1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.T. Marlin 39A golden"Mountie"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 007, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007

007 Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I am looking for a Marlin 39A Mountie .22 cal. If anyone has one they would like to sell or knows where a guy could find one please let me know. Thank You.

2. 007

007 Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I am looking for a Marlin 39A Mountie .22 cal. If anyone has one they would like to sell or knows where a guy could find one please let me know. Thank You.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I have one

Gene

4. g7777777

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I have one

Gene

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    O.T. Marlin 39A golden

No, the receiver sight is aftermarket.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    O.T. Marlin 39A golden

No, the receiver sight is aftermarket.

7. g7777777

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

$250 for mine

8. g7777777

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

$250 for mine

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

The reciever sight looks like a Williams "foolproof". Looks like the original open rear sight was removed & replaced with a slot blank. Same way I got mine equiped, also with a square "sourdough" front sight. Plastic buttplate replaced with a 3/4" Kick-Eez pad.

Sorry, mine's not for sale. Just playin' "show and tell"? They're a good little .22 rifle.

John C. Saubak

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

The reciever sight looks like a Williams "foolproof". Looks like the original open rear sight was removed & replaced with a slot blank. Same way I got mine equiped, also with a square "sourdough" front sight. Plastic buttplate replaced with a 3/4" Kick-Eez pad.

Sorry, mine's not for sale. Just playin' "show and tell"? They're a good little .22 rifle.

John C. Saubak

11. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

i have 1 it came with just regular sights, but i have a 3x12 scope on it now & ya dont need to remove the sights. not for sale tho. most accurate gun i ever owned with those 12 rifelings, you can put it in the same hole every time.

12. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

i have 1 it came with just regular sights, but i have a 3x12 scope on it now & ya dont need to remove the sights. not for sale tho. most accurate gun i ever owned with those 12 rifelings, you can put it in the same hole every time.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

What is a Marlin 39A “Mountie”?

I have a Model 39AS that has a 24” barrel, pistol grip stock, a nice walnut wood and cut checkering. I paid about $350 for a new one in 1998 and a new Model 39 is probably over $400 today.

My Model 39AS has a hammer block safety. The trigger, alas, is about a 4-5 # pull. It is reasonably accurate and will shoot less than 1” for 5 shot groups at 50 yards. This is accurate enough for squirrel hunting.

I also have two .22 bolt action target rifles with 2 ½” triggers that will shoot under 0.4” at 50 yards and often under 1” at 100 yards.

The Marlin Model 39 is a classic that has been made in several configurations. Some have straight stocks and some have pistol grips. The newer models, designated with an “S” as in Model 39 AS, have a hammer block safety. They all break down at the action for easy cleaning from the breech. Once, there was a “Boy Scout” model that had a shorter barrel and broke down into two pieces that fit into a sleeve that hung under the frame on a boy’s bicycle. Imagine today’s boy scouts on a bicycle expedition armed with .22 rifles.

To my knowledge, all Marlin Model 39’s will shoot the .22 short cartridge in addition to the long and long rifle. When I was much younger and used to squirrel hunt a lot, the Remington .22 short hollow point was death on squirrels and made much less noise than the high speed long rifle. Now, Remington makes a .22 long rifle sub sonic that seems to me to be just the ticket for squirrel hunting. After you shoot, wait a few minutes and you can hear the squirrels cutting again and you can shoot another one. With the noisy high power load, they seem to run off.

I used to shoot a well-used Marlin model 81DL bolt action .22 with a Redfield peep sight for squirrel. It would shoot .22 S, L and LR. At maximum elevation, I could pick off blackbirds on a fence rail at well over 200 yards with the .22 short hollow point. It was my first gun and I bought it, over my parent’s objections, after learning to shoot in Boy Scouts. I picked up coke bottles at 2 or 3 cents each to make the $12 purchase price. I put the money on the counter and got the rifle. No paperwork, just a handshake. I was 13 years old. Five years later, I traded in the Marlin on a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I still have the 870 but I wish that I had kept the Marlin 81 DL.

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

What is a Marlin 39A “Mountie”?

