1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Kolar Max TA opinions.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I'd like some feedback from shooters who have gone to the high rib versions of the standard gun they had been shooting. For example, Kolar standard rib to the Max version or K-80 standard to the special trap high rib.Has the change to the "heads up" style improved your game, or was the change a mistake? Opinions? Thanks.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I had the regular unsingle combo, which was stolen 4 years ago. I went to the T/A Max unsingle combo when I replaced it. I traded the high rib unsingle barrel for a high rib top single barrel at the Grand last year. I haven't been able to shoot it much as I have had shoulder problems and surgery. I think I was just getting lost with the really big rib on the unsingle. I think the new barrel is going to work well for me. Bill Malcolm

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I was rared on the high rib guns. I have owned K80 trap special high rib. I have owned the Max T/A high rib and liked them both. For some odd reason I just purchased a Max T/A mid height rib and love that gun to pieces. I received that gun last Thursday, moved the comb over an 1/8th of an inch and won two "A" class singles events Saturday and Sunday with 100 straight and a 97 in a 50 mph wind. I went back to shoot practice today and only missed 1 target all night. Good luck with your decision but please take a good hard look at the mid rib before you go with the high rib.

4. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Thanks for your input guys. I'm shooting an older T/C step rib 34/30 .740 unsingle combo right now which I really like. I have even been thinking about having a stock set made for it.(more drop @heel).Given the cost of a nice blank set and fitting session, I'm weighing going to a the new TA mid rib.I'd be upgrading to 32"O/U, .750 bores, and factory fitting.I wanted to hear from you that have shot the High rib for a while now, as a few practice rounds are not enough time to make a good decision.Thanks Guys.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

They came out with the mid-rib for the folks that don't need the higher point of impact. A friend of mine just took delivery of his new T/S and has only shot about 75 targets. I think he is really going to pleased with it. Jeff does a great job on the custom stock. It is also a lot cheaper to get fitted when you buy the gun new. Bill Malcolm

6. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I flew out for a fitting on a Max T/A a little over a year ago. I will never forget the experience. Jeff Mainland is a wizard fitting you. He's such a nice guy and he's very skilled at what he does. He was guessing he's done at least a 1000 stocks. When I received the gun some 12 weeks later, my average went up, significantly -- from D to high B. After last week's State shoot, I'll be shooting in A class.

Just as important, there's very little felt recoil. Sure, I know the physics, and while the mass of the gun does affect felt recoil, it's now more evenly distributed than when I shot my factory Citori XT.

I tried both the Max T/A and the mid rib. Both will shoot 70/30 and up to 100%. I figured I would not be shooting lower than 70/30 and would be very annoyed if I ever decided to shoot higher than 100%, so I went with the Max T/A. I would guess that either would have been fine -- it's Jeff's fitting the stock to my unique dimensions that is responsible for the improved scores.

I've put in over 10,000 rounds through it in about a year. I figure "new gun syndrome" should have worn out by now if that was responsible for my improved scores. Last week, I continued to shoot personal bests for me, so I'm hoping the better scores are here to stay.

Nevertheless, try out both the Max T/A and the mid-rib, if you can. I also STRONGLY suggest trying the Unsingle and Oversingle. My local Kolar dealer shot with me over several weeks, letting me try multiple guns in multiple configurations. I found him to be a great resource.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.