1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Jackplate on bass boat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TRAINWRECK, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

I am thinking about installing a jack-plate on my Ranger bass boat. What % will the jack-plate increase the boats top speed? What are the pros and cons of jack-plates?

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Maybe a couple of MPH,,but you can fine tune your engine to get the best fuel economy, also if you need to idle out of shallow water they help,,,mine travels 6",,don't ever run your boat at high speeds with the motor up over 4",,

You should also have a motor with low water pick up,,My Merc.225 Pro XS has water intake holes in the bullet nose,,most engines don't,,and be ready to spend about $1200.00.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I would think that any gained speed would be slight. Jack Plates are made to lift the motor up so that the boat can run on plane in skinny water. It may also be nesessary to add low water pick-ups to the lower unit of your motor, so that the ones you have now do not suck-up to much air into the cooling system. Only difference in speed is because of less drag on the lower unit being shorter, a stainless steel prop w/ the correct pitch will add more speed to your boat. The plates will allow your boat to run on plane in water less than 12 inches deep, and most are hydro. adjustable. These are a rather large investment if you don't really need one. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

You also may have to reprop.

5. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Has anyone tried the plastic fins/wings that bolt onto the lower part of the motor (at the water line area)that are suppose to get the boat up on plane quicker? Do they work? What are the negatives? I have a new 4 stroke Mercury (25hp) on a 16' fishing boat that has a difficult time getting up on plane even though I have the gas can, 1 battery and trolling motor in the front. Once it gets up it will do 20+ MPH which is plenty fast but getting it up quicker would be nice. I've tried trimming it with the motor but that doesn't seem to be the answer. Any ideas? Glenn

6. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

glenn, what pitch prop is on that motor,,the fins do work, they are just ugly,,

7. emm2

emm2 Member

If you own a ranger you should not go over a 6 inch jack plate, Ranger only warranties their hull with no more than a 6 inch plate. I have a 6 inch on my 2004 185 DVX, it is a manual jack plate. I picked up about 1.5-2 mph based on GPS speed but got the boat out of the hole quicker. The manual jack plates are not very expensive and fairly easy to install yourself if you have an engine puller.

8. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

emm2,,ditto the manual j/p, they are just a pain to fine tune,,

When I ordered my Z20 I had the Mercury SmartCraft Gauge installed,,a little digital screen that shows a bunch of different things like rpms water pressure and gallons per hour of fuel burned,,that is where you can dial in the trim and jack plate to get the best fuel economy,,,well worth the money if you make long runs like I sometimes do,,,40-60 miles one way,,,

9. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I asked the dealer about the prop and he said to leave it alone as I have a 5 year warranty. He said the plate should help get it up on plane. We'll see. Glenn

10. andybull

andybull Active Member

I have a Hewes Redfisher 21 with a 300 V-Max Yamaha. I can tweak the engine height With the hydraulic jackplate in order to obtain maximum speed.

Andy

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

How fast does that 300 push you? I had a 200hp johnson bored .060 over to about 250hp, All I could get was 73 mph from my 21' bass boat..

12. Pull & Mark

Glenn, do try the doel fin type, as they are the best that I have seen. The others seem to work pretty good too. The only drawback to them is every once in a blue moon the metal plate over the prop can break with these fins installed on them. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

My boat does close to 70 MPH. That's about 10 MPH too fast for me ;>).

Russ25Trap. Good for you!

14. Pull & Mark

Russ, are you sure your not getting trim tabs mixed into your story. Only trim tabs will raise the transom up and out of the water, unless you have a extremly powerful motor. Raising the prop up in the water line will not raise the transom up with it. Trim tabs and trim on the outboard will give your boat the proper attitude and will ride higher on plane, than without trim tabs. Jack Plate only gets prop up to run in shallow water. Which is not to say that you can't find a sweet spot with a jack plate for a little better speed. But for me, I could only go as fast as the ocean conditions let me. You don't fool around with Mother Nature. You follow her lead. So trying to go over 40 mph or knots was out of the question on almost all days. Keep your lines tight and the wind at your back. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My brothers and I ran a Drag Boat in the Northern Illinois Drag Boat Association on the Illinois Chain of Lakes, (Blarney's Island) it had a built by Baker Marine Merc Mod-VP mounted on a 7 inch hydraulic lift plate and a Land and Sea shifting prop that went from a 19 to 23 pitch for max performance ... When lined up, just stand on it, hit the up button, and hang on ... It was mounted on a Tunnel Hull and would run the flying 1/4 at just over 112 MPH ... It looked like only the prop was in the water when it was running all out, have videos but no pictures ... They work, so does the Dol-Phin which I had on my personal boat ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

How fast does a Ranger have to go before it is considered a "Bass Boat"?

17. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Thanks you for all the help on this.

My boat will run 71-73 on the gps(tacking 5500rpm), the way the motor is mounted when trim all the way down but when I try to trim it up just a bit the motor starts sucking air. I also have about 6 ft of the boat making contact with the water when on plane. My thoughts are the motor need to be droped into the water to raise more hull out of the water when on plane. What do you folks think about this.

The boat is a 20'7" Ranger with a 225 mer

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Train, I believe you are right in your thoughts. I've done just that several times. Check your motor and see if it can't just be lowered an inch or inch and a quarter. Usually that's all you need or that has been my experience. Jackie B.

19. gotbass

gotbass Member

Train - I have never been in a bass boat that was running that kind of speed or top end trimmed all the way down. Normally you are trimmed alll the way down to come out of the hole and then trim up as you come up on plane and trim to what ever your top end running is if you are going flat out. It is a balance of trim and throttle. 6 feet of boat in the water sounds like a lot too if we are talking bass boats at that speed given that normally a twenty foot boat like mine I am told is running on the pad which is less than three feet and more like 2. I have a 20 ft. Bayon (a Northern California builder) not to be confused with Bayliner, 225 Yahama and depending how it is prop'd will run in the low 70's with a fixed jack plate.
    If We are Smart? enough to shoot trap, we should be smart enough to not go 70 in a bass boat!

20. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Gotbass yous said a mouthfull. I would like to add one more thing to your post. Which is, if we are smart we would not shoot trap or run 70 in a bass boat. But us trapshooters also do the smart thing like sell the gun that put us on the fence because we think we can shoot something else better. LOL

I am not worried about top speed, I just dont think my boats set up right and need some help from someone other than saleman tring to sell me something I dont need. Based on your post and others, I have to much boat in the water when on plane. I still have a few holes to low my motor which I plan to do this weekend.

What improvement can be expected by setting the motor back off the boat more, as 5"jackplate will do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bass boat jack plate

bass boat jack plate top end speed
how to install a jack plate on ranger bass boat
jack plate for a 19 foot ranger bass boat
pros and cons of a jack plate on a bass boat
ranger boat not getting in plane engine needs to be lowered

ranger z20 top speed

recommended jack plate for 20 ft bass boat