1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T LAW MOWER PROB

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by break25, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break25

break25 TS Member

O/T LAWN MOWER PROB

I am trying to help a neighbor out by fixing his mower.

When trying to start the mower while pulling on the starter cord, when you think it is about to fire, the cord is pulled right out of your hand.
    The cord rewinds ok at other times.

Can it be the starter dogs not retracting?

Chazz

2. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

CHECK THE FLYWHEEL KEY, THEY MADE MADE OUT OF ALUM. & THEY WILL SHEAR OR A PARTIAL SHEAR & THROW OF THE TIMING & MAKE IT FIRE AT THE WRONG TIME?
    JR

3. target 50

target 50 TS Member

check blade,the blade is not tight

4. tlea

tlea TS Member

Listen to hoghunter. The aluminum keys are made to shear. It may not LOOK sheared, but just replace it.

5. TC

TC TS Member

Had a B&S 5HP Horizontal with gummed up starter dogs that did the same thing. Cleaned it up and worked fine.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Please believe Mr. Hoghunter....... The man knows exactly what he is talking about. The engine is out of time and the timing is controlled by that aluminum flywheel key.

The starter dogs is a type of a ratchet assembly and will not release when an engine kickback happens. Starter dogs release the other direction......

A loose blade is the least likely thing to cause your kickback problem.

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok I work at a Brigg's plant we make 16,000 complete motor's a day at our plant.

Ok they are 5 horse and down.

Email me above and ask what you want to know and im sure I will get you some correct info.

Foghorn220

8. break25

break25 TS Member

Thanks Guys.
    I'll try to look at it tomorrow. I'll look at the Flywheel key and get more information for Foghorn.

Happy Thanksgiving

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If your neighbor remembers hitting something substantial enough to kill the motor and then it wouldn't run afterward, the sheared flywheel key is the answer. I've even seen one break the crankshaft doing this. Hopefully you're not dealing with that. Good luck.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Hey foggy, What's up with all the plastic/nylon internal parts on the newer BS engines. Cracked open a 5 horse last week and to my surprise it had non metallic cam gears and cam lobes.

Jim

11. break25

break25 TS Member

TO ALL. GOT WITH MY FRIEND AND HE DID HIT SOMETHING.TURNED IT OVER AND OIL LEAKING.

THE MOWER IS A BUST THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.

HAPPY TRHANKSGIVING

CHAZZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.