1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Lawnmower Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tachyon, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

So, my 25 year old 42 inch craftsman riding mower bit the dust this week. I have a little over an acre to mow and the shed door is 54 inches wide. I have looked at a bunch of mowers from various manufacturers and now I am confused. What do you use and recommend (or what would you stay away from).

2. d.delph

d.delph TS Member

Kubota zero turn. UNBELIEVABLE performance and service. Dan Delph

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

With the price of the Sears line,you can buy 3 or more for same price as a John Deere,Kubota,etc.So 3 times 25 and you'd be too old to mow after that.Economically,seems Sears would be the way to go.

Doug H.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Gravely. Don't look back

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I've had 3 42" Craftsmans on my 1.5 acres since 1980. Funny thing is each one of them cost $999. Wouldn't be surprised if their 42" was still around that price. They haven't required much maintenance and what there was, I've enjoyed doing. I keep looking at the 54"ers, but there's quite a price jump and there's some tight spots that would require a trimming mower. $3000 might get you a heck of a mower, but will it get you 3 NEW mowers? Good luck.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Cub Cadet 48" shaft drive.

Jim Skeel

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a 60 inch cut xmark zero turn its such a nice machine my dad bought a 54 inch one for his yard.. I also have a 50 inch belt drive cub cadet tractor type. the xmarks run circles around the tractor type..

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would tear it down and rebuild it but I am a cheap so and so and I like to fix things. I have a john Deere that I bought new in 1974. I rebuilt it once at a cost of $125, still going strong

9. Robb

Robb Member

Exmark. I have upwards of 800 hrs on mine. Changed belts last year but they were still running and change oil. Nothing else but mowing.

10. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I'm on my 2nd. John Deer since 1984. Both have the Kawasaki motor. The old one is still running strong with no re-builds, I use it without a deck to haul garden trailers etc. Both have run on Mobil 1 oil from the first day. I cut 1 ac. of grass, twice a week during the summer. The old one pushes snow during the winter. My neighbors new (2 year old) Cub Cadet is about a hunk of junk now, "BUT" he never changes oil or does anything good for the mower.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

New Cubs are garbage. Older ones are marvels of longevity, with a cult of users keeping ebay humming with spares. Mine is a 1979 model.

HM

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm still using a Snapper that my dad bought new in 1972. Yea, I've put a couple on engines on it and few other odds and ends, but it still cuts grass better than most new ones under $3K. I have on the agenda to tear the chassis down completely and paint it back to new. I'll probably spend $300 restoring the old girl, but it'll be worth it.

ss

13. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I don't know who makes the Sears brand, but I've had the best luck with their lawn mowers and snow blowers...

14. TC

TC TS Member

If you ever have need to pick up leaves or grass, get a Snapper 33" High Vac. Nothing sucks like a Snapper Hi-Vac. My 1972 with a 10 year old Briggs OHV on it now, works like a vacuum cleaner. It will suck up acorns off the lawn!

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The name of the manufactorer for Craftman, Poulan and some Huskavarna riders escapes me right now but is a brand of vacuum cleaner. Ah, finally it is Electrolux. I recommend those brands as parts are easily purchased and dependent on applications they will normally mow an acre of land for many years. One other thing, never I repeat, never buy parts from Sears as you can get them for less than half of what Sears charges without shipping cost. Jackie B.

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We have had Kubota for years. All have been diesels. We have had 3. We bought it with a neighbor so it was not that much. With us both we mow about 8 acres per cut. It does get a good work out.

You can also go to a number of repair shops that work on mowers and and talk to the people there about what is a good mower to buy. Let them know how much you mow and what kind of ground you have to work with. They will know what is junk, what will keep working and what is easy to work on and will not brake the bank.

17. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Bought a 60" zero turn Swisher from Rural King a couple of years ago. Mow 2 1/2a and have very little trouble from it. You can also order it from Northern tool. It doesn't have all the fancy cowlings, etc, but the grass doesn't seem to care.

18. WCR

WCR TS Member

Get a real mower Country Clipper zero turn. Joystick control leaves the other hand free for that beverage on a hot day. Deck flips up to clean and change blades.

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My wife likes her 4720 John Deere, but it wouldn't fit in your shed, it's really a nice mower, has drink holders and all the neat stuff, the best part is the A/C even keeps your drinks cold longer

The only problem we have had is we've had to replace the belt on the mower a couple of times, it's a double C section belt, but she gets carried away some times in tall grass and the belt just can't take the 66 HP engine

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

John Deere farm tractors are one thing (I don't have a problem with them) How ever the lawn mowers are another thing. I have yet to see one without in time having some major problems. Deck mostly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.