1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Large HD Flat panel TV?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by llano bill, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llano bill

llano bill Member

Need recommendations for large, 50 to 60" HD flat panel. ie, hang on the wall, TV. Looking for HD, 1920X1080, LCD or Plasma. Any one want to share their experience? Also, where did you buy yours? Thanks!

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

LCD is the only way to go. Plasma will etch in a station logo or any image that stays in one place. There are other advantages also. I went into Sony's website and there was data on both LCD and Plasma. I bought mine at Sears (Sony) but there are a lot of places out there. I'd go shopping and compare prices after you decide on what model you want. One thing to remember is you buy cheap you get cheap. Good luck.

Bill

3. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

I have a 42" HD Panasonic Plasma and it's incredible. I was so satisfied I moved on up to a 50" HD Panasonic Plasma that was on sale at Costco. It's now back up to $2599 but down from the original $2899. I bought it at $2399. They have a Sharp 52" LCD that's on sale (need $500 coupon from Costco book) for $2200. It looks great. My cable provider (Time warner) had a neat survey available that let you input the parameters of how you used your TV. In my case they recommended Plasma because I indicated I watched movies and sports. When I talked to the Costco Electronics guy, he indicated that the Plasma has a faster refresh rate and better for fast moving sports. He also said that the 52" Sharp was an excellent unit. My new 50" Panasonic is a 1920 x 1080. I believe the Sharp LCD is too.

Augie

4. letts

letts TS Member

I have a 36" LCD. Players are blured when you watch fast sports like hocky, I will not buy another.

Letts

5. likes-to-shoot

Mines a Sony 42" LCD and I have no problems like that.

Bill

6. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Spend the extra few dollars and buy a SONY. Paul in Virginia

7. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

The best picture will be from plasma displays. Best in class is Pioneer Elite, followed closely by the new Panasonic models just coming out. Downside is the higher cost vs LCD displays and the risk of burn-in.

LCD displays are going to be less expensive and lighter, although they will not produce the image that a plasma will. LCD displays also suffer from poor off-axis viewing.

I have been in the custom A/V business for 20+ years. What ever you decide, make sure that the store you purchase from will stand behind the set and is able to provide service after the sale.

PG

8. likes-to-shoot

Another thing to remember is that your tv reception is only as good as your antenna, dish or cable provider supplies.

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

The LCD TVs that I looked at had a great picture. Article said LCD are twice as good as were before. Salesman also recommended the LCD. I still have the regular TV and also am looking. Ray.......

10. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I spent months researching the flat screen purchase decsion. I bought a Pioneer Elite Plasma 50" about 12mos ago. It was the best purchase decision: even a year later it is still the best picture out there. I bought by walking into a large store and walked around and found the best picture quality w/o looking at price. It was a little more $ but it is far superior to anything out there. The plasma burn in scare thing: if you leave on to a fixed image for a couple of weeks it might be a problem but it really isn't. Go for picture quality and buy the largest you can afford. You will not regret it!

11. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Got a 42' LG plasma and I love it. We've also got a couple of LCD's and one 65" LCD rear projection. The rear projection is decent enough, but hard to go to after the plasma. The LCD's are smaller, in the 20" to 33" range. Decent enough, but nothing measures up to the plasma.

Tony

12. dzeh

dzeh Member

Have the Sony 42" LCD. Spoke with numerous sales and tech people in the business and many recommended the Sony LCD. Am very pleased. Also helped when the cable guy did the configuring for me. Gotta make sure you have an HD capable receiver or cable box and subscribe to the HD service. Get good cables too. I think setting one up properly can make a big differnce in what you see. Football games are awesome. You can see blades of grass. You also get to see how lousey some actors complexions are on the HD movies. Can't beat a Sony.

13. llano bill

llano bill Member

Thanks to all for your input! harley

14. lvshooter

lvshooter TS Member

Trapperpg is right on! The Pioneer Elite is by far and away the best out there, but you will pay a little more. I did a lot of research and talked to many people in the business that install and sell flat panels and projection units. I personally bought the Pioneer 5071 and never looked back.

15. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Bought 43" Pioneer plasma and it has jaw dropping picture..Even the commercials are great to watch..When Tiger puts you can see the grain on the green..Lots of good units out there..I think I paid $2000 for the Pioneer..Very,very happy with this purchase..Mizzou

16. mshep

mshep TS Member

I've been doing my share of research as well. One thing to consider is the Plasma has a very reflective surface. In a room with a light it'll put a glare on the tv making it hard to see. LCD avoids this. Those above mentione Pioneer as the best plasma. Sony and Sharp seem to be the best in the LCD arena.

17. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

I,ve had a 50" Magnavox plasma for close to 2yrs. Got it on sale at wally world for $1800. Great picture,but we are on an HD service. No burn in, and I do not know anyone with a plasma that has had this happen to them. For the money I think plasma is the way to go. JD

18. FelixD

FelixD Member

I bought a 55 inch Sharp LCD about at the beginning of the year. It's great. Well worth the money. I still can't believe how great the picture is. Watching a live baseball game in hi-def is unbelievable.

19. llano bill

llano bill Member

Again, thanks for input.

20. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Regarding LCD TVs, how much better is the 1080 vs the 720? I'm a noobie looking into these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.