1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Kudos for Doug Braker on my Nylon 66

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

A little off topic, but I wanted to share this with the enthusiasts out there. Almost a year ago, I picked up a used Remington Nylon 66. This 22LR rifle is credited with introducing synthetic gunstocks and has been called by Field & Stream one of the "...50 Best Guns Ever Made." The gun had been in a closet for years, uncleaned and unoiled. I guess you could say it was shot and put up dirty.

When I got it, I disassembled it and was amazed at the gritty, sand-like matter that had accumulated in the action. The lady I bought it from admitted she hadn't ever recalled cleaning it. After quite a few sprays of Gun Scrubber and some scrubbing where appropriate, I oiled the parts and put it back together and took it to our range. It performed flawlessly. And what fun to shoot with a fixed front sight and a slightly adjustable rear sight.

The Nylon 66 was first produced in 1959 and over 1,000,000 of them were made over the next 30 years. Mine was made in June 1967, based on the barrel codes. In 1959, over a period of 14 days, Remington's exhibition shooter, Tom Frye, shot at 100,010 wood blocks thrown into the air using 2 Model 66s. He hit all but 6 and had no malfunctions.

Even though mine shot as it should have, the barrel and the receiver cover had some surface rust spots, so I decided to send the blued parts to Doug Braker for a reblue. The photos below do not do justice to the job that Doug did, but suffice to say that the metal parts of the rifle now look new. The Zytel (Nylon) stock still has some scuffs and scratches which I'd like to buff out, but it is not cracked or split.

Call me crazy, but I like to find old guns and bring them back to as close to new as possible. I probably could not sell this Nylon 66 for what I have in it, but I don't care. It's a part of our firearm history and I'm glad to have one.

Thanks to Doug Braker for another outstanding job.

Gene in Illinois

sseitz007_2008_010457.jpg

sseitz007_2008_010458.jpg

sseitz007_2008_010459.jpg

sseitz007_2008_010460.jpg

2. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Collecting Remington nylon rifles in recent years has become very popular with a strong collecting community. Values of the rarer models have gone through the roof. I have been lucky enough to put a complete collection of Remington nylon rifles together to include every model cataloged including some variations and new in the box guns.

Gene good luck with your gun.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have two. They are a great gun.

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

whiz-bang:

Wow. I'm impressed. Having one of each model must have taken a while.And finding a new in box one - I can only dream.

I've read a couple of the Nylon blogs/forums and know the interest in these 22s is high.

Any ideas about buffing out the scratches on the stock? Or do I leave them there for 'character'.

Gene in Illinois

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I bought a Nylon 66 sometime about 1962 and used it as a squirrel and rabbit gun in the Mississippi delta. It got wasted a few years later. That was a great little gun. It had a brown plastic stock.

Year before last I bought another one with a green plastic stock. The gun has doubled in value. The one I have now needs some clean up but it shoots great. They are wonderful guns.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gene, if the scratches are slight they can be sanded and buffed out. I did it on one that I gave my kid

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You can be proud of your restoration, excellent job, excellent rifle.

Kip

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Lousy triggers though, at least on mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buffing out remington nylon