1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Info on home beer making, please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by snapthecat, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Would like comments on how good the beer is from the home kits. I'm sure folks on here have experience on this. Thanks

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Proceed with caution, It's an intoxicating hobby.

Jim

3. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I've made fine wines for years. I've never made beer. The one bit of advice I can give you is the most important one of all. Sterilization is a must. Buy some Sodium Bisulfate an rinse every thing that comes in contact with your beer with this stuff.(hydrometets,bottels,caps,spoons,ect) ALWAYS!!....Also google "beer making"....Nuc

4. burgy

burgy TS Member

I made it and it turned out great. Hardest part was finding bottles. Nuc is right, make sure everything is super clean. The longer you leave it sit the better it tastes..but if you're like other trapshooters, it won't sit that long.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Put some 7.5's or 8's in it. Gives the beer a heavy taste.

6. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Not hard to do, except for achieving that final carbonation. To much, and your beer bottle opens like you shook it up. Your home will smell just lovely while you are brewing. Give it a try.

7. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Here is a web site you can purchase the equipment including bottles also the cleaning chemicles mentioned above. One thing is a must GET a hydrometer and glass jar ! this is well worth the cost if you want to make beer when the "must" gets down to 1007 or 1008 time to bottle and no blow ups will occur.
    I have made beer for 50 years or more and the taste is wonderful! so much better than commerical beer! It like anything you do takes time and practise.
    Chuck

8. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Opps, forgot to put in the web site. it is: www.ECKraus.com sorry bout that..
    chuck

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Sterilization is the key, the rest is simple

10. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I made beer once about 20 years ago. Repeat once. The beer tasted fine it was the mess involved that made me never want to make it again. If they say to use an 8 quart pan to cook all the stuff in, make sure it is an 8 quart pan or bigger and not a 6 or 7 quart pan. If they while cooking it will suddenly come to a head, that is exactly what it does (very suddenly and all over the place mostly because of the smaller pan). Make sure you make it some where that cleans up easily.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Used to make it, easy to do, as stated bottleing is a pain and messy, the easiest way to bottle it is get some Cornelius Kegs, the kind they ship soda syrup in they hold 5 gal and that's usally the amount you brew,sterilize real good or you get weird tastes, I used bleach, and worked fine. The good part about the kegs is that you don't have to go through the carbonization part just apply CO2 to the keg get it cold and ta ta your beer is good to go.

I even got into mashing the malted barley, cooking it until the starch turned to sugar and fermenting, it sounds hard, but if you can do it in your garage, it's kinda fun way spend an afternoon, as it takes a while, the garage thing is so you don't mess up the wifes kitchen.

And as you are brewing, drink some of the last batch and you will get real creative and find out all the flavors you can blend in, jalapeno was rather interesting! It's really pretty cheap if you look around, mashing it was about a buck a gallon, but that was afew years ago.

There's a magazine that specializes in it the name is Zymergy (sp?)and there is alot of people who brew it, like I said you can have some fun, and you can have some flops.

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Sorry it's spelled Zymurgy, type that in, and you'll get more info

Good Luck!

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have never done it, Women next door to my moms used to make a winter brew for xmas. It was GOOOOODDDDD. tasty smooth.

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

There is a severe shortage of hops at the present.

Last year Hops was $6.00 a pound. It is over $20 a pound today.

There was a warehouse fire that destroyed 4% of all the stored hops. Bad weather in Europe and Australia destroyed a lot of their crop.

Expect beer prices to go up for specialty beers. Bud and the other major players have plenty of hops from their owned farms.

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Just make sure you get the carbonization right. Poppa used to make some, Nothing like the sound of a quart bottle expolding in the fridge.

Jim

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Kraus is a very good company to deal with. Look in your yellow pages and find a local brewing/wine making supplier. they will have all sorts of intructions. I use the Grolsch bottles. Kraus and the local store will have new rubber washers for them. Use the 'no rinse' sterilization powder it is llike Oxy Cleen it turns into peroxide when mixed with water. No don't use Oxy Cleen get the actual no rinse. Try to find Charlie Papazian's book ' The new and complete joy of home brewing' Has everything you want toknowfrom the simple kits to sparging etc. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.