1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Is a camper worth it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

To those with experience is taking a camper to trapshoots worth it. I plan on trying to shoot 10-15 shoots a year. I know there is nothing like staying in something you have, but there is towing and setup. Someone with experience, please tell me. Need to know what to do. Thanks, Matt

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I bought my 5th wheel, 3 years ago, primarily to take to shoots. I enjoy having it quite a bit. I probably only go to 5 or 6 shoots a year. If the price of desiel ever goes down I may go to more.

JON

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

For what it costs to buy and use one, you could stay at the Hilton and eat sirloin 3 times a day.

4. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

If your looking to save money forget it, but it is nice to have a place to relax between events

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The biggest advantage is the ability to go relax between envents or just hide out from all your fans seeking your autograph. An actual "camper" on the back of a truck may be a little tight for real relaxation but at least you can hang out around it where there's a refer for the sodas, sandwich material, and a toilet handier than standing in line at the club house. The 5th wheel, tug trailer, or motorhome will provide much more privacy but will run up the cost considerably. Cheaper than a motel? Probably not if you're honest about the expenses to buy, maintain, added fuel, and all with the camp unit. Stay at the motel? Whether a nice one or dump, you surely find you aren't all that interested in going back and forth to it between events. So the choice must be whether it's worth having the home away from home to relax at during shoots....Bob Dodd

6. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

To all that posted, thank you for your opinions. As some of you may know, I have started a business specializing in stock painting and my style of recoil reducers. I have stayed with my friends in a camper this year, it is so nice. I don't like hotels and it makes it a plus. I thought with trying to set up as a vendor, the camper would be a plus. Matt

7. guncase

guncase TS Member

Sglr45,,,,,,,,, Please send me your personal e-mail address for some info about campers,,motorhomes and vending. I can help you! I have been doing it for 17 yrs. Paul of Warwick gun case co.

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Wait a minute. Painting stocks, traveling to trap shoots for business. It all of a sudden might become a business deduction and tax deductable. Talk to your accountant. If you do it correctly, it might workout. motordoc

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I had a 27 foot motor home with a 402 Chevy and it got 12 miles per gallon.

Had a smaller Chevy 350 van type class C and it got a little less.

First I had a 15 foot travel trailer and it was to small.

I have used a conversion van with bed and TV and it works too. Shoot site has food and showers.

I would rather stay on site and sleep longer and have move time to visit. I hate driving to and from the shoot each day unless it is really close and easy to unload and load all. Ray

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

This Is almost like saying {Is a trap gun worth It?)

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My 36' diesel pusher got on the average 7.8 mpg from Fl to Sparta and back. That was also with the generator running the entire time. I enjoy the comfort and convenience of my coach. And the cost? Hell it's only money, spend it and go make more. Jake

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

A couple years ago I got a 16' cargo trailer. Put some cabinets in it and some drop down beds. I can set it up in about 1/2 hour with canopy set up and inside done. It is comfortable as well as versatile. I can haul 3 full size Harleys in it or a whole bunch of furniture and still sleep 4 people nicely (8 if they're VERY close friends!) It's a bit primitive without water or a comode but it has 110 volt lights and 12 volt lights if there is no hook-up. It works for me. I pull it with a Ford F-350 diesel and get about 11-13 mpg depending on the terrain I'm pulling over. As it sits I have about $6-7000 in it.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

13. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Having your own CLEAN bed, toilet, shower, cool and private sanctuary, to me, is worth the extra (if any) cost for travel, lodging, and convenience. The only time I have to use a motel, is when we drive 1500 miles in a day and a half to Tucson, stay 4 days and drive back in 2 days (maybe, a bit "nuts"). I use a "toy-hauler" for living and some display area, and certainly not the "Cadilac" of trailers, but adequate and the difference in the cost of the trailer goes for fuel 10-11mpg pulling 70 mph (actual, not estimated)....merlyn..

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

frank c, I tow a 30' 5th wheel with a 2WD, 2001 Ford Power Stroke Diesel and it will require 12 MPG average and will drop to 11 when in the Western mountains. Alone, the truck gets me 21 to 22 MPG when traveling to local shoots or other functions.....Bob Dodd

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Being a devout cheapskate I shopped for a lightweight fiber glass camper that I could pull with a 6 cylinder vehicle. I gave up the search, yeah I found some pricey units but they didn't have any advantage over a comfy tent and were a nuisance to pull. I think you need a tow vehicle big enough to haul a reasonable camper and for us the motel scene looks less expensive.

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Is a motorhome treated like a motorboat/sailboat for tax purposes - sleeping quarters, kitchen, head etc... then you can consider it tax-deductible mortgage financing on the tax return as a 2nd home?

Jay Spitz

17. vanman

vanman TS Member

I have the 5th or tug in mind also. I have looked at several friends that take them to shoots or other events and vacations. I rented a motorhome this year at the state shoot in Kingsburg, Ca. and had the biggest disappointment ever!!! will not rent from that person again, but will look at other rentals until I purchase my own. I think it would be fun to stay on-site and have the ability to wait-it-out for the shoot-offs and awards without getting too tired/hungry ect.

It may cost more than most motels but I thinks the payout is worth the convenience. The problem I have right now is the F250 V-10 that goes from gas station to gas station at around 8 miles to a gal. I pull a 5th. three horse trailer and get around the same so at least it's consistent.

If you rent one? Check it out first. If the rental is too fare away to check it out and the rental company can't get around to sending you photo's of the units before you send the deposit!!! RED FLAG! But I'm in the market.

Good Luck,

Van

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have been the campwr, 5th wheel and motor home route.

For one day, and some 2 day shoots, a camper is fine.

For weekend shoots, a motorhome works well, if you plan on staying at the cluball the weekend. Pulling a car behin is a major PITA!

If you are going to do something like the Arizona Winter Chain....a 5th wheel if best. All the comforts of a motorhome with the added benefit of the hauler to use for running around.

Just my 2ยข.

19. ccridr

ccridr Member

A RV that can be lived in is a second home and can be used as a tax deduction.
    Colby

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Best suggestion here:<br>
    <br>
    "If you get a "toy hauler" all you have to do is roll up the back door and you are open for business. Very little setup and take down at all. Beats wrestling with a tent or canopy. ed."<br>
    <br>
    These are the trailers with the last 1/4 to 1/3 turned into a 'garage' for ATV storage. You could set up a shop and a display inside that, separate from your living quarters. Thus no foot traffic through your living quarters. These come in 5th wheel and conventional, though 5th wheel is the way to go for ease of backing, etc. With a real shop on it, it would also be easier to prove it is a business deduction. In addition to your stocks, you could put in a display case with other trapshooting items, like Uni-Dots, shell catchers, choke tubes, and other items commonly needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.