1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Lawn Disease

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I was wondering what everyone recommends for lawn disease? I have St. Augustine carpet grass and am having a problem with “Brown” patches showing up in my front yard.

I did a google search and found a few different diseases so I was wondering if there is a product out there that would cure them all.

Thanks
    Jerry

2. T/C

T/C TS Member

Right next to a brown patch, take a long blade knife and cut a 1 foot square of turf and peel it back. Check the grass root and soil and make sure your lawn don't have grubs. Grubs can cause brown patch also. Bayer Grub-X, or Ortho Grub-B-Gone cured my lawn problems. Just another thought.

3. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Hi I haave same thing going on I have a profesional lawn service but they didnt take care of it , 3 time now so I got some grub killer and its working also used some pesticide fugicide with the grub killer its clearing up 8 days after 1 st treatment will reapply after 2 weeks .

Pat Kelley maybe u have same problem ,My grass is Kentucky Blue and Pre Rye
    also have irrigation systems in lawn

4. mearss1

mearss1 TS Member

Have any dogs visiting your lawn?

5. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

Sounds like it could be cinch bugs, I suggest Spectra's Triazcide. Get the one with the hose attachment built in. Should cost around $10 to $13 and will cover over 7,000 square feet. Spray on the lawn as well as a good 5 foot diameter around the infected areas. Run the spinklers for about 5 minutes to get it down into the soil and you should be set. This stuff is great and kills anything that crawls.

Home Depot and Lowe's sells it.

6. BP348

BP348 Active Member

To man y spots to be my neighbors dogs. I tried the Chen LAwn thing last year, They told me I had one type of disease in the front and a different type in the back. Cost me $100 that's why I was wondering if there was a different product I could get. What ever it was it killed my backyard and I had to re-sod it a few months ago. It affected the entire neighborhood, everyone had it.

I'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow see if they have a fungicide/pesticide combo I can put down myself.

7. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Check with your county extension agent if you have one. Most of the time they are quite helpful.

8. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

Jerry, Don Kerce here former Master Gardener from Putnam County. It sounds like you may be in the lower southeast,

Take a coffee can and cut both ends out...go the edge of the brown spot and insert the can down to the root area. fill the can with water and watch...If you have chinch bugs, they will float to the top of the grass. Do this in a couple of areas...half the can in brown grass and half in green grass.

If this doesn't work then I would call my local extension agent and they normally will have someone come out. You can probaly pull up thier web site and it will explain this and other procedures to go through.

9. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

In St Augustine the likely cause is chinch bugs. It's amazing how quickly they can destroy an entire ST A lawn. Get after them ASAP

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

M511819 probably has the right answer. Dogs can be the issue.

One solution. Cut the grass uniformly in the springtime. Spray liberally with Round Up. Spray paint the remains a realistic green color after a week or so. Worry about it again next year if anything survives.

11. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Don,

I'll give the coffee can a try. I'm in South Texas. I've never heard of an extension agent I'll have to see if we even have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.