1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.T.Knee replacement ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I had a very sucessful knee replacement 6 yrs ago and spend a-lot of time in the woods hunting---a-lot of time golfing---I walk 2 to 4 miles 5 times a week.
    I sent a friend of mine to the Dr group that did my knee and he told the Dr about my activity---The Dr said----Is he nuts---You can't hunt and go through the woods---He may twist the knee and need another replacement plus he may ruin his hip----What a shock---I am going to touch base with my Dr who never told me I can't hunt but it will send me for a loop if I have to stop hunting.
    Any of you out there hunt with a knee replacement?----Thanks---MYSTIC---

2. hamm3839

hamm3839 TS Member

Both knees seven yeaers ago hunt every day of the season here in Ks. Also hunted Elk in CO. Spin class at gym when not hunting plus strength training.

Check up in May< doctor said "wished all his Replacements would exercise"

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

get a new dr,,,11 surgeries over the last 32 years including two total replacements,shattered the tibia platu,in 1978, if a good implant is used,, they now have ones made for younger more active people,,, if in NY area,,, best around is Dr Scott Marwin at the hospital for joint diesese in NYC,,,

4. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I hunt with mine. Deer, pheasant, grouse, and ducks with all but the duck involving alot of field walking. It's been three years and I honestly treat it as it's a normal knee except I am careful not to twist it. I'll take a fall first if I have to. I also kneel on it just like I do my other knee. I had people tell me I couldn't do any of this but my Dr. said go ahead. He said I could jog on it if I wanted but it would accelerate the wear.

Mark Zauhar

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had a total replacement on both July 21, 2009. I went deer hunting for a week in the White Cloud mountains of Idaho in October. I was able to get around in places where I could not go the previous November. My surgeon was very happy with my rehabilitation, and wanted pictures from the trip to post in his office (he is an avid hunter too). I went antelope/deer/elk hunting in the White Clouds again this fall with some success, climbing around with no problems. Being able to hunt again without pain is THE reason I had my knees replaced. It sounds like your doctor is an anti-hunter!

pocatello_2008_030313.jpg

pocatello_2008_030310.jpg

6. Abby Normal

Abby Normal TS Member

MYSTIC,

I've had both mine done, at different times. The first surgery had a lot of complications and I got a 3 week delay starting my therapy. That worried everyone since they like to get you going ASAP. The second knee surgery was a breeze and I got started doing therapy on schedule. As of right now, the first knee is far better than the no problem surgery knee for some reason. I'm hoping things will even out soon.

I have been hunting this year but it was somewhat limited. I hunt ducks on a large island on the Mississippi River. Anyone familiar with the Miss. River mud can understand that it really can tough to deal with. It's either very slippery or can bog you down like you're in cement and can't move. After falling a few times early in the season, I didn't duck hunt much this year. I didn't want to take a chance on doing bad things to those joints. Last year I took a header out of the door of the blind when my bad knee gave out and I left a nice "mud angel" or buffalo wallow as the guy I was hunting with called it. I'm glad he forgot his cell phone can take pictures. I guess he was laughing too hard.

The only activity my doc told me I could no longer do was play tennis. MAYBE doubles but no more singles. I think most doctors are worried about us wearing out the new knees and having to replace them before they normally would wear out. I was told to expect about 15 years out of my Zimmer knees.

Terry Fischer (ShootinSue's welfare case)

7. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Guy's.
    Have had 4 half knee's (Internal halves) 2 in 99, wore them out by 04 when they did both halves again, just had new total in right this year, outside half bone collapsed and Doc said no more halve's only does totals now

I weigh approx 240 pound and am very active, on my feet 10-12 hour day's in business and at sport.

Doc says with new total can do anything but run on it, should expect up to 40 years from it, I am now 60 so do not expect to need another new right one at least, so far left half is okay but will have total done as soon as it plays up.

Merry Christmas to all.

Release Trigger............Downunder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.