1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ice maker help O/T

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wayneo, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Ok, I've got a 10 year old Amana refrigerator with the ice-box on the bottom. It decided to quit making ice cubes 2 days ago. Everything looks normal, there is water going to the ice maker. It looks like there are cubes in there, but the blades are not turning them out. Any fixes other than calling the repair man, or packing everything in coolers and shutting it down????

Thanks, Wayne

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Wayne, see if there is a cover on the front of the ice maker that you can pull off and see if there are any burnt wires, sometimes the wires to the heaters can burn off at a terminal and then they won't heat up so they can flip the ice out

there is also a possibilty that the gear motor is bad or has stripped it's gears

I used to work on them in the past, but they can be such a PITA, I quit

It's probably cheaper and easier to see if you can go to an appliance parts store and see if you can buy the whole new ice maker, most of them are fairly well it change, being on the bottom might be a little harder if your old and stiff like me

One of the best things I've ever bought was a Manitowoc ice machine, it puts out 240 lbs per day, if needed but stores only 80 lbs, but if you empty it it will really crank it out, but they run about $15-1800, from Superior Supply, they have about the best prices on them

3. letts

letts TS Member

Several years ago our ice maker quit in our GE refrigerator. I bought a new ice maker unit for about $90.00 at the time. Took about 10 min. to remove the old and install the new. That may be your best option even though I am sure a new unit costs more today.

Letts

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I just bought a ereal nice used side by side with ice and water for $75, Craigslist is full of buys now with people being out of $$$. I bought it just to put in garge for extra beer space and to have a backup in case my old one in the kitchen goes bad

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Wayneo, call CoreCentrics Inc. the sell rebulit units and they are in stock. look them up on the web.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.