1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Kenmore dryer repair

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

This was relatively easy. I opened the bottom panel and noticed filings below the one roller. A new roller and axle at the Sears parts store for $30 and we're back in business.

Problem is, it goes ka-thunk...ka-thunk...ka-thunk, not real bad, but it is noticeable. Dryer is 13 years old. It's way better than it used to be, but I'm concerned the fix didn't go deep enough because of my shallow experience and knowledge. I couldn't see any other problems after cleaning the area below the drum. Ran it with the front panel off and couldn't see anything. Belt drive seemed tight enough. Maybe the drum is warped.

Ideas?

Joe

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Joe,

When you had it apart, were there two rollers?

If one is bad, you usually need to replace both.

That would be my guess.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I would guess another bad roller and possibly the belt. Jake

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Not sure this will help you but it has helped me many times for parts sales, identifying parts and general troubleshooting..........www.repairclinic.com

Bryan

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Did you take your tools out of the drum? Just kidding. You should replace all of the rollers, since if one was real bad, the others can't be that far behind. Also, make sure there are no spots on the drum that look out of round, or have material built up.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

repairclinic.com is a great site. I can get the part numbers I need, order backup stuff, (my Whirlpool washer eats a coupler occasionally) and learn how the damn things work.

Go there.

HM

7. joe kuhn

Couldn't get the other roller on the front to come loose. Nothing on the inside to grab on to. Will watch it and keep that in mind. The rollers in the back are another matter. Will probably have to take the back off the thing to get at those.

Thanks guys.

Joe

8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Most dryer repairs are from the front. When you take the front off you pull out the drum... nothing left but a shell. Most klunks are from the rollers or shims the drum runs or rubs on.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Replace both rollers on the back wall.

Get a repair manual. Dryers are really simple machines.

If is a Kenmore, the top probably just pops off with a screwdriver.

10. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Remove the lint filter, and then remove the two screws (phillips head)located in the front of the filter opening. Then pull the top forward, towards your waist as you face it, and lift. It will pivot up and you can lean it back against the wall. You will be then able to remove the front panel. Screws on the inside lip close to the top. Unclip door switch wiring harness, and set aside front panel. Unplug unit and now look in under the drum. Release tension of belt tensioner, (spring Loaded), and lift the drum out. Now the rear rollers are visible, and accessible. Replace both as a set. Usually bought in a kit form.
    Also gives you a chance to clean up the inside on unit. Use a thin coating of high temp grease on the roller shafts. You'll see everything is very straight forward and easy to do.

11. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

This unit is made by Whirlpool. All parts are the same as W/pool. Sometimes W/pool brand parts are cheaper. Check both for the best price.

12. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Also look at searsparts.com. YOu will need the model # and you should be able to pull up a diagram and parts list.

13. joe kuhn

The collective experience and knowledge on this site is phenominal. Thanks everybody.

14. joe kuhn

Maytag,

It's making way too much noise again. This time I think it's a roller in the back. Following your directions... the door is in the way of those two screws in front of the filter opening. Taking the door apart, but not much joy there either.

15. joe kuhn

Figured out to take the screws out of the filter unit from the inside. Filter unit is completely out now.

Next is sliding the top towards me. Jeesh it's tight...

16. joe kuhn

Took out the two screws that angle in below the control panel. Top is still tight...

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

Don't forget that appliance parts place (they have offsite parking) next to the METRA in Downers Grove... good advice from those folks... BTW, while to had the fryer off did you have to do a dryer kit?!

Jay

18. joe kuhn

Yeah, that place is great. Bought a fan motor for furnace there for 200 bucks. Probably saved that much at least. Neighbor is furnace guy...('fryer off...dryer kit'...what are you talking about Jay? Go have some coffee and call me back...)

Back to dryer...control panel is flipped up and back towards wall...now how to get that top off so I can get at the drum and rollers...

19. joe kuhn

Hah, hah. Top is off, I'm going in...

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When I did my last Kenmore HD (harvest gold!) I did a belt tensioner, belt and gasket that wrapped the front edge of the dryer... I didn't recall doing rollers, but could have... that was what I referring to!

Good luck... hey how's bowling with Johnnie?!

regards,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.