1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T KITTEN WITH 6+ TOES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fssberson, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Anybody know about kittens/cats with mutliple toes [6+ per foot]? Appears to be very sweet. I just don't want to get into expensive vet bills due to genetic deformities. Fred

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Polydactyly - what you are describing, Fred, - is dominant in cats and so is pretty common. It's not a problem.

Neil

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Thanks, Neil. My daughter and I were in our local pet store and she fell in love with this kitten [me too]. I just didn't want to get into additional vet bills when I already have a Springer with Addisons. I guess I have no excuses and will have a kitten Monday. The kitty should be a great friend to our indoor dog = standard poodle. NAME THAT CAT: Now if some of you will help with a female kitten name, light grey, short coat. "Six-toes Poly"; or "Fingers"... Thanks Fred.

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Not a problem.

Ernest Hemingway kept a bunch of polydactyl cats; his estate is still famous for having a colony of them, as referenced in the link.

5. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

As a kid, I had a cat with 23 toes, looked like he had on boxing gloves.

I named him Cassius.

Never had any problems wit the extra digits.

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

Our "Tiger" has eight toes on his right front paw, seven on the left and one extra on each of his rear paws. A typical cat has 18, Tiger has 25, the world record is 28 by a cat named "Mooch".

When tiger was a kitten he had trouble walking, his feet were just too big. Now he can turn a door handle and open a door.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Polydactyly cats give me hope that liberals may someday develop opposable thumbs.

sissy

8. BMC

BMC Member

I once had a cat that gave birth to two babies, each with two heads. Not full heads, more two head blended into one, each with its own face. Wierd little critters. And no they didn't survive.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Key est and Cedar Key in Florida are overrun with cats with extra toes. The locals say it is because of inbreeding. Maybe that is the problem with Obamas' ears sticking straight out.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Where si Tron when we need him? he can answer your question

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I don't know Bruce--I was wondering the same.

It might be cause he thinks that mangy feline of his is 'purfect', therefore rendering him unqualified to speak of deformities???

Guy Babin

12. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

it might cost extra to have it declawed

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

shadow - I am still laughing on that one. Very good

14. laura!

laura! Member

I've heard it's due to inbreeding, but they all seem to do just fine.

Tachyon, is Tiger chewing his tail? He must be half dog!

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron, time to stop circling and take the bait, what about this six toed cat????

16. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I vote for 'Fingers'. If she gets too expensive, we'll take her. We only have 25 indoors and two outdoors with four kittens. Moving to a farm and inheriting four more adults and five more kittens. The cat food and litter bills are more than our food bills plus T-paper...

yep, we're crazy but love each and every one!

Please send pictures,

milt

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I heard that this genetic drift in cats is common in the Boston area. True. In Northern California along the coast, many cats are born with two left front and rear paws. I think that's false, a myth, but not sure...

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

I showed Tiger the post by Laura and he responded as follows.

Laura, How dare you compare me to a dog. OK, I admit I chase my tail (and sometimes catch it) and I play a great game of fetch and I like to chew on those rawhide dog bones and I have been known to chase a rabbit or two... but I am a cat. A cat A cat... ok so maybe I am part dog...

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"Dogs have owners, cats have staff"...cats are so cool, likely 'cause they are not fully domesticated. BTW, wouldn't it be great to have a pet Cheetah like the very rich did years and years ago? Best qualities in dog and cat in a Cheetah...LOL...

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Polydactyly (many digits=fingers,toes) must be normal. Any cat with more than one claw per foot would be polydactyl by definition, at least by my definition.

If one cat happens to have six claws, wouldn't you expect that somewhere there is a poor cat with only 4 claws? Is there a breed of cats with no claws and no urinary bladder? I could be interested.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.