1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Karpel Tunnel who has had the surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by striper, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Some how I have this crap in my right wrist and of course I am right handed. I went to PT and did all the exercies for about 2 months wore the brace for at least that long and did nothing. The problem is no matter what you do it aggravates the condition. This friday I am going to have the nerves tested by a hand surgeon. My question is have any of you gents had the surgery and how did it go. My MD said do it because conservative methods of treatment are not working. Opinions greatly appreciated and advise

2. mcginty22

mcginty22 TS Member

had surgery done on both hands at age 62 ( 3 months apart )after experiencing
    numbness in both hands. tried physical therapy and excercises to no avail. very happy with results and have not experienced any numbness in either hand
    10 years later. i would suggest getting opions on choice of surgeon. i had a very good one. good luck Mcginty

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I had both hands done at once 2 years ago. Do not wait , get it done.I was in the worst 1 percent and came through in the top 1 percent. They will get worse until it is unbearable. Jeff

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go ahead and get it done. About 8 years ago, I had both hands done about 10 days apart. I waited as long as I could stand it, and suffered nerve damage to left hand. I can barely write now, but can still shoot.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I had it done a few years back. One of the best things I have ever done. Between the pains a night, dropping everything I picked up, hands asleep all the time, I was miserable.

SW

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

Had my left one done and was glad I did, probably 15 years ago, no problems. Don't wait until the damage is permanent. good luck.

7. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Carpal tunnel. If you are having numbness and PT did not work, find a great, experienced surgeon. It common and usually very sucessful.

Mike

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Had both hands done about 8 months apart. That was 1978, best thing I ever let the Army Docs do. Oh what a relief! Jake

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

10. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

Had both hands done the same time in early 1978. No problems since and doctors say my grip is much stronger. Of course my fiancee (now my wife of 30+ years) had to help me get dressed once in a while. We still snicker when we tell that story. My advice, get it done as soon as you can.

Joel, Yuma AZ

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

This is a no-brainer. See what Ajax said. The procedure is arthroscopic which means using a small scope to get inside and do the job. Surgery at 8 am, back home at noon, nice nap to recover from anesthesia. Absolutely no pain the next day. Do it, but find someone who does it a LOT.

Bruce

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

striper,

Where are you located? My brother specializes in this type of surgery. He is in Omaha, NE.

13. mshep

mshep TS Member

I suffered with this for 6+ years. I had the surgery done on both hands last november/december (6 weeks apart). Best thing I ever did. No more pain or numbness. My surgeon did the incision through the top of the hand. No pain at all after the surgery and I chose to stay awake during the surgery rather than deal with anesthesia. She did it in 8 minutes (I was watching the clock). Took longer to fill out the paperwork and sit in the waiting room then to do the surgery. The worst part is doing things one handed for 7-10 days while the stitches are in.

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have a case in both hands. It's annoying. What is the normal recovery time? My Doc told me a week but I'd like some real world experience.

15. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I had complete closure of the tunnel in my right hand as actually tested by electrical conductance tests. Waited way too long to get the arthroscopic surgery. Mine was done by Dr. Michael Brown in Houston, Texas in 1998. The Brown clinic previously mentioned may be a derivative. Complete relief from the burning, freezing, numbness, awakening three to four times every night in severe pain, etc. Ten days after surgery I went to a doubles marathon at Sunnyvale, California with the sling still on and waited till the good-natured ribbing started, then whipped off the sling and kicked butt in the 500 targets. Still one of my most treasured trophies.

As several have said, if it's been correctly diagnosed, don't wait. I waited too long and have permanent nerve damage that has my right hand seeking contact with something all the time, therefore is closed till I order it to get open.

Luckily, my trigger finger hangs on my left hand.

Mike Mann

16. nipper

nipper TS Member

my realtor just had it done friday and is back at work today with a simple wrist brace and pain free,she stated if anyone needs it dont dont delay

bill

17. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Look for a neuro surgeon instead of an orthopedic surgeon. Just my opinion.

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I had my right had done a couple of years ago. The surgeon was actually one of my advanced math students way back when I was teaching mathematics.

Great young man - told him if he screwed up my trigger finger, I'd still find a way to shoot him. We laughed.

He did cut a small blood vessel going to my trigger finger and now when I'm hunting deer or pheasants on a cold day it get very cold, so I wear a gold glove, when I normally don't wear a glove.

The carpal-tunnel symptom disappeared almost immediately. I did lose some strength holding items between my thumb and little finger, but that eventually came back.

I need to have my left hand done, if I expect to pound any nails. That seems to be the biggest cause of numbness now.

Whiz

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Have the nerves tested by a Neurologist and see where the impingement is. I was told by a surgeon that I just had a little carpal tunnel syndrome. Turned out to be a little carpal tunnel, but a WHOLE LOT of C-Spine impingement. Found a decent Neurosurgeon and he had a much better handle on the problems. After the first C-Spine surgery, my right hand is back to normal. Still have a little numbness in the left. That's where the worst Carpal Tunnel issue is supposed to be. I'll have that done while I am waiting to see about the second part of the C-Spine surgery. I was a little suspicious when nothing seemed to help. I'm glad I got a second opinion from someone who thinks "nerve" and not "bone". By all means, get it diagnosed properly and dealt with before there is permanent damage.

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Check the above link - it shows you what Carpal Tunnel is and how it is corrected in most cases.

Incidentally, I was charge $841 to have the laptop nerve "test" done, and I stopped them midway and told them that was it! I said that was just foolish, because I knew I had carpal tunnel because that's what I went to the surgeon in the first place.

The problem is hard use of our hands (carpentry, busting bolts, computer typing) causes the transverse Carpal Ligament to swell and over time that puts excessive pressure on the bundle of nerves passing under it and on top of the carpal tunnel bone.

It's a 45 minute surgery. My next door neighbor is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who says it should do the surgery for nothing as it is so simple to do... it cost me around $2,000 to have the right hand done, but it fixed it.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

karpel tunnel