1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, Mac computer help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Baber, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baber

Baber TS Member

You said "out of the tool bar" Right. If so you did not do any damage. Everything should work ok. Its not necessary to have it in the tool bar. However if she TRASHED the whole systems preference file then you have a major problem. The Program "Systems Perference" should be in the Application folder.

Tom

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

First of all, I have never used a Mac, so take this with a very big grain of salt.

See if the application ("Pacifist") mentioned in the link above helps.

You might want to Google "SYSTEM PREFERENCES MAC Can't Find" or something like that (that's what I did) and read the various articles. You also should Google "Pacifist" before downloading it to see if anybody has had issues with it.

This was posted on the MacRumors forum:

"Repair Permissions:
    Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/).
    Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window.
    Then click the First Aid tab. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button."

I don't know if that will help or not.

Or, you could wait until a Mac expert comes along. :)

3. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Well just to make sure she didn't trash it, and check the trash. If not, check under recovered files in the trash, might be there. If it just got dragged out of the tool bar and made a "poof," then you're fine. But if you said you did check applications, then that is a bit odd.
    -Trappy

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

When you say 'tool bar' do you mean the dock at the bottom/side of the screen??

If the answer is yes, do the following...

Click on the hard drive to open it - now find the folder marked 'Applications' -click on it to open - look for the application named 'System Preferences.'

Place the pointer on this folder - press and hold the 'click' portion of the track pad. with this button held down (the folder will be in a highlighted color) drag it onto the dock - it will appear in the dock when you do this - be certain of the position and then release the 'click.'

You have now replaced the link to the folder.

If it is NOT found in the Applications folder you can search for it...

Again, click on the hard drive to open it, in the top right corner there is a search window (small magnifying glass) - enter System Preferences and hit 'search this mac' button.

A 'results' window will generate

You are looking for the Systems Preferences with a label under 'kind' reading 'Application' - if it shows up here you can follow the link to it and replace it to the 'Applications' folder (follow directions above after that).

If it is NOT found it was most likely deleted and needs to be re-installed.

One way is with the OS install disk (complicated), the other you might try is to go to another Apple (should be running a version of 10.5.x), copy the Systems Preference folder from that machine (i.e., onto a memory stick) and then copy from the memory stick to the Mac Air - it ain't pretty, but it should work.

David D

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI - I think you will be best served if you can copy this folder from a computer with the SAME operating system (I'm not really sure of this - but it makes sense to say this).

The last OS was Tiger (10.4.x), the present one is Leopard (10.5.x) - there is no 10.6 yet...

You said earlier that the machine was running 10.5.2 - so you are looking for another machine running 10.5.x (the 'x' value shouldn't matter...)

IF THIS FAILS>>>

You can also do what is called an 'Archive and install' - this involves replacing the entire OS, but it saves ALL of your personal settings, etc. it does NOT erase the hard drive and ALL your data will be preserved - it takes time to do it (as in walk away from the machine for a while), but it is very easy and very safe to do.

I'll track down a set of directions for you and post them later...

David D

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

OK here you go,

Follow the directions on this link - PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO STEPS 7 & 8!!

Seven asks you to select the hard drive where you want to install the OS - you MUST click the 'OPTIONS' button (step 8) on this page BEFORE continuing - this will direct you to another window where you may chose the 'archive and install' option, also pay attention to step 11 in the directions - this will preserve all user names, passwords, etc.

You say this is a MAC Air - I've not tried this with one specifically, but it should work.

Good luck,

David D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.