff

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Oil will go everywhere, hate them.

9. AveragEd

Actually, oil doesn't "go everywhere." Remember our friend gravity? Every time the engine is stopped, the oil in the filter drains down into the crankcase. By the time you drain the pan, you can lift out the top-mounted oil filter element and a paper towel will easily catch the couple of drops that come off of it.

Ed

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Ooops, thought it was the filter in the pan with the large filter nut. THAT would go everywhere.

11. AveragEd

I remember those sloppy SOBs. Fortunately, these are a lot cleaner than even the common cannister-type filters.

Ed

12. Beaglemutt

Beaglemutt TS Member

Wife's Saturn with 3.0 L v6 has that type of filter.
    The first time I saw the filter, I too was a little unsure of how to proceed.

Here are some tips to make the job easier:
    Check the end of the filter housing for a square slot. A 3/8" ratchet should fit snuggly into the slot and allow you to open the filter housing with ease.

Wear gloves. The exhaust on the Saturn is within 8" of that filter and even using the ratchet, it is easy to get burned on the hot exhaust.

After you have removed the filter cap you can easily see how it fits together.
    The filter actually snaps into the cap of the filter housing.

Replace the gasket(o-ring)on the filter cap. I use a metal pick to roll the o-ring off the cap. A little grease or oil on the new o-ring will allow it to slide right into place. Make sure the o-ring fits into the groove evenly around the cap (not on the threads) or it will leak.

Reinstall the cap/filter and add the engine oil.

Don't forget to reset the "change oil soon" light.
    Oil reset switch is a tiny RED button labeled "OIL". It is located inside the black fuse box under the hood.
    See your owners manual for the location and procedure to reset.

Hope this helps

Beaglemutt

13. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement, 2005 Grand Am L-4 2.2 Vin F ...I pulled this from my Alldata Program for you.

Removal Procedure

Raise and support the vehicle.
    Place a drain pan under the oil drain plug.
    Remove the oil pan drain plug.

DO NOT use an open end wrench on the hex on top of the oil filter cap.

Use a 32 mm (1 1/4 inch) socket (1) on the hex on the top of the oil filter cap, or an Oil Filter Wrench on the outside diameter of the oil filter cap.

Remove the oil filter cap with filter.
    Remove the filter from the cap.
    Installation Procedure

Install the filter to the cap.
    Install the oil filter cap with filter.

DO NOT use an open end wrench on the hex on top of the oil filter cap. Notice: Over torquing the oil filter cap may cause damage to the oil filter cap resulting in an oil leak. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Use a 32 mm (1 1/4 inch) socket (1) on the hex on the top of the oil filter cap, or an Oil Filter Wrench on the outside diameter of the oil filter cap.
    Tighten the oil filter cap until fully seated, DO NOT exceed 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

Install the oil pan drain plug.
    Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
    Lower the vehicle.
    Fill the engine with oil. (5QT)

Hope this helps.

Vern

14. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

thanks for all the advice.....

15. miner1

miner1 Member

Yup, Toyota Camry, Avalon, also have the same thing. Not too tough to change and the filter comes with a little plastic thingy that you push up into the bottom of the filter housing to drain/relieve the oil out of the housing to reduce mess when removing the whole housing to remove the element. Don't forget to replace O-Ring(s)or you will have a jackpot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.