1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Laptop question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a 1.7 gig Ibm A31 laptop and did not buy it with a dvd player/burner. I see several for sale on Ebay but don't know which ones will fit. Is there some key or do most of them have a bay that is compatible with most players. I was looking at a NEC 6650 and think it will fit. Help please. Thanks Jackie B.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go to a computer store and really let them guide you

Best Buy or Compusa sell these on sale so cheap- you woudlnt want to risk buying used for the price you can get new- and often an older model, purchased on sale will be all you ever need

my thoughts

Gene

3. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Suggestions:

1. Go on the IBM website and look up the specs for your model. If possible get the EXACT model DVD player/burner they use as OEM. Then search the web for that model.

2. Ditto the above but instead of finding specs, find the accessories IBM sells for your model. I bet that might tell you what to get.

3. Find a web forum or users group for ibm laptops and either search it or ask the question.

I have a MacBook and recently replaced the hard drive with one of larger capacity. These are the steps I went through to find out EXACTLY what I needed.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. PVH

PVH TS Member

Jackie, good advice from Gene and Gene above. I work for a company that has bought IBM (now Lenovo) laptops for 10+ years. They have used several versions of optical drives in their laptops over the years and they do not all interchange (different thicknesses, plugs, etc.). You have a couple of options. First, you could get the model number for the laptop you have and order the internal drive accordingly, or you can get a USB DVD burner and use it. I would recommend the USB option since that will allow you to easily use it on multiple systems if desired. Lenovo part number for their USB DVD burner (burns CD's and DVD's) is 41N5565 and it comes with the software. If you want to go for the internal version, if you post the model number from the bottom of the laptop, I can look back through the old reference sheets for the part number. The model number is 7 characters and may have a dash between the 4th and 5th character (i.e. 2652-P5U). Of course, a third (and most fun option)would be to just buy a whole new laptop,but I realize finances don't always allow for that.

5. Shooting Jack

Thanks for your responses. The model number is 2652-J3U. I would prefer the internal unit but may go with the external based on cost. Thanks again. Jackie B.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

There are companies out there who will take your lap top and install the drive you want and send it back to you via FEDEX in 24 hours. Having put new Hard Drives in a couple of lap tops I am convinced its not worth the hassle and grief to do it your self. Say away from anything on EBay.

Tom

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If your in Michigan, there is no more CompUSA. Out of business.

Jerbear

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Ditto Admiral Art. Outdated firmware means the drive may not have the correct write strategy for currently made discs. If it cannot match the MID (media i.d.), it will go to default write strategy, which will be less than optimal. Updating firmware isn't difficult, but it's a pain, especially for a novice, and it does pose risks. If there's a power outage while updating, you get a stuffed drive.

9. Shooting Jack

Thanks fellas, I think I will just take it to a computer show and get it done. I do appreciate your input and wish you all a Merry Christmas. Jackie B.

10. PVH

PVH TS Member

Jackie, I sent you an e-mail with the subject line "ThinkPad A31 Information".

11. Shooting Jack

PVH, I didn't get it. I'm sure you knew to remove the x's. Maybe I just haven't gotten it yet. Thanks Jackie B.

12. PVH

PVH TS Member

Jackie, I resent the e-mail just in case, so you may get it twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.