1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ice maker question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a small icemaker that has gotten very slow in making ice and believe that it could be low of freon and had r12 in it. What kind of freon can I use to recharge the unit with? I had a license to purchase r12 but it's not available now but believe there is something to replace it with. Jackie B.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is a drop in refrigerant A/C supply shop may tell you which it is.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

isnt the head pressure to high with R416?

4. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

409A sucks.

There are many possible causes for "very slow in making ice"
    low on freon is "low" on the probability list. If it is not low and you add more you will make things worse.
    What kind of ice machine is it?

I recomend you follow the troubleshooting procedure in the manual first.

You can usualy download a manual if you don't have one from the manufacturers web site.

There should be a phone number for technical service in the manual.

If it is low on freon it will only freeze on the first few passes of the evaporator (assuming it is a cuber)

tom

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Clean the condenser coil, it can't make ice if it can't get rid of the heat.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I will give those a try. It has set up for several years. It is a cuber and only does about 20 lbs a day. I don't remember the name brand but when I go back over to my fish camp I will get it and bring it home to trouble shoot here. Jackie B.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You can find R12 if you check with some of the local independent auto parts stores

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

As said before being low on refrigerant is probably the last thing wrong with it, does it make a slab of ice then cut it in a grid? If so it's a Whirlpool although it can have any name on it as I've seen a bunch of them with differant names.

If it makes little shot glass shaped cubes it's a Scotsman, and something as simple as the little plastic curtain in front of the evaporator is torn and it's running out of water

Ice machines can be a real PITA, but if you're in the business they can be real money makers

9. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Customers used to get pissed because I did not add freon when they picked up their window air conditioners from my shop when they were just dirty.

So much for being honest so later on I just told them what they wanted to hear.

I would tell them "Yes it was low on freon" they drove away happy then.

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.