1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Job Almost

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by The Rock, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I have been looking for work now since mid October. The Ohio Jobs and Family Services (unemployment) sent me to the Dole packing plant in town. Now this is a job mostly packing and loading trucks for area stores. No big thing and min wage.

I must apply and go for interview or my unemployment compensation would be in jeopardy. I get there about 20 min early for the interview and no one is there yet. I sit in the truck and wait. Up pulls a 15 passenger van loaded with employees.

I talk in the office with the manager a while and he takes me out to work floor( cooler 36 degs. I say Hi to a couple of workers and get Spanish from all of them.

The guy shows me the job and asks me if I am able to do the work. I said of course but what would happen if immigration was to drop by unexpectedly?

He said he would call me if he could use me that was five days ago. Why was that?

Rock

Jim

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Call immigration. Bulge

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Probably waiting to see if there is a raid....

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Drop a dime to the immigration people!

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

By all means report them

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Time to turn em all in there are citizens who need thos jobs!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your veiled threat cost you the job. I would rat them out in a heartbeat. I would also call DILHR and let them know what took place.

HM

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

let us know what happens

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jim,
    How did your comment convey anything positive about your ability to do the job?

You came off as a possible trouble maker. You got what you wanted - you remain on unemployment.

We have a few Mexicans working at our plant in Michigan. They are legal and they work hard. Why did you assume the ones you met were illegal aliens?

If you did not have Unemployment to fall back on, maybe you would not have made the comment about the INS. Jobs are very hard to get. But I understand how taking a job that pays little more than Unemployment is tough to accept. Those Mexicans are willing to work for wages most Americans will not consider. As a trap shooter, I guess you have not worked at close to minimum wage for many years.

Many of us will be facing similar fates as we continue to spiral downward. I know my next job will pay much less than I earn now - and I will be thankful to have it. I have friends who have been out of work for over a year. They are good people that do not deserve what has happened to them. I hope you find something soon - but do not blame the Mexicans for taking minimum wage jobs.

Blame the government for establishing a minimum wage that forces an unacceptable standard of living for most Americans. We should not have a minimum wage that makes Unemployment benefits look like a good option.

Don Verna

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So what do you have to offer the employer that is better than the Mexicans can provide? Seems like you opened the can of threats but then wonder why you didn't get a call back.

The way to get a job is convince the employer that you are an asset not a liability. Or you can continue to offer nothing and hope the world will turn in your favor. Could be a long wait.....

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don, just wait a minute here. My wife is a Food safety person at the local packing plant. Which happens to be chock full of Mexicans, many of whom are illegal.

Of the plant workers, I would guess about 40 per cent of them make more than my wife.

Don't come around with that lower wage stuff. One of the reasons the stupid employers hire them is because of a false (truly)belief that they are such hard workers. They make a lot of scrap, screw off more than most, and miss a lot of work, especially on Monday or after a holiday.

They are here for the money. If it's not enough they go somewhere else.
    Chuck boners get around 15 an hour, and that's a lot more than minimum wage.

They come to work with Tommy Hilfiger jeans on, could you afford that?

I say get rid of them all, whatever happened to E-Verify? or the Green Card with the Holo image on that couldn't be faked?

When I had employees I had to jump through hoops to verify a man that was born and raised 30 miles from here was a citizen. I guess they stopped that too.

You have more people killed last year in the border town violence than the whole Iraq war.

Shove them out and slam the door.

HM

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

HM, i'm with you. I got out of the workforce 2 years ago and don't have to be worried about being replaced by some foreigner that is here illegally but, it bothers me seeing them here illegally. When is America going to be for Americans again. Will it ever? Bulge.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Halfmile,

We do I-9's on everyone - even those who don't look Mexican.

Why do 40% of "Them" make more than your wife? I don't know; but I know we pay based on job duties and performance. Maybe your wife is underpaid - maybe she is not. Are you suggesting she would earn more if she was Mexican. Maybe a tan would help - who knows? You are not making much sense.

