1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Jimi Hendrix

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FalconSprint, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

What Say You? Great, Good, Bad, or Ugly Bad. "All Along the Watch Tower", his best. 13 degrees here, I got nothing better to do. Remember it a O/T, don't bitch if ya opened it.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Listening to All Along the Watch Tower when I opened this. The best remade song out there, sorry Mr. Dylan.

ss

3. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

First concert I ever went to...my Dad took me. We were the only guys in the whole place that had on suits!! Dad said you always wear suits to a concert! That was his last rock concert. I'd say Good and I think he could have been great had he lived. Not really a large body of work.

Hendrix was ahead of his time and at the same time he pushed rock to a new level. I have always wondered how he would have progressed had he kept himself alive....look at Eric Clapton and what he has gone on to do.

I prefer Santana, makes me wanna dance and Stevie Ray Vaughn, makes me wanna drink, when it comes to string benders. Dig out some old ZZ Top....that oughta bring up the temp!

4. shotslinger

shotslinger Member

I always like Red House - alot of feeling in that song. Here is a tidbit of information on Jimi's playing - he played a right-handed Strat upside down (he was a lefty) and therefore the volume and tone controls were easily at his fingertips for added effects. I noticed that some right-handed players purchase left-handed guitars and re-string them righty so they can do the same thing with the control pots!!!
    Dave C.

5. samiam03

samiam03 Member

#1 on the "Rolling Stone" list of the 100 greatest rock and roll guitarist. Saw him perform 3 times. Unfortunately the list doesn't include Roy Clark.

Three great guitarist from the Washington DC area - Roy Clark, #57 Roy Buchanan (deceased - suicide) and #63 Danny Gatton (deceased - suicide)

6. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Do you remember a guy named Link Wrey, from the D.C. area? Maybe I'm older than I feel.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Click above for a little ZZ LaGrange.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

There is a group of individuals affiliated with a religious denomination in my part of town. They often come to my home and want me to releave them of the "Watchtower" newspaper. I always ask them: "Hendrix or Dylan version?"

They often get that "deer in the headlights" look and quietly leave. I guess they don't really know "Watchtower"..

9. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Well lookie here what I started. More old fart rock "n" rollers about than I thought. Well since we have a link to ZZ Top and Len-nerd-Skinner, may as well ask your opinion about Gun's & Roses, and IMHO the #1. all time rock and roll band ever, KISS. Or the Stones, whose better?

10. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Sure I remember Link Wray. Jan 15th is "Link Wray Day". He did the Batman theme song. He should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Two other notables from the DC area: Tom Principato - great blues guitarist recorded solo, with Danny Gatton and with "Powerhouse".

Jimmy Thachery - another blues guitarist - original member of the "NiteHawks" and now has a band named "Jimmy and the Drivers"

Crap - now I've got to find the vinyl. I'll be up for hours.

Sam

11. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I got to go to his grave site in Seattle. That was pretty cool.

I had been a fan since I got my hands on "Smash Hits" LP when I was a kid.

... tire tracks all across your back, uh-huh, I can see you had your fun. ...

12. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Chango2 I'll have to remember that line - that's priceless.

One time they asked me "would sell your soul for a nickle? I asked if they needed change for a dollar.

Sam

13. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

And just as a after thought, for all you young guys, 35 years and under. Cut us a little slack if we seem a tad slow. When you see us old toads on the 16 yard line looking for our shell bag, just remember we lived thru the best and worst of this U.S. of A. has seen, well maybe. I wern't here for the big one, WW 1. The best rock and roll, this country has ever seen, ever will see, 1952-1968. We'll still out shoot you in the long run, just ask us. Hire a old timer, he'll show up everyday, on time, drug free. We made ours, now they want to take it all away.

14. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

The Filmore Concert, Allman Brothers in the headset right now. What really bothers me is that my daughter in college right now finds my music pretty good for old folks and I find a lot of what she listens to the same.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Falcon Sprint? Cool car, those sedan bodied Mustangs. My father had a '64 with a built 289 and four speed. Ran pretty well. I later had a '65 Ranchero with 4 speed and 289. Headers, hi rise, and a Holley. Lotsa power up to 4500 rpm in that light car. Was under cammed, but got great mileage with a 2.80 rear end. Those were the days and that was the first, IMO, of the fun small sedans as an alternative to huge boats with 400+ cubic inches.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Anyone see the movie "The Watchmen"? There's a scene in it where Dreiberg (Nite Owl) and Rorschach are in their craft approaching Adrian Veidt's fortress. "All Along the Watch Tower" is playing in the background, and the lyrics almost exactly match the scene. Nice touch.

I listen to Hendrix on a regular basis. The only person who has done justice to his music was Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I like Santana, and listen to his music often also. My favorite Santana song is his remake of the old Zombies hit "She's Not There". Excellent guitar work.

And yeah, I'm an old rocker. Part of my tinitus is due to having a huge amplifier for my stereo with ginormous speakers. The volume control was Loud, Louder, Really F* Loud, Windows Break, Police Enroute.

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Purple Haze and Hey Joe!!

Still have his 1st album...

Curt

18. ALF27

ALF27 TS Member

My 15 year old son just loves playing my three old Fender guitars ... go figure.

He's saving his money to buy his own Fender tube amp. He likes the tone and crunch of my old Deluxe Reverb.

He likes playing along with my classic rock tunes playing on the computer. He likes it loud ... so do I.

He's got youth and desire on his side .... wow ....... lucky guy.

ALF27

19. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

"Have you ever been.... have you ever been, to electric lady land? That magic carpet place - so don't you be late." Jimi Hendrix

Ducks

20. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Link Wray and his Raymen,aka"Hillbilly Wolf"---big hit was "RUMBLE"

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.