1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T just joined the army

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolar kda, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar kda

kolar kda TS Member

I know that this is off topic and late but I wanted to thank all of the veterans that fought to keep this great nation the way it is, and that I am now proud to say I am among the many men and women that serve in this nations great armed forces, and maybe someday will be fighting to continue to keep this nation free, once again I thank all of you vets, and want to remind everyone to thank a vet as often as possible it doesn’t matter if it veterans day or not, they deserve it. And for anyone that has gone through army BCT, if you have any advise I will gladly take it as I don’t ship until 25Jun09. Thanks again!

PVT Atherton
    (Kyle Atherton)

2. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Don't be in the front or the back of a line, and don't ever volunteer for any thing. Times are changing and the Army try's diffrent tactics at boot camps to see what the out come is. So just remember the drill sgt's are trying to break people down and weed out the missfits.So don't take them personally look as it is a game and play it. Good luck and GOD bless
    RET. USARMY MP CORP

3. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Kyle,my son started basic at Ft. Benning, Ga. in August and he graduates close to Thanksgiving.He then goes on to airbourn and ranger school. He loves it so far. He told me that by being in good physical and being mentally tough made basic easy for him. He has always worked out, run and liked to be very physical in sports and really demanded alot out of himself. Curtis will be home in December and I am sure he would talk to you. Email me your address and I will have him get with you but it wouldn't be until mid December. Good luck with your future and I am also one that highly respects Veterans for all they have given and done. Stay in touch, Paul Baker

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Kyle....Go Airborne....become part of the Airborne Brotherhood!!

Curt

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I went through basic at Benning and went back to train troops after a lot of training at other places. If they want to make you a cook or mechanic, volunteer for ANYTHING else, resist somehow, it will be more fun and a lot less drudgery. Sign up for Airborne and Ranger School too.

Although they say a 13 yr old girl who can run a little can get through basic nowadays, start running a lot and doing pushups (even those are limited now) to get in better shape and basic will be a breeze! Have fun and look at it as a great experience!

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

First- congratualtions

Second- be in good shape when you get there-- very good shape

Third-- just keep your head down and powder dry

Fourth- go airborne--- maybe ranger or special forces but go airborne-

Fifth-- take time to smell the roses when you get to your unit

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Kyle what MOS are you signed up for? First duty station? Are you RA? If you think there is the possibility of making it a career by all means go for jump school if you think you can handle it, it's a whole different story when your standing in the door. Yep and if your not doing it already start running now(at least you dont have to run in boots like we did, I wonder if they still run with poles down at Benning?)No more spit polished boots either.

Knowing what I know now if my son was going in I'd tell him go Air Assault with the 101st, Ft Campbell is better that Ft Bragg and has excellent fishing and hunting for when you do get a day off. In my opinion stay away from Ft Hood,Ft Sill,Ft Benning,Ft Bragg and Ft Riley.

8. Surferboy

Surferboy Member

Congratulations Kyle! Excellent advice you're getting here. You're getting more accurate info in just a few hrs. than most of us got in our first year of service. Keep the questions coming on specific topics and you will benefit greatly from the answers you get. Areas like MOS, bonus$$$, buddy system, etc are very important. You really need to know the ins and outs of dealing with MEPS. I went with my son ea time he dealt with MEPS and the recruiters (or he called me from there) and they couldn't ruin his military experience even though they tried every visit. I perpared him for 10 years for the honor of serving our great nation. He's a 19Delta Scout and loving it (usually). Just don't get caught drinking on duty.

Given the Life Cycle program they have now, you will need to go for a crack unit right out of training. Go Airborne, if you can. The 101st will give you a measure of pride and belonging you will cherish for a lifetime. Good luck! Steve

9. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Both my sons said basic was easy for them when they went in a while back. Its all on how you look at it, take nothing personally also. Its just a job and this is just getting you ready and testing a lot of your limits overall.
    I though basic was a piece of cake for me even in the early 70s.

