1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Looking for a good 30/06 load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tugboat, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I'd like a good '06 recipe to shoot medium game out to max range of 300 yards..
    Thanks in advance.....don

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

tugboat, you may get 10 favorite loads from other 06 users and there's a chance none would work best in your rifle. To get the utmost accuracy from your rifle/load, takes time working up to such a load thats best in your rifle. Sorry, thats just the way it works with rifles. Hap

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Medium game requires nothing heavier than a 165 grainer. A medium slow burning powder like IMR 4350 works great in the 06 with that bullet weight. The rest is up to you. Which 165 grain bullet? Which Brass? Which Primer? What seating depth? Neck size or full length size........

Jeff

4. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

4064 has always worked with 150 and 165 grain bullets for me in several 06's, some I had to back it down a little. Now all I reload for is a L61 Sako, its long in the throat and takes an extra grain or 3 to get max velocity. I started loading in the 60's, 47.5 of 4064 and a 165 Hornaday was the load for the old 03. The 06 is not a magnum so going for ultimate velocity may not be the best thing to do, case life etc. I would get a good digital scale, a chronograph, and a ballistics chart that shows the effect of wind. Then a Kestral or other inexpensive wind speed measuring device then go out with 2800 fps 06 load and show your buddies just what it will do. Enjoy Jeff

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Jeff knows what he is talking about.

Three tablespoons of 4350 (LOL) behind a good 165 gr BTSP will do all the '06 can do out to 300 yards.

The folks who designed it so long ago, if not by devine revelation, were either geniuses or just plain lucky. It is about the most powerful round the average shooter can use without flinching. It has the widest spectrum of ANY cartridge of useful loads. Bullets from a 85 gr beer can popper to the 250 gr thumper can be used with good effect for probably 99% of shooting anywhere in the world.

One more good thing about the 30/06 is that it is NOT picky about powders.

Some good powders for the 165 gr bullet are, H4350, H380, RL-19, H414, Varget, RL-15, BL-C(2). The fact that so many powders provide superior performance with one bullet weight is a measure of just how popular the round still is, and how component makers cater to it.

I like Varget and Alliant's Reloder series (their spelling) for hunting ammo. I also like Magnum primers (FED 215) for maximum hunting loads to be used in inclement weather, and canellured bullets (the Hornady 165 BTSP w/c is the only hunting bullet I use in the 30/06) that are crimped with the Lee Factory Crimp die. Match bullets typically do not have a canellure, and are not subject to the rough handling hunting ammo is sometimes subjected to.

For your premier hunting loads, use new brass, segregate by weight, and make them as uniform and sturdy as possible. If you are going to spend thousands on a hunting trip, buy a cheap chronograph, KNOW what you are shooting, and practice with your firearm. MEMORIZE the bullet drop out to as far as you will shoot it. Make sure your ammo will chamber before you go to the field. I use a chamber gauge.

Not only get your shooting skills in shape, but yourself as well. KNOW your firearm out to the limit of where you are willing to shoot it. Don't wait until the week of hunting season, or when you are in a hunting camp to see what your rifle will do. By all means, verify the zero, but shoot it now and get used to it. Develop the load. Prove the load, and get to know the load.

I am no longer obsessed with putting bullets in a very small group on paper, but still enjoy an accurate rifle.

Good Hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.