1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Immigration policies

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Shooting Jack, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Blackshear, Georgia
    I recently contacted my representatives concerning what is happening in Arizona and whether they are supporting them. This one response. Jackie B.

Dear Mr. Bennett:

Thank you for contacting me regarding our nation's immigration policies. I appreciate hearing from you.

Immigration is the most contentious issue that I have worked on during my tenure in Congress. It is imperative that we first secure our borders and enforce our existing immigration laws before we attempt to implement comprehensive immigration reform. According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), just over 600 miles of border fence has been constructed along the Southwest border to date. In more remote areas, DHS is using tower-based integrated cameras and sensors, ground-based radar, mobile surveillance systems, and an unmanned aerial system. These initiatives are in addition to border patrol agents who are actively patrolling the areas.

I have consistently supported providing the Department of Homeland Security with the necessary tools they need to protect our country from those who seek to cross our borders illegally. For instance, in July 2009, I supported an amendment requiring the completion of 700 miles of double-layer physical fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border by December 31, 2010. This amendment follows through on the three-year-old promise made by Congress and the Department of Homeland Security to secure the border under previously passed legislation.

We must also address the illegal immigrants that are currently in our country. I will not support any proposal that provides amnesty or a path to citizenship for those that are currently here illegally. Additionally, I will continue to support programs like E-verify that provide employers with tools to verify whether or not current and prospective employees are legally allowed to work in the U.S. Since its inception in 1996, the E-Verify program has provided employers with a process to verify the work eligibility of new hires. E-Verify is free and more than 87,000 employers are enrolled in the program. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, more than 1,000 employers voluntarily sign up to use E-Verify each week.

On July 8, 2009, the Senate passed H.R. 2892, the "Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2010." Included in this bill was an amendment, offered by Senator Sessions, which removed the sunset date on the E-Verify program, and requires federal contractors to participate in the E-Verify program. With my support, the Senate passed this amendment by voice vote. This program began September 8, 2009, and requires federal contractors to use the E-Verify system to check the immigration and citizenship status of new hire and those assigned to new federal contracts.

Immigration reform is one of the most important domestic issues facing our nation today. The President and Congress must work together to secure the border first. Once this is done, we can work to resolve the collateral issues. I believe we can get there, but we are not there yet.
  2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Obama don't even know there is a problem and Napolitano in charge is like handing the keys to anyone who wants them ... She was a real piece of work as Governor of Arizona and now has graduated to the Head of Homieland Security ... Kind of gives you a warm fuzzy feelin don't it, but so does taking a pee in your pants (so, I have been told) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.