1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Large Rifle/Large Pistol primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Can anyone tell me the difference (other than the obvious) between these two primers? I bought some plastic shells in 38 special and a large pistol primer is specified to load them (no powder). They are used for indoor shooting practice. I've got a lot of Large Rifle primers left over with no intention of ever using them (sold the large caliber rifles) and would like to use them up. I think they might be a little "hotter", but other than than that...???

Bruce

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They are hotter. The cups are thicker. A pistol firing pin strike might not fire the primer. Give it a try and let us know if you survive. HMB

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

bruce,the speer plastic target bullets are fun to shoot,one warning i was shooting at a box packed tight with news paper missed the box and left a hole in my 1/2" drywall while shooting in the basement.the wife wasnt too happy with me,mark

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Don't use large rifle primers in handgun loads with the exception of the plastic shells/plastic bullet loads and in centerfire contender loads which call for LR primers. As stated, harder cups, hotter fire.

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Never substitute a rifle primer (small for large or visa versa) and adhere to loading manuals. Also, keep lose primers, if you spill some, in original containers in case you don't get back to the reloading for months. Safety has to be the priority. Darrell

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

With this type question and some answers given we should wonder why some of the guns on the range blow up? Seems funny to me that a person will save $10 by using "left over primers" in a $10k gun. The OP didn't mention the $10k gun I'm just saying.

I have a few of "loading bench chemist" that I will not shoot around. I do stand back and get a good laugh every now and again, I just hope no one dies from their stupidity and yes I have told them that.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

They may be a little too hot for the plastic bullets. At one time the rifle primer was about .005 longer. So in a pistol case they wouldnt seat flush. Dont know if that is same now. I do know the primer used in a shot shell primer cup is longer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.