1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T lines for gas NJ

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dougbbbb, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

1 gas station open in Monmouth county. 100 deep with cans. 1.5 mile mile four hour wait for cars. Funny how every bank was open though.

Doug

dougbbbb_2010_1606337.jpg

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This is why some gas should be kept on hand. When storm season comes I keep some gas cans filled, plus fill up the pickup's main and aux tanks, as they can be siphoned. We don't drive the pickup much so it can serve as fuel storage for quite a while.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A generator without gas is useless, so like Brian said you gotta keep some gas around. Have plenty of 5 gallon cans. Wait till storm time and you won't be able to find any cans much less gas to put in em.

I used to have a 300 gallon tank out back, but the last time I filled it, it cost me $1200. Now I keep a small 20 gallon tank filled and have several 5 gallon tanks. I fill em when the price is cheap. I cycle the gas through the lawn mowers and atv to keep em fresh.

These gas generators are gas hogs. I got a 5500 watt generator and during the ice storm I was going through 10 plus gallon a day and I was only running it about a 1/3 of the time. So if you think you might be without power for a week you're going need 70 to 80 gallons!

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bisi if you have natural gas or LP for heat you can buy a kit from US Carbueration (sp) and convert your genset to run on either

That's what I did as we always have about 2500 gallons of LP on the farm all the time and it never goes bad like gas does

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Obo speaking in Green Bay just said "we are less dependent of foreign oil" and for the "last four years the economy has increased"

Hows that working for ya standing in line NJ!

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Timberfaller

Did you also hear him say to the WI crowd this A.M., : "In five days, you will be voting for a NEW President."

He truly must be the Messiah to make such a prophecy

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good reason for natural gas generator. Mine has been running since Monday evening. Expect fueling problems (gasoline&diesel) into next week. Chichay

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

No I didn't Rick, Had to turn channel, felt like puking my guts out with what I heard!!!!

I see they just called out the state police to control the "impatient" people standing in line AND the "gouging" has started!!

What should be done, put station owners in a cage outside the station with bins of rotten apples and other sort of food stuff and let the flinging begin!!

9. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Shoulda listened to the Bamster, and put in all those solar panels from Solendra and wind turbins and harnessed all that energy from Sandy, wouldn't have any fuel problems now.

10. Rick Barker

Lot of those wind turbines would have ended up in Lake Michigan.

11. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just remember when storing the "new" gas (that with 10% or even 15% ethanol) that this gas can cause problems just sitting and watering itself down and even creating some acids in the process. If you are going to store for any length of time be sure to use an ethanol capable fuel stabilizer. Even then you should be sure to use this stuff before any very extended period of time occurs.

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I could only imagine the frustration. I remember the gas lines and the "odd or even schedule for buying gas" as I lived in the Washington, D.C. area back in 1973. My prayers are with them. BT100dc

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had to go to Little Falls, New Jersey (near NYC) for a vehicle today. The dealership where we bought it had no power and is not expecting to have lights or heat for seven to ten days. The truck we bought had an eighth of a tank in it and we were able to bum a gallon from someone at a convenience store that was open for gas sales to emergency vehicles only. Rather than sit in a three-hour or longer line only to have the service station run out before we got the pump, we left it sit in Hellertown, near Bethlehem, and are leaving at 7:30 tomorrow morning with enough gas in a can to get the truck back to our office in Mechanicsburg,PA.

The folks at the dealership said people were fighting over gasoline and stealing mower gas out of other people's homes. When I asked if they had anyone spending the night in their building, they said they didn't and wondered why I would ask that. I reminded them that new vehicles have plastic fuel tanks that can be easily drilled with no sparks to worry about and the fuel could be drained into an oil drain pan. Even if each tank only has four or five gallons in it, four holes would yield a tankful for someone. "Never thought of that," they said.

In a radio message this afternoon, NYC mayor Bloomberg complimented the citizens of the city for their preparedness, saying that many of them bought new generators and enough fuel to run them for a long time but stored it all in their basements, which flooded.

Ed

14. chemist

chemist Member

Linden Hess 2 hr line for gas cans, cars went back a mile, 5 police cars directing the people, people took down cones blocking side streets and went up only to be turned around and run into oncoming idiots. Few neighbors tried to tell the belligerent ones , " you can't gr up the street" answer , I can do what I damn well want to ( that was the clean version). We we trying o clear trees and debris. No courtesy. City issues a 7 pm curfew and informed us hey have no definite answer when power will return. Have this iPad with AT&T service but all other Internet is out and phones are erratic due to high traffic. Will hope insurance coves damage before they go belly up from the claims. We were lucky compared to the shore and other areas.

Doug, if you read this, sorry I had to back out on the gun. That one wold have raised my spirits.

Rich Kaplan Chemist, roofer, woodcutter, yard cleanup. ...... Tired

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Now they know why "preppers" -prep, and sheeple get in line with the sheep!

16. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I waited at BJ's on Long Island for 2 hours the other night. They ran out of 87 octane. They then sold remaining high test at the 87 octane price. They now have my loyalty for life! I bought a 2000 watt inverter and my Durango
    powers up the lights in my house till we get power back

Joe

17. Rick Barker

All those boats you see damaged, beached and bunched up together?

People are stealing the gas from them.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It's Ironic to see all those anti drill liberals standing in line demanding fossil fuels. Where's the damn Exon tankers? bring us our fuel!!! Who's fault is this? This is NY city by God!

Drill baby drill!!!

19. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

New Jersey / New York .. 3.5 million people with > no electric

... no heat ..no gas ..no food ... 40 drg. temps..

You mean 'Obamas '' trillion dollar green energy

bullshix scam isn't > working ... ?

I'am '' STUNNED '. = LIKE HELL ..

win

20. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Why, I ask do they not park tanker trucks near the needy people and dispense gen fuel from truck? Many stations can't pump cause of electricity not shortage.

And to think of the BILLIONS spent on fear of people and the weather was the real challenge.... Go Figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.