1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Insulated Underwear

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hello all! I am looking for some insulated underoos! I am extremely cold natured, and tired of being cold. This year at the Missouri Fall Handicap, I about froze. Now I know, that everyone is different....I saw Leo one day and he was wearing a T-Shirt and I had on 2-3 layers. I have looked at the Carol Davis Thermals on this site. I am not looking for hunting insulates. I am basically looking for Thermals to wear while shooting in cold, windy conditions. I have some Under Armour, and haven't been that impressed. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you have a good suggestion, please let me know.

Matt

2. msmith

msmith Member

Matt, Did you try flannel lined jeans?. I use Carhartt flannel line jeans and they are great. Mike

3. TC

TC TS Member

Don't know which Under Armour you have, but there is a difference between "Heat Gear" and "Cold Gear". I have three sets of Cabela's polyester; base layer, midweight, and heavy weight depending on conditions and activity. Also three weights of wool sox's. You need to keep your feet, hands, and head warm. Stay away from anything cotton; polyester and wool are much better because they don't hold moisture.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Matt, I work construction in Indiana. The best I have found is Doufold company. They make different kinds out of different materials. I use the Sportsman series. Doesn't shrink and keeps me warm down to about 20 degrees, then I've got to go with insulated Carhart bibs. I get the Doufolds at Dicks Sporting Goods. They are not cheap, but well worth price. JMO. Wayne

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

TC,

I have the Under Armour Cold Gear. They say on tag...Polyester and Nylon. These were given to me as a Christmas Gift a couple of years ago. I am not knocking the Under Armour product, but these just do not provide what I need. Like I mentioned before, I am extremely cold natured. When I go to shoots I room with a guy that is hot natured. During the middle of summer, he sleeps next to the A/C in the hotel room, and turns the A/C to coldest. I sleep in the Under Armours then.

Matt

6. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Good morning Matt, I work outside all year long, and in 35 years of Ironworking, the warmest material I have found is called polypropylene. The long johns that I wear are made by a company called Kenyon. They are supposedly used by the US Army. The color is a kind of a drab brown. In my experience, the trick to keeping warm, is wearing layers of clothing. But you want some air space between the layers, tight fitting clothing does not work. What are you wearing on your head? You lose a lot of heat thru your head, and a warm hat is helpful. Also good footwear and gloves will help you out. When you are trapshooting, you don't move around too much, and this can add to the discomfort.

Keep warm and have a good day, Rodbuster.

7. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I love LLBean's silk long underwear for daily wear. Kim :)

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Rodbuster,

My headwear really depends on how cold it is. I wear Pro-Ears Muffs when shooting, so I usually put on a baseball cap under them. The muffs keep my ears warm. I usually wear tennis shoes while shooting, but this year @ Missouri made me rethink that. My feet got really cold in the mornings. I recently purchased a set of Merrell Low-Hikers from Cabelas for someone to give me for Christmas. They are not insulated, but should be warmer than tennis shoes!

Thanks for all the input, and keep the suggestions coming.

Matt Woodson

9. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

No Cold Gear Under Armour for me. I use to bow hunt and they were the coldest underwear I ever wore. Gave them to by son. He is a runner and wears them all the time. He just loves them. God I use to get cold in them!

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

Living up here in Alaska and riding snow machines when it's -20 has taught me to layer. I use a heavy poly type underwear, pile pants and finally a gortex shell to let the moisture out. And Bunny boots are the only thing to keep your feet warm. Matt then you need different weights of long underwear and pile for different temperatures.

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well Matt, I'm not sure what you don't like about Carol's gear. If anything, at times it's too warm.

Layering is the way to go, of course. You'll want to look at silk, Merino wool, fleece, and Windstopper or Windshear brands.

Sierra Trading Post (link above) has some good deals on long underwear.

I've also purchased Wavelite gear from nrsweb.com (a kayaking/watersports store.)

Cabela's is a good source also.

Search for merino and fleece and I think you'll find some things that will work well.

Scott

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'll second the vote for polypropylene. I purchased some at an Army surplus store and it is warm.

13. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Under Armour Did NOT! work for me either. I got the cold gear for a present as it's about $50 a piece and wouldn't buy it myself. I about froze to death in it and it wasn't even that cold. I thought I was the only one who didn't like it. I'm glad I'm not. I like the Doufold best also.George

14. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

You dont say what ur wearing on your feet, hands and head. These extremities are very important as the heat lose is greater there.
    I live in Florida now,used to live in Vermont.
    To keep warm,last year the temp was -28 below zero at Killington Vt.
    First any natural fiber will absorb water. All man made fiber such as all the poly's are hydraphobic, do not absorb water.
    You cannot mix wool or cotton with poly's.
    Thermax fiber midweight, the fiber is a hollow tube such as is the polar and grizzly bear hair as they are the same animal.
    Thermax fiber expedition weight-this is for extreme non moving in cold weather.
    You need to layer.
    A mid weight crew next to your skin, long bottoms, same kind of socks, no cotton,no wool.
    Another mid weight zip turtle weight on top of the crew.
    A gore tex jacket lined with thinsulate, at least 200-the goretex lets the moisture out but keeps the rain and wind out, the thinsulate keeps you warm.
    Pants can be flannel lined or not depending on your body.
    A hat, good gloves and shoe ot boot.
    This should keep you warm til 10 above.
    I wear the same except sometimes an extra poly long sleeve over the t neck when really cod,below zero and windy.
    Cabelas carries thermax maybe, I have tried them all living and working outdoors and skiing in Vermont.
    A hat and short boot

15. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

Polypro or what I wear in a boat saltwater duck hunting, Cabela's Thermax or Thermastat. I use the light or medium weight and it's thin, dry and warm. And comfortable. I've never tried the heavyweight versions.

www.cabelas.com/p-0005027.shtml

I wear wool or fleece over them. And a big old parka, or parka shell, if it's pouring rain, sleeting or snowing.

Polypro sock liners, medium insulated socks, loose, not tight, thinsulate insulated boots and a great hat and gloves round out the cold proofing. Well, that and a good pair of chest waders, but maybe you could do without those.

John

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Matt, I have used Carol Davis thermals advertised on this site and will vouch for their superiority over everything else I've tried. I just came back from a moose hunt in Vermont and never once was I or my father cold. I use the heavy-duty union suit for hunting, ice-fishing and cold weather shooting. This garment allows me to wear less layers and be more comfortable and manuverable. Carol Davis also makes a lighter 2-piece garment, this may be what you're looking for. Good Luck.

17. DadPlus4

DadPlus4 Member

my humble opinion - Carol Davis or LLBean

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have worn Duo Fold 2 layer long johns for years. I buy the union suit because the elastic waste bands on the two piece always loose their elasticity after a few years.The union suits last me for 10 years or more. The are a wool cotton mix and are really comfortable

19. mooney

mooney Member

Damart

Mooney-Glenn W

20. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

check out damart. really great stuff. they used to make a turtleneck but i don't see one now. the top and bottom with a work uniform kept me comfortable at -30 in the winter. motordoc