1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T In need of a Winchester rifle expert

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ohio Bob, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I looked at a 1876 tonight. It was in pretty fair condition, 40-60 cartridge, octagon barrel, cresent buttplate. No case colors, more gray steel than anything and the wood was in good shape with a half magazine. Here is the kicker, the barrel has been bobbed to 20 inches. The original sight was reinstalled to complete the job. This was done a very long time ago. The barrel is stamped, "Browning Bros. Ogden U.T." I assume for Utah Territory. There is a tag on the gun saying this was 1 of 225 guns delivered to Browning for royalties. What would this thing be worth? I have the opportunity to buy it. I don't know enough about these old guns to know. Serial number is in the 55xxx range. It was purchased several years ago by the current owner in Kansas.

Thanks,

OB

2. IM390

IM390 Member

There was just a recent article in "GUNS" magazine about this calibre. It is not the ideal collector gun inspite of the age, etc. I believe the article was about the guns that won the west. Price is up to you... you want any gun from this era or you just want a piece of history?

3. blackbear-57

blackbear-57 Member

I have seen 2 Winchester 1876 Rifles sell in the last year. Both were in original condition but were a later model. They were priced at $3000 ea. A '76 even if the barrel has been cut seems to bring $1500. The Browning Bros. stamp will add value but the cut barrel and sight change will detract. In my opinion without seeing it I would put it in the $2000 range. Some people will pay more for the historical value but the cut barrel hurts. You can look up '76 Winchesters in the Winchester Book by George Madis. I hope this helps. Steve

4. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Thanks to all. I appreciate your response and will take it all into consideration.

OB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.