1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/T Ignition won't turn 2000 Dodge

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Have a 2000 Dodge Caravan, key goes in, but won't turn. Can a locksmith fix this? Mechanic? Body shop? It is in my driveway and would like someone to come here & avoid towing. Do-it-yourself? If I could just get it started I could take it someplace for a proper fix.

2. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Have you tried turning the steering wheel back and forth as you turn your switch? Sometimes it will lock in place and by turning the wheel it releases it. Butch

3. new loader

new loader Member

Steering wheel is not locked. Correct key is being used. Nothing obvious has been overlooked.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Is the key bent? As stated in an earlier post turn the steering wheel back and forth as hard as you can. There is a locking mechanism that is part of the igniton switch and it will lock the igniton tumblelrs out try rally turn the wheel hard as you try to turn the key that should work.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Porcupine - I think he said it was a Dodge Caravan or at least that is the 5th word of what he typed.

Just as a suggestion to help you get the car started so you can get it to the dealer just snagged one of the teenagers the other side of the tracks and give him $20 to get your Caravan started and in less than a minute he'll have $20 and your Caravan will be running.

Oh yeah be sure you give him the key but either way he will have the Caravan running in less than a minute.

6. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Is the transmission's gear selector in PARK ?

7. new loader

new loader Member

Nothing worked as suggested. Body shop estimate $169 + tow. Independent mechanic $175 + tow. Locksmith said he could rebuild it for $35 if I could come to his shop. Housecall add $100. So I am waiting for locksmith to come tomorrow. Will keep you updated how this turns out. Thanks to all who offered solutions.

8. new loader

new loader Member

Locksmith came to my house this morning. Had the job done less than 40 minutes. Removed the lock, rebuilt the tumblers, $95.00 for everything.

9. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

To bad the thieves don't have as hard a time starting cars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.