1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Kel-Tec .223 caliber SU-16 Carbine

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Just wondered if anyone here has purchased or used a Kel-Tec .223 caliber SU-16 carbine? If so, what do you think of it? Thanks.

Easystreet

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

To the top.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Where's "Brian in Oregon" when you need him? He has one. I'll see if I can get him to come on here and help you. He'll have plenty of info.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    Actually, I have the Kel-Tec PLR-16 .223 handgun. This is nothing more than the handgun version of the SU-16 carbine.<br>
    <br>
    The SU-16 family are well made, robust and reliable. And I say that even though I'm not particularly a fan of plastic receivers.<br>
    <br>
    The action is a cross between an AK and AR15. It's pretty close to the AR18, which was the stamped version of the AR15 intended for manufacture in countries that lacked the facilities for the aluminum forgings of the AR15. This system is actually superior to the AR15, because it uses an AK style gas tappet rod instead of channelling gas back into the bolt. This pic shows the bolt head/carrier and tappet rod that's the heart of the action.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    With their light weight and ability to be folded, these carbines are useful as survival and packpacking guns. I don't know how well they will perform in sustained sub-zero weather. (Visions of plastic AR mags cracking come to mind.) So far mine has worked well without problems.<br>
    <br>
    Accuracy. Well, comparing the handgun to the carbine is like coomparing apples to oranges. However, I can, even with the crude rear sight, keep the rounds into the heart/lungs on a coyote target at 100 yards, offhand. And that's what I bought this for - handgunning coyotes. I wanted a handgun that had reasonable power and a flat trajectory, used factory ammo, and had multiple shot capability. This fit the bill.<br>
    <br>
    As far as the carbine goes, if I was to purchase one, I'd get the SU-16CA. This is more compact than the A model, but has a conventional stock that holds two extra mags. And, if you want the folding stock of the C model, you can purchase that seperately. (By "folding stock", I'm talking about a compact stock that allows the gun to be fired when folded. The "non-folding" stocks actually do fold, but only for transportation. Being able to fire this with the stock folded is not what floats my boat - it's that this particular stock is more compact for carrying.) Here's the folding stock accessory kit and the SU-16CA carbine:<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    <br>[​IMG]<br>
    <br>

Drawbacks.<br>
    <br>
    Well, the plastic receiver is a two-edged sword. You're not going to be able to much in the way of alteration or repair. I particularly do not like the Picatinny rail (similar to a Weaver scope base) being made from plastic. One critical problem is that plastic, even hard fiberglass filament reinforced plastic like this, is "soft" for clamping purposes with a scope mount. I tried mounting an EOTech holosight on mine. This particular sight has only one clamping surface (alas), and it could not get a tight enough grip without starting to indent the plastic, and even then it left no confidence that it was tight. If I was gunna use optics, I'd get a Picatinny riser base from Bushmaster and install it over the plastic base. This would give the needed metal clamping surface for optics without damaging the plastic.<br>
    <br>
    The rear sights leave a lot to be desired. I've been intending on replacing mine with am adjustable open (notch) or large ghost ring, but I haven't taken the time to find a set to fit yet. The rear sights are simple, but adjusting them for windage is not precise. The front sight post appears to be identical to a stock M16A2 "flat blade" post.<br>
    <br>
    The handguards on the carbine, which fold down to become bipods, don't float my boat. I'd rather have a setup that would free float the barrel. At least they keep your hands from being burned. (There is an accessory handguard for the handgun, and I have one. For a tactical entry pistol, it makes sense and is useful. But it's fugly and puts tension on the barrel. I don't shoot enough rounds through it for hunting to get the barrel that hot, so I leave it off. Apparently this handguard also fits most of the carbines, though the sling can't be used.)<br>
    <br>
    Whiile this isn't an issue with the Title I carbines (16" and 18.5"), it is for the Title II (NFA) carbines with the 12" and 9" barrels, and the handgun with the 9" barrel. Short barrels like that with the .223 are freakin' LOUD. Before I can do any more hunting with 9" handgun, I absolutely need a decent set of electronic earmuffs. The fireball out the end of the barrel is about the size of a watermelon, and you can feel the concussion hitting your chest. The regular carbine barrels are going to be like their AR15 counterparts.<br>
    <br>
    Recoil is up a wee bit with the SU16 carbines over the AR15, because of the light weight. But it's still pleasantly mild. It's just that with optics with any magnification you'll be moved off target and won't see your impact with only one eye open, unlike heavier .223 rifles. (The handgun recoils like a large frame .357 revolver.)<br>
    <br>
    If I had to do it again, would I buy another PLR-16 pistol? Yes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an SU-16 either, if I had a need for it. (I have the pistol and a plethora of AR15's, including an ancient XM177E2 clone.)

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

I have the A with the stock that holds two mags. I got it to shoot sqeackies with. Next outing should be in Feb. 08. Fun. I second Brians comments.

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Now this looks neat.....esp. for us leftys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.