1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Legal Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by unioncracker, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

I need some help please. If there are any lawyers out there. I'm running for the local school board. As most of you may know our schools are somewhat infiltrated with liberals. I am not one of them. It has been brought to my attention through the grapevine that the powers at be have put the word out that if members of the school system speak with me they could risk loosing their job. I would like to put a piece in the local paper regarding my stance on certain issues and I would like to mention this in terms of why people may be so afraid of me as to do these things.

I don't want to create a libalous situation that I can't fight money wise so how can I present this in a question/free speech format as to prevent any legal action.

Any help or suggestions.

2. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

How could members of the school system lose their jobs by talking to you? Try talking to them, and if they do not want to speak to you, then so be it, but I do not see how they could lose a job for just talking to you. They cannot give any inside information or anything like that, but for just talking to you, I do not see it. I AM NOT A LAWYER, It is just common sense.

Oscar

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Geese Oscar, If your friendly with the enemy, your fired. Pretty simple Huh?

Bob

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Good luck firing a teacher.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Maybe it is your TS name. LOL. You are not a fisherman, are you?

6. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

No seriously. How would you word it to make others think and it not be a accusation.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

How much validity is there in "hearing it through the grapevine?" I would seek out the source of the rumor and get it from the horses mouth.

Eric

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Truth is an absolute defense in a defamation lawsuit whether it be Slander (spoken words) or Libel (written words).

Provided you can write an article with truthful information, and you have the capability of proving that said written or spoken words are true, there should not be a problem.

Bear in mind that if you are relying on someone who has heard or made the "grapevine" statements, you should get an affidavit from them signed under oath. Further, before making a statement whether written or verbal that is potentially untrue and damaging to another person's character, you have a duty to research the truthfulness of such statements and verify that they have been made by the person/s who allegedly made them. Most people like to tell stories and repeat what they have heard, except if they are called to the witness stand. At that point they clam up or do not remember and you are left holding the bag.

BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY ARTICLE OR STATEMENT THAT COULD BE VIEWED OR INTERPRETED AS DEFAMATORY, YOU NEED TO CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR AREA WHO IS FAMILIAR WITH STATE STATUTES AND CASE HOLDINGS OF YOUR STATE.

The best advice I can offer you is to run for the school board and state your position on the issues and let the voters decide without any element of what current school board members have stated. This will prevent any lawsuits against you and also prevent any inuendo of negative campaigning, as most voters do not care for it.

It doesn't matter if you win a defamation of character lawsuit, it will still cost you a substanial amount of money to defend it. That money would be better spent now on your positive campaign about what you can do and how you can improve the school and education without creating more tax burden on the residents of your school district.

John

P.S. as Brother Dave Gardner use to say "If I was running for office I wouldn't say I'm running against my opponent, that just puts an obstacle in my way. No sir, I'd just tell them that I'm running for office." Even though he was a comedian and had more of a funny story to go with that statement, there is a lot of truth and common sense in it.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Candidates who trade in hearsay they can't prove might not look like the best choice...just sayin'.

10. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

No names. No inuindos. Nothing written or repeated that is second or third hand "through the grapevine" stuff.

blade819

11. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Thank you luvs2shoot. Your advice is what I needed to hear. This a small county where everybody seems to be related and the school system good or bad has become very much a part of the economy. This is what we get when we grow government, spend money we do not have and forget a real economy. I will never forget what Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev said in the early 60's that America will be taken without firing a shot. Guess when we become such good sheeple to the government and give up our guns then there will be no shot. God bless America.

Buddy
    USAF Retired

12. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

You are welcome Buddy, and good luck with your campaign.

John

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

unioncracker....by your thread, maybe you should move your ambitions upward to County or State?

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.