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

5spd where did you go thru BCT at? I went thru Leonard Wood(77) and I'd call it alot of things but no piece of cake. It did get me ready for what was to come though. I still remember my 2 DS's SFC Darryl D Davis and SSG Keith Javory, Javory had more ribbons than I could count, ran like a deer even though he smoked and could do more push ups than anybody I ever met. I can remember boot prints on my T shirts from when he'd push down on my back when doing push ups and on the front side when he walked on my chest during sit ups. Screamed at, kicked, punched but I dont think you see that now. I even heard they have stress cards for time outs, whatever that is. Myself and one other guy were the only 2 RA's in the platoon and he made it a point to bust us any chance he got.

11. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Just do what they tell you as fast as you can.

Get in shape before you go. Find out what their physical fitness test consists of and be able to ace it.

People always told me not to volunteer for anything. I tried not to but one day at the machine gun range they wanted three volunteers and I was one. We got to shoot off thousands of extra rounds of M-60 ammo, was very fun. But then we had to clean like 15 M-60s that we had all trained on.

12. ismah

ismah Member

Kyle, Keep a journal, take pictures of your friends, savor the moments. In a few years you will be glad you did. Your military experiences stay with you a lifetime.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You may already be a man, you will be even more of one when you return. It is an experience you will never forget. All Good. I only made one mistake, I should have made a career out of it.

14. willing

willing Member

kyle
    If you have time off don't stay in the barracks, go hide somewhere. Anytime they have a s**t detail they go to the barracks to find someone. DON'T ever volunteer.

Bill

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice. Gene has it wrapped up. Be in good shape, and be able to run miles when you get there.

Learn to talk loud and forcefully. Learn to listen.

Don't volunteer! LOL

I hope you thought about your MOS (military occupational specialty) and how it will help you in the civilian world. If you make military service a career, you will retire young enough to re enter the civilian job market.

Remedial Firearms Instructor and Range NCOIC did not do me a lot of good when I got out almost 40 yrs ago.

16. Orange Irish

Orange Irish TS Member

Kyle, Congratulations, I went through basic in '84, most advise here is dated, but then things probably haven't changed much. When I was in they had a program called T.D.P.(trainee discharge program). I don't know if this still exists or not but it gives you the option to quit if it's too much for you. DO NOT QUIT!! It's a trick, and all who went for it spent 8 weeks mowing grass, and doing menial jobs.When I graduated, and came home for leave they were mowing the grass outside of the barracks. Some of those guys are probably still trying to get home. Quitters are despised. Know that nothing you do for the first several weeks will be good enough. For the D.I. it is a job and although they put on a good act, they are never as angry as they seem. Remember that any scam that you can think of to get out of something, someone has already tried. Also Drill Instructors were trainees once too, they know all the tricks. Do not draw attention to yourself, good or bad. Good gets you a Squad Leader job, and responsibility for several other trainees, bad gets you in a world of hurt. While your in training you might question this decision many times. The rewards of service are well worth it. You will look back on your time in service with many fine memories. Good Luck, and thank you!

Eddie

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Just do what they tell you as fast as you can."</i><br>
    <br>
    Best advice on this thread.<br>
    <br>
    And if you make squad leader and get replaced, don't let it bother you. It's not that you weren't capable, it's that they found someone better. That's just the way it works.<br>
    <br>
    And life is going to get really hard very soon for you. The military will basically tear you down so they can build you up. You will find that you are capable of doing things you never thought possible. The biggest thing the military will give you is CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF. You can't do some or most of the physical hardship they will throw at you simply because you have doubts. They will erase your doubts, by having you prove to yourself with physical hardship that you can indeed do it. Everything they do in boot has a purpose. It is not designed to be sadistic. It is designed to train and instill confidence. If you can keep this in mind, that it ain't personal, you WILL make it.

18. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thanks for your service -- SIR -- rick

19. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kyle. It's good to know that there are still young folks willing to serve.

20. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

And after way too many years I can still hear it ringing in my ears

I wish that all the Ladies were pies on a shelf,

and I was a Baker, I'd eat them all myself..

Then there's

C130 rollin down the strip,

Airborne Daddy gonna take a little trip.

Stand Up, Hook up, Stand in the Door....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.