1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T It's starting to crumble

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SARGE75X, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Got called into the conference room yesterday by my boss and he told me and a couple other contractors as of Friday we are jobless and the future of the rest of the steelworkers at this facility dosen't look good. Small pebbles that could cause a avalanche. I'm already retired so I'll just go back to school full time for the spring semester but I hope my pension check continues to come. I think this whole mess is going to get much worse before it gets better, I remember my mother telling me that during the great depression they were catching and eating Dog Fish from the Wabash river because they had nothing else to eat, hope it dosen't come to that.

2. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Sorry to hear that sarge. We were told the same thing at the mill where I worked.

That was in 1982.

AJ100

3. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Yeah the 80's were tough, what happened at Wisconsin Steel was a crime.

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

And I remember 20% unemployment in Pittsburgh 1982, I joine the Marine Corps.

Ronbo

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

"It's starting to crumble"??? I live in the Detroit area, welcome to the party.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It started crunbling here in Boise about 10 months ago. A lot of Calif folks sold their homes and moved here into a nice home for a 1/3 of what they gor in Calif, then the market here exploded and homes tripled in value so a lot of the folks here refinanced and pocketed big bucks ( in some cases $50,000 plus) Now they are f---. Too many loose loans got a lot of people in trouble.

7. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Well I never saw anything like what was going on recently until after I retired in 05. Guys here at the mill had a open check book on overtime. People working 16 hours, everyday, for weeks even months. The contracts with the mills here in N/W Indiana were just settled with everybody getting a raise and a $6K signing bonus( but the contract hasn't been inked and nobody has gotten anything yet, rumor going around about the company not wanting to sign now). I was called back as they were so short handed and now the bottom has fell out and fell out big time.Alot of people are scared and with good reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.