1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Manners

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Being snowed in and having nothing else to do, I got to wondering about some of my eating habits for which I have been criticized. That said, I was wondering what the proper manners in the following instances are:

Is it bad manners to drink coffee with your elbows on the table?

What about keeping your hat on during the meal?

Is it OK to eat your entire meal with the smaller salad fork because you like the feel of the smaller utensil?

If somebody needs the salt, sugar, etc. and you need it also, is it ok for you to use the condiment before passing it over?

If there is only a single biscuit, roll or cookie remaining in a bowl, is it OK to take the last one?

If you are eating and encounter something you cannot swallow, is it OK to put it back on your plate?

If you are dining with a slow eater, is it ok to eat at your own comfortable pace or should you let the slower eater finish first?

Is it bad manners to put a napkin around your neck so that you will not drop food on your shirt?

If you are at a large dinner and a platter of meat is passed around, is OK to select the largest piece or to take more than one piece?

Is it OK to use your fingers when eating fried chicken, bacon or similar food?

Is it OK to lift a soup bowl to your mouth so that you can consume the last drop of soup?

IS it OK to talk while you are eating or to chew with your mouth open?

Is it OK to wipe your mouth on your sleeve or your hands on your trouser leg?

If something really tastes bad, is it OK not to eat it?

Do you have to clean your plate so that the hungry children of the world do not suffer?

Just wondering,

Ed Ward

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ed, Maybe you should go out and shovel some snow..

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

school teacher, I don't have answers to the questions you asked. I do however know it is bad manners to have a cell phone on in a funeral home. My uncle died a couple of days ago and I was at the funeral home. There was a line waiting to offer condolences to my aunt and cousins. Well a cell phone rings while some guy is in line. The sob takes the call. I wanted to strangle the bastard.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

What the h--l is the difference. If you are confortable lifting a soup bowl to your mouth, or whatever, then do it. Quit worring about whether you are going to make other people happy over your manners and drink your soup the way you like. When you order it tell the waitress to put it in a cup if you feel that bad. Relax and enjoy life. Bulge

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

school_teacher every one of these things are 100% acceptable as long as you eat alone...LOL

Bob Lawless

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

If you eat like that, eventually you WILL be eating aloneā€¦but you get used to it.

7. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Speaking of cell phones,at my sister's wake just as the priest was
    beginning a prayer,his cell phone rang. Would you believe he answered it and carried on a conversation. We couldn't believe it.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

School_ teacher, based on your screen name one would think that you'd have the answers to your questions, The answer your skeeing is a resounding YES to each and every question. Please be advised that if chewing with your mouth open or talking while chewing it is in poor taste to bealch. What ever you do when at the table for any meal do not lean to one side a fart even if you know it's going to be silent that just wrong!

9. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

You set down at my brides table to eat,you take your hat off.

School-Teacher,what happen to saying GRACE?

Bocephas

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

It is impolite to pour wine right away after you open the box. Allow it to breathe for a few minutes.

Taxidermy should never be used as a centerpiece when setting a formal table.

Chewing tobacco should normally be disposed of before being seated at the table.

Never feed a dog across the table, especially with guests present. Make the dog come to your side of the table.

A thoughtful host should understand that local delicacies may not be fully appreciated by out-of-town guests. Best to save that possum stew recipe for another day.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't know, they sure liked my mudhen stew.

HM

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Bocephas:

Grace is mandatory. Depending on circumstances, we say either the Catholic version or a Baptist version.

My mom don't allow hats.

Ed Ward

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

If I didn't uncover when inside,,,,dad uncovered me,,,,I teach my son the same.

Little aside here,,,,several years ago my son uncovered upon entering the building,,,,a deputy who had forgotten to do so did and looked around to see if anyone saw him!! :D

14. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

school_teacher,

I know this post is kinda tongue in cheek snowbound related, but in our hogan Blondie Ibex considers the dining room table to be her own unquestionable realm of dominance & she rules it with the ferocity of a momma cape buffalo (shuddering to visualize her looking over her raised nose getting ready to charge!!!)She (&I) was raised old timey country & has a set of table manner rules that will be upheld. You come to her table with your front feet & face washed, your shirt buttoned & your hat off. Your elbows are put on your arms to allow them to bend, not to lean on her table. Bacon, pork chop & steak bones, fried chicken are just about the only things you are allowed to use your d!*k beaters for, chewing with your mouth open or talking with your mouth full can get you sent to the garage to eat with the doggos... the list goes on... but she also prides herself on the fact that her kids are always complemented on their table manners & if you leave her table hungry it is your fault she can put a spread together.

Mike

15. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

The one that bothers me the most is men leaving their hats on when seated at a meal. A generation ago, this would be unheard of. I see elderly men do it too, and I am puzzled by this. I realize social graces have eroded over time, but I was brought up in a family where manners were a sign of respect, not for just each other, but for ourselves as well. My father always said, "Manners make us men." Good manners have opened many doors of opportunity for me, and I always enjoy the smile I receive from a simple gesture of saying, "Excuse me," or "After you."

16. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

School-Teacher,great thread.This country needs more of the old school and much less of the new school.

But,then again what can you expect when mom is not home to cook the meals.

She is working.I think we would all be shocked at the number of households that never all set down and have dinner or supper together.

We wonder why the kids are like they are today.

The teacher can't paddle their ass,can't kick them off the school bus and let them walk three miles home.Been there done that,and got a severe #ss kicking when I got home.Kids no longer open a door for the older folks,first thing I had drilled in my head.

These kids grow up and know jack $hit about teaching their kids about manners.

The sad part is with big brother watching the parents can no longer discipline
    their kids.If you spank a kids butt you go to jail.

This country forgot manners a long time ago.

Bocephas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.