1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t Ikea furniture opinion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HSLDS, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Yes, it's fairly easy to assemble. With two caveats. First, the directions are all ‘pictures’ and sometimes getting the orientation correct is not easy (pay careful attention to the ORDER of the pictures too - you often will find it to be counter-intuitive, but if you don’t follow them you’ll end up with pieces in backwards, or worse, unable to add the piece you need to put in next).

Second, you often need an extra set of hands to hold things in position while you continue the assembly. This furniture is mostly made of flake board (it’s high quality, but it’s still flake board) so it can break if you put too much torque on it.

Also, spend some time to understand the ‘cam-locks’ used to hold the pieces together (a pin is inserted into one piece - the cam lock then wraps around this and as you turn it, it locks into place) there are three sizes of these - often mixed and matched in one piece of furniture - if you use the wrong size in one place you will come up short later on...

If all else fails they have a fairly good ‘help line’ as well.

They provide some of the tools you’ll need (really cheap) - I would suggest using GOOD tools - this really speeds assembly.

One last negative - they have fairly good quality control on the number of small screws, bolts, etc. needed to assemble the furniture, but if you come up one shy the ONLY place to get the needed piece will be back at IKEA - frustration level depends on how far you live from IKEA

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A guy I know once said "For the price they charge, you could buy real furniture".

3. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

i got 2 endtables, its not so much cheap furniture, but its simple. I you dont need anything fancy then its good.

4. trapshooter1981682

i got 2 endtables, its not so much cheap furniture, but its simple. I you dont need anything fancy then its good.

5. trapshooter1981682

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd rather buy some decent second hand "Real Furniture" than buy the new crap from IKEA. It's junk, made from junk, and will never be more than junk! It does not hold up well at all. We made better stuff in my Kindergarten class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.