I have a Model 39AS that has a 24” barrel, pistol grip stock, a nice walnut wood and cut checkering. I paid about $350 for a new one in 1998 and a new Model 39 is probably over $400 today.

My Model 39AS has a hammer block safety. The trigger, alas, is about a 4-5 # pull. It is reasonably accurate and will shoot less than 1” for 5 shot groups at 50 yards. This is accurate enough for squirrel hunting.

I also have two .22 bolt action target rifles with 2 ½” triggers that will shoot under 0.4” at 50 yards and often under 1” at 100 yards.

The Marlin Model 39 is a classic that has been made in several configurations. Some have straight stocks and some have pistol grips. The newer models, designated with an “S” as in Model 39 AS, have a hammer block safety. They all break down at the action for easy cleaning from the breech. Once, there was a “Boy Scout” model that had a shorter barrel and broke down into two pieces that fit into a sleeve that hung under the frame on a boy’s bicycle. Imagine today’s boy scouts on a bicycle expedition armed with .22 rifles.

To my knowledge, all Marlin Model 39’s will shoot the .22 short cartridge in addition to the long and long rifle. When I was much younger and used to squirrel hunt a lot, the Remington .22 short hollow point was death on squirrels and made much less noise than the high speed long rifle. Now, Remington makes a .22 long rifle sub sonic that seems to me to be just the ticket for squirrel hunting. After you shoot, wait a few minutes and you can hear the squirrels cutting again and you can shoot another one. With the noisy high power load, they seem to run off.

I used to shoot a well-used Marlin model 81DL bolt action .22 with a Redfield peep sight for squirrel. It would shoot .22 S, L and LR. At maximum elevation, I could pick off blackbirds on a fence rail at well over 200 yards with the .22 short hollow point. It was my first gun and I bought it, over my parent’s objections, after learning to shoot in Boy Scouts. I picked up coke bottles at 2 or 3 cents each to make the $12 purchase price. I put the money on the counter and got the rifle. No paperwork, just a handshake. I was 13 years old. Five years later, I traded in the Marlin on a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I still have the 870 but I wish that I had kept the Marlin 81 DL.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I guess the basic model 39 has been built for a LOT of years with different sub-designations? Got my 39A "mountie" back in the early 1960's as I recall? At the time they made the model 39A with 24" bbl and pistol grip and the 39A "mountie" with 20" bbl and straight grip. Don't remember what the price was then, prob'ly just under $100. I traded in my old Winchester model 90, 24" octogon barrel, allowed me $15 for it. Guess I was prob'ly about sixteen y/o then, darn time sure flies when you're havin' fun?

John C. Saubak

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I guess the basic model 39 has been built for a LOT of years with different sub-designations? Got my 39A "mountie" back in the early 1960's as I recall? At the time they made the model 39A with 24" bbl and pistol grip and the 39A "mountie" with 20" bbl and straight grip. Don't remember what the price was then, prob'ly just under $100. I traded in my old Winchester model 90, 24" octogon barrel, allowed me $15 for it. Guess I was prob'ly about sixteen y/o then, darn time sure flies when you're havin' fun?

John C. Saubak

17. g7777777

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I sold the two I had- only mentioned one on here but I had a nice century with an octogon barrel also

probably priced them too low- one is going to a kid though and was in the back of my gun safe- the century

regards and keep the young ones shooting

Gene

18. g7777777

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

I sold the two I had- only mentioned one on here but I had a nice century with an octogon barrel also

probably priced them too low- one is going to a kid though and was in the back of my gun safe- the century

regards and keep the young ones shooting

Gene

19. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

Sir--I have several Marlins for sale---yes,I have a mountie for sale---cannot beat the other guys price(250.00)----if that deal doesnt work out--E-me--tnx

20. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

O.T. Marlin 39A golden

Sir--I have several Marlins for sale---yes,I have a mountie for sale---cannot beat the other guys price(250.00)----if that deal doesnt work out--E-me--tnx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

marlin 39a buttplate for sale

marlin 39a golden

marlin golden 39a mountie for sale

marlin golden mountie rifle target shooting reviews

marlin model 39 mountie 22

marlin mountie squirrell hunting

williams foolproof marlin 39