1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Is gun fit all that important?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I love to shoot and it doesn't matter to me the kind or type of gun. Mostly I shoot shotguns, for skeet or trap. I shot a 94 Sunday with a 410 but that is about my average(92) with any gun or gauge that I pick up, be it a 686, ES100, 390, 1100 or Stoeger. I'm having trouble with the expense of "fitting" a gun. Does everyone out there that has been fitted improve drastically? Has it been worthwhile for you? What all had to be changed for your fitting? Thanks for your responses. Jackie B.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I think fit is important, but there's no reason not to do it yourself if you are not over-concerned with how it looks. I won't put up with bad fit for any reason.

Neil

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Doubt that anyone has had their scores improve "drastically" by doing this.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that shooters who pay to have their guns fitted to them (or by new guns that are fitted) are looking to change their average from 97 or 98 all the way to 99..... :)

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes, its very important if you want the gun to shoot where you are looking and if you're REAL serious about the consistent results of your trap shooting. Each time you shoot NOW, you are conforming to the gun.......but the gun should really conform to you. I can and have done the same thing you speak of with different guns, but I'd rather KNOW the gun is fitted to me and that all I have to do is mount it TO ME consistently!

5. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Some people I know can pick any gun off the rack & run off 24 or 25, I've seen it done for kicks, giggles & a few bucks thrown in a few times. I could not mount my own gun consistently without first getting the stock bent for cast off at the heel, and a pad adjuster installed to get the right stock drop. Made all the difference for me. But to answer your question, although not recommended, some people do not want to get their stocks modified, as it "reduces the resale, heirloom, investment value, etc., etc., of the gun", and are able to adjust their shooting form to a box-stock gun. - JoeBerg

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Neil is the guy who once stated he cut a motch in his Bowen so his earmuffs wouldn't hit. That is how important fit is. For some of us it's make it fit or give it up. Way more than a few targets. Sounds like Jackie B is average build who can adapt well to most guns.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gun fit is very important. Unfortunately, many do not realize what a proper fitting gun feels like until they finally find one.

Pat Ireland

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Gun fit is every bit as important as penicillin is in a clap clinic.

Jim

9. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Purpose of "gun fit" = supporting a cottage industry of stock-hackers & book peddlers.

What a bunch of clap-trap.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A correct gun fit is only important if you want to maximize your shooting potential. If you are content with shooting just any gun and scoring in the low 90's then don't waste time setting up a gun for your dimensions. Otherwise think about what Pat Ireland said.

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the trick shooters (from the hip,overhead,etc.)couldn't care less about gun fit.

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

It makes absolutely no difference and everyone knows it. Silly question.

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Buzzgun, Did you miss class today????

Jim

14. Shooting Jack

Jim101, Now that puts it into a perspective that even I could understand. I really didn't mean anything negative about the question of gun fit. I guess I should have better explained myself. I recently purchased a BT99 Micro Pigeon gun and can shoot 24 consistently from the 16 which I understand is easy for most of you but the gun just does not feel right. I am used to looking down the flat top of the rib and covering the bird. As it is now with the comb adjusted all the way down I do see the figure 8 with the front and middle sights but I have to hold my head down hard on the stock to see that.(It's not comfortable) I guess I just have to get used to it and may be making more out of it than I should. Jackie B.

15. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

(...Shhhh, Jim....I'm teaching today...)

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you shot a 94 with a 410, the gun fits. HMB

17. Shooting Jack

HMB Actually it was with two guns. A 686 silver pigeon with 410 fixed skeet tubes and a Tristar O/U, two rounds each. And before I have you believing the wrong thing that was shooting skeet not trap. Unfortunately we don't have a trap machine right now and I prefer to shoot trap. To me trap gives me more room to improve as when I get where I can shoot 25's on a regular basis at the 16 I will start moving back. I intend to pick up a book about gun fit and find out if it's something I can do, or maybe have a better understanding of it anyway. Thanks for your responses. Jackie B.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Gun fit is a good thing, absolutly needed no. I shoot lefty so as long as the cast is nuetral and the toe isnt digging into me becouse of toe in. Then all is good. I bought a browning Gold sporting. After shooting it alot I was getting poked in the ribs, to much toe in. I got a wenig lefthand stock. Not a custom fit but designed with left hand shooter in the end product. Now that gold comes up naturally not hunting for right position and bead alignment. Now if your like me I like the clay targets to be visable above the barrel, not like my 870 that you need to cover the target, then you need a gun that shoots like that or custom fit

19. Shooting Jack

If I look down on the vent rib instead of looking level down the vent rib the gun should be shooting high should it not? As I look down at level on a vent rib I would normally cover the bird for a hit but by looking down on the rib I should always be able to see the bird even as I shoot, thereby being able to see the bird hit. Right? What is the easiest way to determine how high you POI is?(what yardage) What should it be? What is the value of being able to see the bird? I've heard or read where most trapshooters POI as being high. Is this one of those things that once you know it, it makes perfectly good sense? Jackie B.

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Jackie.Rollins book, stock fitting secrets and niel winstons pattern method got me on track, and shooting so much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.