1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, Jury summons, how to answer questions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I know it's politically incorrect, it's almost like asking how to talk out of a speeding ticket. But I need to know how to answer questions properly to avoid getting picked to serve in a trial? I have to plan a trip soon after the summons week, couldn't afford to serve in a real trial. Anyone had experiences? Thank you.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bring up the subject of jury nullification.

3. 3357

3357 Member

If you are selected, one of the initial questions usually asked is if you are aware of any reason why you should not serve on the jury.

Simply explain that you are a supporter of law enforcement and that if the defendant has come so far as to get to the trial stage of a prosecution he/she must be guilty.

4. glenns

glenns Member

Show them your NRA member card.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I recently just had jury duty. The attorney asked me if I was ever a victim of a crime? Told him I was robbed at work at the bank 4 times since 1972. I was dismissed. It doesn't take much to get disqualified. I made $11.00 while I was there. I paid $20.00 for parking, plus my employer was upset that I was gone.
    Steve Balistreri

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Just tell them to bring the guilty bastard in so you can get a look at him.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

How about doing your DUTY????

I guess we want a country of laws but we don't want to support it.

Show them how you spell, that ought to get you off.

Don

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You can often ask for a delay in the time you are to show up. See if you can't put it off until after your trip. Personally, I think it's a great adventure and honor to be considered and get a look at the court system as it really is, far, far from the pop culture version on all those TV shows someone must watch.

It wasn't until the third or fourth voir dire I realized I'd misled the attorneys on the earlier ones, but none of them wanted me anyway. I was disappointed. I looked up my potential cases later and they all eventually "copped a plea" as we experts in jury duty refer to it.

How to answer the questions? Truthfully. After all, it's the failure to do that that put most of the defendants there in the first place.

Neil

9. KRE

KRE TS Member

Maybe I'm past my time but, if only those that want to be on a Jury are, that says a lot about the rest. Most Jury's need a little more common sense that they have had in the past.

Remember how OJ got off? That works both ways, now do your duty, lots of our very best men died for our way of life, and Jury duty is one way to pay them back.

Duty, Honor, an Country, is not just for the Military, you want the American Life, then stand up an be counted.

This country can be turned around as long as true,... Americans,... are pulling on the same end of the rope.

Kenneth

10. new loader

new loader Member

Chances are you won't be picked from the pool anyway. It is a great adventure to go through the selection process and see how it all works. It is a real eye-opener and nothing like you see on TV. Especially the instructions they give potential jurors to listen only to evidence presented and ignore any previous experience. Just answer the questions they ask and you won't be picked. If all else fails, tell them you frequent a cop hangout and overheard the police discussing the case.

11. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I just finished 3 mo of jury duty, they passed a note pad to all jurriors,and asked for a list of days you could not be there, i put down 2 weeks vacation and fri of every week, i never got called!!!

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I served on a Jury for 10 weeks, it was a murder trial where a bunch of Mexican Nationals were smuggling people into the United States ... The Coyotes were the ones who were murdered by the ones who picked up the Illegals and in turn got paid for bringing them back to the Phoenix area ... The pick up guys fingered one of their own to take the fall for the murders and take the heat off of themself ... I didn't care for the way the Justice System defended itself during the trial because the investigation was incomplete at best and they insisted there was enough evidence to convict, which there was but only pointed to the one guy and not the group of them ... The younger people on the Jury could not believe that anyone could do such a thing to another human being so you can guess which way the vote went when all was said and done but the guy is doing 75 years to life for his part in the crime after another Jury found him guilty of the actual murder charges that we were a hung jury on ...

Answer the questions honestly and let them know you have plans that cannot be changed and they will probably accomidate you if they can ... I told them about my back ground with the Fire Dept and in the Police Academy and those things did not keep me from being selected to serve ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've been on duty for 3 trials. Tried to get out of all three of em. Told the judge I was self employed (which I am) and couldn't afford to miss work. Didn't help. Another time I was called to serve and it was in October our rush season. I asked the judge if I could serve after the first of the year, our slow time, No dice.

Like I said I've been on 3 of em. My name was drawn out of the hat to be available for a 3 month term another time. When I filled out the questionaire it had a question about physical defects that could keep me from serving. I wrote down some hearing loss - I stated I could hear but have a hard time understanding what people with high pitch voices say, like women.

Didn't get called for that one, maybe they didn't need me.

14. NintyT

NintyT Member

Next time you read about someone being released after a "hung jury", like the last IL govenor, think about this. Most good, honest, working people do whatever they can to get out of serving on a jury. Non working, nothing to do, half their family is in prison types will say anything to get on the jury just to screw the system. Be a patriot and serve when called.

15. oletymer

oletymer Member

Way to go true citizens. When you see the stupid verdicts and come on here whining about the law it's partly your fault for being to lazy to due your duty.

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I have served on jury duty. If we expect to be a nation of laws and also expect to be protected by those laws then we should serve on a jury when called to do so. Instead of trying to get out of service and put the burden of duty elsewhere, why not do your part to support our American Way? I guarantee that it will be an eye-opening learning experience.

By the way, good point about being honest Neil.

17. wanderer

wanderer Member

You can answer truthfully, and still be released. When you are asked what news stations you watch, answer Fox. When asked if you listen to Rush, answer yes. The defense bar is extremely liberal and will then excuse you. G.E.G.

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've been called at least five times, never been questioned, only once got to the panel room where juries are picked and was excused from that one as the parents of the victim were close friends of mine.

I'd like to go through the whole thing just once rather than go down to the courthouse, sit for three or four days reading, playing solitaire, and waiting, and then get excused for no reason.

I don't wear political shirts, or ones that say, "Hang 'em all, let God sort 'em out" or do anything to call attention to myself.

My wife, on the other hand, has only been called once and was excused then as her number was not drawn for the pool.

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've served on a jury panel several times and got picked several times.

It was a good learning experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Try it, you may like it.

Hauxfan!

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have never been called once. I don't know why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.