1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Mathews Z7 Extreme

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by noknock1, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

for those of you that PM'd me on the WTB thread I posted a couple weeks ago...

Well I picked the bow up today... Very nice overall with the smoothest draw I have ever pulled on a compound bow.

Bow set at 70.7 pounds which produces 270 FPS so says the chrono after 10 shots..

pro shop says once the string is broken in there might be an increase of a few FPS but nothing significant.

I can't believe how quietly this bow shoots!!!

I haven't purchased a new bow in about 10 years give or take and haven't seriously shot for the past 5 years or so and I can't believe the new technological design in these new bows!

80% let off... wow, a guy could grow a 5 o'clock shadow before he HAS TO let the arrow fly! LOL

Drop away rests, monkey tails, harmonic dampners, fiber optic slide sight with light... all new stuff to me, but it is cool! The only thing remotely the same between this bow and my old bow

[​IMG]

is the peep and release!!! HAHA

Now I have about 6 weeks before the schedule will allow me to hit the woods...

Just need to figure out a broad head to use... I have never used a mechanical as I use to hear of the problems with them... but the guys at the pro shop claim that most of those hicups have been cured.

Any opinions on mechanical broad heads or should I stay with the proven fixed blades?

2. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

fixed blades all the way for me

3. high 2

high 2 Member

You can`t beat the G5 fixed blade IMO. What draw lenght are you shooting? I would think it would be a little faster than 270FPS, unless you are shooting a short draw. I get close to that out of my Switchback with 28.5" draw at 67lbs. Larry

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

high2, I am 28.5 as well and bought a dozen Easten St. Epic 340 grain arrows with which came with 100 grain points.

The bow came from the factory set at 67# and I shot 3 arrows and was around 266 FPS. We cranked it down as far as it would go and then a quarter turn off to even it up and got 70.7# which resulted in the next 7 arrows being 270-271 FPS.

One of my friends told me that the difference between the Switchback, Extreme, and Z7 extreme is minimal when you compare the specs so he won't justify trading in his tried and true switchback.

the crono at the shop is set 5 feet from the shooting line. So I don't know...

The guys at the shop did tell me that the industry standard to get maximum FPS is a 30" draw with a 30" minimum weight arrow with absolutely nothing on the string to include serving, etc. except for about an inch where the nock is located with the weight set at 70#.

So between the D loop, monkey tails, peep, and the extreme amount of serving over the entire length of string and my short a$$ 5'10"+ frame there is no way I will realistically see 280 FPS seeing as how to have a hunting weight arrow with 3/8" exra length for the broad head...

Unless the chrono is off? Regardless, it is way faster with these carbons and then my old PSE with XX78's.

So now that I have been reading up on the Mathews and see they discontinue bows after about two years and each newer model has minor upgrades, I am assuming this model will suit me for a long time.

I still can't get over how quiet it is!! My old PSE sounds like a rifle shot compared to this!!!

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Can you make it 65% let-off, like the Outback? I think you would pick up some speed. I heard that a record kill with a bow at more than 65% let-off would not be allowed in the books. That might not matter I know, but I think you will pick up some speed at 65%.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Now that I am in the 40+ plus crowd, I need the 80% let-off... LOL...

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Where I hunt, I only have an extreme max of 30 yards so I think I am going to plenty fast as the guys told me that if I sight in my slide sight at 20 that I will be about an 1 1/2" high at 10 and 2" low at thirty.

So I am happy with basically dealing with one sight pin for hunting and will learn the trajectory at longer distances for 3D shoots once I start shooting them again.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use to avoid those mechanicals like the plaque. I heard all the horror stories and that was enough for me. I was a hardcore Muzzy 4-blade fan. Ran into a friend of mine and is a very sucessful and somewhat he is a somewhat known bowhunter in tre area. Long story short, he talked me into trying 100gr. NAP Spitfire mechanical broadheads. I have taken 6 deer with them now without a hicup and i'm sold. First off they shoot very true from my bow. Second i love the wound damage. I haven't lost a deer since using them. I think if i had a real severe angle quartering shot i may pass just for fear of a grazing slice wound which they were notorious for. Usually those wounds are not always fatal i see no need to have the animal suffer. They also come with a practice broadhead so you can practice without ruining your hunting broadheads.

I also have been using the Lumenok lighted nocks. If you haven't tried them you should. Great for finding your arrow after shooing an animal but i like how you can see the shot trail in the air. You can actually clearly and easily watch the arrow from your bow to the animal giving you great shot placement info. I have been shooting a Hoyt ViperTec at 68lbs.

......................................................................................................

stl flyn--I have heard some of that about the letoff. I have also heard where if you have lighted sights the same goes. I use a tiny light that helps light my pins. Its legal where i hunt and it really helps. I also have 80% letoff. I just don't care about those records and record books. I don't see where having 75%-80% letoff makes it any less impressive when you kill any deer with a bow. As with the pin light same goes. If you kill a big enough whitetail, people come out of the wood work with offers. If measures up it will be known as a Monster record books or not.

9. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

As far as I know the Pope and Young club changed their rules a few years ago to slow 85% let off. I am not sure on the lighted sight.

Luke Kalina

10. raziz

raziz TS Member

No question Rage broad heads all the way. Use nothing but the 2 blade rage cuts a hole and leaves a blood trail like no other .They fly the same as a field point and the come with practice tips . Took 7 deer last year found them all within 50 yds. Good luck Dave A

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Thanks guys for the info on broad heads.

12. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

On my new ProChrono Digital, 5ft from the muzzle for shotguns and one arrow length for bows. try this and see if it will increase your FPS.

13. high 2

high 2 Member

raziz, why are you so mad at the deer? Just kidding, seven is a bunch. You should have a freezer full. It`s been so dry in Nw Oklahoma I think I could leave my hose running for a couple of days and bring in the deer. The crops are terrible, no corn or beans. Milo doesn`t look like it will make. Glad I`m not a farmer. Larry

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

hfrogdogc, that makes a lot of sense. I will try that next time I have access to a chrono. I wonder why the one at the shop is that far?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.