1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Looking for new Spotting Scope

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I am looking for a new / used spotting scope and am interested in opinions / ideas from the members here. The scope will be for range use only, initially out to 100 yards and perhaps longer in the future. Right now I have a compact Burris which is rated 12-24 x 50mm. It's in great shape but only really useable out to about 50 yds.

sseitz007_2008_010456.jpg

So, I am in the market for one that will enable me to see further. I need very clear optics because my vision isn't the best. The brands I think of for good optics are Leupold and Nikon. I've run across a brand named Vortex but haven't been able to find out much beyond their own marketing info. I'm thinking whatever I get, the specs should be something like 15-45x60mm or 20-60x60mm if I really want to see 22LR holes.

I'd appreciate any and all recommendation or guidance from the knowledgeable and wise folks here.

If anyone would like to discuss a trade for my Burris or perhaps buy it outright, I am also willing to discuss that.

Gene in Illinois

2. 1oz

1oz Member

For the money Leupold Gold Ring 12 x 40 x 60 HD are nice for a 60 mm objective .Then you can go on up Leica ,Zeiss and Swarovski .These 3 will have 1 that should cover all your needs . If you are spending alot of time behind glass good glass makes a difference.

3. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I would go out to the range and ask others what they are using and if you could take a look. Everybody has an idea of what works best.

This is the combination I use. I tried a couple of other spotting scopes and I like this the best.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/minox-md-62-spotting-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/minox-20-45x-vario-ocular.html

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Gene,
    Look at the Kowa and Meopta brands. I have a Kowa I purchased in 1971 and it still is one of the clearest at distance. Many of the special response Police groups use them as well. Meopta is another high quality scope. I own both and when looking at .22 holes at 100-200 yards, you can clearly see them with both.
    Pat

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a Leupold Gold Ring 12x40 60mm. I use it quite a bit in the field for spotting and it has taken a lot of knocks with no damage what so ever in the 15 years that I have had it. Resolution is great and on the range you can clearly see even the .17 cal holes at 200 yards - 30 cal holes can be seen at 400 yards. It is a nice compact scope that packs well.

A few of my friends have the high end Swarovski scopes and these are even better than my Leupold especially as the ground srarts to heat up and mirages appear. But they are also 2-3 times the price of the Leupold.

6. 1oz

1oz Member

The good glass can come in the last 30 minutes of a hunt and extremely early also . Wolfram hit it on the noise when he stated when it starts to heat up . I ground hog hunt 90-120 days out of the year . Good glass makes a difference from being worn out from eye fatigue and just feeling worn out . As a general rule with anything you get what you pay for . Leupold "Gold Ring" has a great warranty I've seen the 12 x 40 x 60 HD sell used $600.00 . Personally I use and Like Leica's equipment I no longer use spotting scopces as my Leica Geovids binoculars 10 x 42 HD view short range my rifle scopes range from 8 up to 80 power .

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

Go for a new one. Coating technology has come a long way in the past 20 years and it's the coatings that bring the light thru and cut down on stray and aberrant light and flares. I would go with Nikon over Leupold, when I sold them the Nikon were always brighter with less yellowing in the image. Eye relief is important if you wear glasses (on the range, duh!) try to get as close to 15mm if you can. I have found that most zoom scopes have a truly useful magnification of about 65% of there max before the image starts to degrade and get noticeably darker. A 20-60X scope with an 80 mm Objective will give you the light gathering power that you need as well as a useful 45-50X of max magnification for targets. Remember that glass quality, glass size, glass coatings and the scope's mechanics (focus backlash etc.) are all important aspects and the more you spend on a name brand, the happier you will be with the result. It's all physics and you can't have magnification without light, therefore you must have a large objective lens. Also you might want to look at 45 degree eye pieces. They are generally more comfortable to use but usually it takes longer to find your target because they point in an unnatural fashion. Best of luck. Bob

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Cameraland New York has good prices and good brands. Also many demo sales.

I shop rifle scopes there all the time. Birdwatching sites may have good info too. They like the good scopes and binoculars.

HM

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

optics planet .com

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon, Leica, Kowa, Swarovski are all top of the line glass. I have two Kowa 82mm lens. Great and clear as they come.

You have to now look at price, size and grade. Once you do so search the internet and you will find a better price. Also DO BUY THE CLEAR LENS FOR THE FRONT AND EYE PIECE. You will not regrete doing so. It will keep the glass from being scratched by dirt. I have them on all my spotting scopes and camera's.

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Gene, I don't know about their spotting scopes, but I just purchased a mid priced pair of Vortex binoculars ($600.00), and they are first rate.

13. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

14. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Well I don't know what happened to the text. But Gene I have this one shipped to your door from $125. I bought this new about 5 years ago and have only used it 3-4 times. Still in original box.
    Send me your email and I send more pics and specs.
    Rooferbob

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

PM sent to rooferbob.

Gene in Illinois

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Most long range shooters use the Kowa. If you've never look through one, do. They are the best I seen in "F" Class or the Bench. They are not cheap and you didn't say how much you wanted to spend. Low end, go Nikon or Konus.

17. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

I shoot hunter Benchrest competitions. We are limited to 6X Scopes on the rifle so the spotting scope is heavily relied upon to see bullet holes out to 300 for score ring breaks. I am using a Kowa with a 32 and 50X eyepieces, depending on mirage. Lots of guys use the Leupold spotters and love them. Some guys ponied up the big bucks for the Swaro and other top end glass. All depends on budget.

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am another happy Kowa customer. I have the 661 with the wide angle eyepiece. When I selected it I was thinging about compact as well as clear focus. I have a huge body 100 mm Konus. It was less than 1/2 the money of the Kowa. The view is very good but a wide angle eyepiece is not available and it is huge. No problem if you are taking it out of the car and setting it up on the bench. If you are looking for something you are going to carry all day, the Kowa is worth the money

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.