1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ky state trooper shoots coondogs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by comp 1, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

An eastern ky. man was looking for his lost coondogs yesterday morning when he was given their tracking collars by a ky. state trooper. The trooper told the man that his coon dogs had treed a coon in the trooper's back yard and their barking was keeping him awake so he shot the man's dogs. The dog's owner has filed a complaint with the post commander--stay tuned for more info.

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Isn't that a Capital crime in Ky?

That's a very impulsive and cruel way to deal with dogs just doing the job humans bred them to do.

If someone killed my dog just for trespassing, my best hope would be a plea for temp insanity because justice would be served right then and there.

Yes, I'm one of those nuts that considers my dog part of the family.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

if it is a true story, he will lose his badge

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Minnesota allows any citizen to shoot a dog (usually plural) that are chasing deer.

5. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

Here in Oklahoma, State law allows us to shoot any dog that is chasing or harrassing livestock. Okieshootist (David H)

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I thought that a coon dog was a vital part of life and living in Kentucky and therefore protected under the "Coon Dog being a Vital Part of Life and Living in Kentucky" laws of the state ... I'd say that Ol'Boy what shot that dog is in a heap of trouble with everyone ceptin them Coons in Kentucky (bowing my head) ... May they both rest in Peace when this is all over ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

Where's this at?

8. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Please post the rest of the details as available. If true this guy's in deep "S---" Wonder how the owner refrained from beating the crap out of the cop?
    Rooferbob

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I agree with shannon 391, but in Pa. 1987 law you have the right to put down a dog if it becomes a threat to you, attacks your poultry, or your livestock. This guy will beat it saying the dogs turned on him. I don't know the KY laws.

10. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

It's an old rumor that you can shoot a dog chasing a deer in Minnesota. You better call the warden, I believe he will give you a different answer. I know of one case by Walker (a friends dog) that was wounded by the neighbor and his costs were Approx.$5000 after the courts were done with him and he had to pay "all costs" including the attorney fees. Unfortunately it did ruin the dog. Now he is just a pet. Never assume anything. Glenn

11. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

This happened in letcher co. ky.--the dogs were shot by a trooper from the Hazard ,ky post because they had treed a coon in his back yard and the barking was keeping him awake. Ky. law states that any peace officer can shoot any dog running loose between sunset and sunrise with the EXCEPTION of dogs determined to be hunting dogs that may be lost or engaged in hunting--this trooper is probably GONE as well he should be. Most people familar with hounds find them to be in general VERY docile dogs and it wouldn't be hard to get the owner's name off their collars--the trooper and the matter is under investigation by the Ky. state police and quite a stink is being made of this.

12. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

It does make the trooper look bad, if true.

Anyway, that reminds me of an incident I witnessed first-hand.

About 40 years ago, one day we found half our chickens dead. My Father looked around and said it was dogs running loose, and it happened the evening before. I asked him how he knew and he said you'll see, they'll be back. So we sat on the back porch in view of the henhouse with rifles at the ready that afternoon.

Sure enough, late that afternoon they were back, three of them, heading for the henhouse. They didn't make it, and I have no apologies. We called the cops and showed the policeman the henhouse, the dogs, and the collars. Then we all went to the owner's farm, about a half mile away.

The cop explained what happened and the guy got irate, demanding to press charges. The reply was, you got no complaint coming. Then he turned to my Father and asked if he wanted to file for damages, he'd testify as to what he saw. The fellow's eyes got big when it dawned on him he had no leg to stand on. My Father let it go, but in hindsight, I think he should have made the guy pay. It is highly irresponsible to let dogs run unsupervised. This was in PA in the late sixties, dunno what the laws are now.

I don't think people realize how much trouble dogs can get into when they let their dogs run loose.

Nevertheless, if the KY story as told above is accurate, I don't think the trooper was justified. Is there confirmation somewhere?

13. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Fritzi33, associated press has picked up the story --if you can find it.

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Trooper under investigation in dog shooting identified

By Russ Cassady Staff Writer

The Associated Press has identified the Kentucky State Police Trooper being investigated for allegedly shooting a Pike man’s hunting dogs.

The trooper has been identified as Hazard Post 13 Trooper Adam Hall.

Kentucky State Police confirmed this past week they were investigating the shooting of two dogs belonging to Virgie resident Arnold Coleman, who said he lost the dogs, named Hawk and Star, while using them for hunting in Pike County.

Coleman claims his dogs were shot by Hall, who, according to Coleman, said he shot the dogs because they had “treed” something near his home and their noise was keeping him awake.

According to a 2005 Kentucky State Police press release, Hall was involved in a fatal shooting in Letcher County in March while responding to a domestic dispute at a home in Blackey. Hall arrived at the home at approximately 12:49 a.m. and advised that 27-year-old Jonathan Flynn had fired shots with a firearm, the release said.

A few minutes later, the release said, another trooper arrived on scene and Flynn allegedly pointed his weapon at Hall, who fired upon Flynn. Flynn was pronounced dead by the Letcher County Coroner’s Office at 2:10 that morning.

According to a different press release, Hall was one of eight troopers awarded the KSP Citation for Bravery last year. The award, according to the agency, is awarded to troopers who “perform acts of bravery, without regard for personal risk, of clear and obvious peril and clearly above an beyond the call or risk of ordinary duty.”

Coleman said yesterday he is awaiting the outcome of the KSP investigation into Hall’s actions.

“We’re just leaving it up to them to set a date or whatever,” he said.

He said his wife has been contacted by the humane society in Letcher County, which told her they were considering doing their upcoming fundraiser — a poker run — in memory of Star and Hawk

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok we had a city cop at the nearby town that had killed a few guys in the past but I guess that his life was in danger at the time but I never heard him killing someone for making to much noise im sure even if the trooper was to go out and kick the dogs or shoot near them then they might had ran off but maybe not since they was doing what they was suppose to.

The best thing to have done was for the trooper to shoot the coon out of the tree and that would have ended the whole problem because the dogs would had thought the job was complete.

By the way im from the western part of KY.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/animals/dogs/?action=view&current=roosterdog.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foggy

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Would you shoot your neighbors kids for loudly playing ball on your back lot?

I know they should be on there own property but sometimes dogs and kids don't reconize borders and get away from you for a minute. Even the most behaved pet can get loose and "run" for a bit.

If they growl at your kids or attack your livestock that's a different story.

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I bet the dogs owner was on some cops "list"!!

tony

18. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Glenn Mcleod,

I was under the impression in Minnesota that it was unlawful NOT to attempt to kill dogs that are running deer.

I would have to see the details on your friends case, not sure that I buy that result... I am not a proponent of whacking dogs, but if people took the initiative to control their pets we wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this.... or the constant parade of pitbull threads in here....

LWL

19. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I'm sure SteveL is going to get flamed for his post........good luck!

tony

20. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Obviously not all here have an appreciation for hunting dogs, nor do they have an appreciation for realizing that life in the country is sometimes noisy and sometimes smelly. I hunted the big cats and bears with dogs in northern Maine and the fellas that owned those dogs would not have taken it well if you shot them cause they had something in a tree near your house and you did not like the noise. but hunting is a way of life up there and no one up there would do such a dastardly deed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.