The Rock mentioned the job paid minimum wage - I did not. He comes off sounding like the job is below him but not below those "illegal" Mexicans but he has no way to ascertain they are illegal. He makes a dumb comment during the interview and wonders why the company does not call him back.

Hell, I wouldn't work for minimum wage either (unless I had to), so I understand his frustration. But the Mexicans have little do to with our predicament. I suppose you would be happier if instead of Mexicans making minimum wage it was real Americans. But here is a news flash for you - real Americans, like Jim and me, will not work for minimum wage unless we are starving. We are spoiled and like our expensive toys.

We don't have a lot of Mexicans in MI but don't you think there will be good and bad in every nationality. Shipping them all out is not a well thought out solution.

Now, I agree 100% that if they are here illegally they MUST go. But that is because they are here illegally - not because they are unworthy human beings.

Don Verna

14. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Rock. I am from Ohio and have only received unemployment benefits once in 30 years, 26 weeks worth in 2006. I went to one seminar and met with my case worker one time in 26 weeks. You should only apply for jobs that are comparable in compensation to your previous job. OJFS never asked me for any proof that I was looking for work. OJFS is well aware of the lack of work in Ohio, do not let them push you around.

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"We should not have a minimum wage that makes Unemployment benefits look like a good option."

Maybe:

We should not have Unemployment benefits that makes minimum wage look like a bad option.

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

AND, welfare payments should not EXCEED minimum wage.....

The value of the full package of welfare benefits for a typical recipient in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia exceeds the poverty level. Because welfare benefits are tax-free, their dollar value is often greater than the amount of take-home income a worker would have left after paying taxes on an equivalent pretax income.

In 40 states welfare pays more than an $8.00 an hour job. In 17 states the welfare package is more generous than a $10.00 an hour job.
    In Hawaii, Alaska, Massachusetts, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, New York, and Rhode Island welfare pays more than a $12.00 an hour job--or two and a half times the minimum wage.
    In nine states welfare pays more than the average first-year salary for a teacher. In 29 states it pays more than the average starting salary for a secretary. And in the six most generous states it pays more than the entry-level salary for a computer programmer.
    Welfare benefits are especially generous in large cities. Welfare provides the equivalent of an hourly pretax wage of $14.75 in New York City, $12.45 in Philadelphia, $11.35 in Baltimore, and $10.90 in Detroit. For the hard-core welfare recipient, the value of the full range of welfare benefits substantially exceeds the amount the recipient could earn in an entry-level job. As a result, recipients are likely to choose welfare over work, thus increasing long-term dependence.

17. bocephus

bocephus Member

The illegals don't come here solely for the work, that is secondary. They come here for all the free social programs the liberals make available to them from free healthcare for the entire family including grandpa and grandma, welfare, free education for all the kids, free rent in many places, and food stamps.

That job is just for extra pocket change......

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I was listening to Boortz and he mentioned there was a provision hidden in the new stimulus spending bill that employers receiving stimulus money DIDNOT have to verify whether employees were legal. The article he was mentioning said that the stimulus bill will employe 300K illegals.

Thanks Democraps.

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

So, once again, we have Halfmile suggesting that you should "rat them out"...and yet, you don't hear anything from him about HIM dropping a dime on HIS wife's employer, who he suspects contains 40% illegals - do you?

What's that, you say? If you popped them...they'd just be back in business with more of them, next month? Is that the excuse for inaction?

Actions speak louder than words. It's the time-honored idea of "Principles are a great thing - until they cost ME something." We need wifey to keep getting that check, so we can shoot trap. So I guess everybody's in this boat together, eh?

And this is exactly why the problem persists. What's the snappy response to this? Something along the lines of, "Go crawl back under your rock?"

Yeah, that's what I thought.

20. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

You are on unemployment, looking for a min wage job and make a smart ass comment to your prospective employer? With national unemployment at 8.1%, adios, gringo.

You did not want to work with the "wet backs" any way, right? So you got what you want, and so did the company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.