1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T I have a car buying question?????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trapshooter, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

My son needs a car to go to work and to get to school. We found a 2003 Toyota corolla with 70000 miles on it at a Toyota dealership. The dealer said it had a certified warranty of 7 years and or 100,000 miles on the drive train. We agreed to a sale price of $8900.00 which included tax, title, doc fee's etc.. and I put a deposit on the car. We went in today to get the car and they wanted $9020.00 for the car with no warranty or $9900.00 with the warranty. Is this a bait and switch or what. I live in Ohio if that matters. I walked. Todd

2. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Sounds to me like you had a salesman whose chops got busted after he talked to his boss. And when you came back, they tried to stick it to you. Go somewhere else and find a salesperson you can deal with.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I would get my deposit back, then run away from this dealer as quickly as possible.

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Todd:

Wow what kind of excuse did they give and im sure since you left a deposit on it then they will come up with a way to keep that also.

I don't think their warentee would be worth a crap either if they done this to you on the start I know I would walk away if I could get the deposit back im sure you don't have anything in writting do you at least it looks like if you left a deposit then it should show the total amount left owed if they gave a reciept.

I would look them up on the better buisness beruea site here is one from Columbus OH above.

Don't know if that is the area where the car is or not but you can enter the name of the company and do a search.

Fog

5. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

If you have a signed buyers order by the manager, then you can hold their feet to the fire. If all you had was the salesman's word, you are holding air. Get your deposit back immediately and go elsewhere.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

If you left a deposit then you should have some paper work. I hope that paper work has a price for the car and whats left after the down payment. If you have that then take them to court and force down their throats. Its the point of the matter. Its called bait and switch and its wrong. I would also call the Better Buisness Beruea and let them know of what they are doing. I would also call the car company they deal in and let them know how they are doing things.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Walk away Unless you have a sign perchase and sales agreement. I personally would walk away just for BS. I wouldnt even let them try to fix it. Unless they are willing to drop lower than 8900.00

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Most certification programs require the car to still be within the manufacturer's warranty period. At 4 model years old and/or 70K, I don't think that'll fly - probably an aftermarket warranty - caveat emptor!

Jay Spitz

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Jay Spitz :

I have a girl that I work with that bought a mazda van 2004 model she had it for 1 month and the transmission was going out so since she had the warantee on it for the 100,000 miles and 10 years or what ever it is suppose to be then she thought she was covered.

First mistake she made was to take it to another repair shop and she thought the warentee would cover it but it didn't and it must had been one of the after market warantee also.

Anyway they agreed to pay for the parts only and she is going to be out probably close to a 1,000 for the labor and other hidden charges.

But since Trapshooter did say it was at a toyota dealership then it might have the original warantee with it but this other deal was on a used car lot.

Foghorn

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

You DO NOT officially own amything till you drive that car over the curb, I don't care what you signed! Just cancel everything. A friend had the same thing happen and they would NOT give the deposit back, very smartly, he put the deposit on is credit card, so he called the credit card company and canelled the transaction. If you gave cash or check and they don't want to give it back you could be screwed if they want to make it tough.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Like all the guys said -----"A deal is a deal" when they change you walk. The man gave you the same as his word and make him stick to it and eat his ass out for trying to change or walk. Dan

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ten Grand for a Five year old Yota Corolla? They saw you coming! I'd even say that at the original price, it's still too much. Run, don't walk away! I'd also make a complaint to the Yota corporate offices, the BBB, and maybe even the local Attorney General. Make sure you have it all documented. Many dealers are scum and would rip off their own mothers. Get your money back and go elsewhere. That "Warranty" is oftentimes worthless anyway. You say you "walked" and THAT would be the right choice indeed. I'm sure you can find something for a better price or get something better for the same money. I would personally check out any vehicle or have someone qualified do it for me. The money I could save by going elsewhere could be put aside in lieu af any warranty. If nothing goes wrong with the car in several years, you'd be way ahead of the game.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The most important thing in car buying is to buy the car you want and will keep for a while. My personal philosophy on automobiles has always been to buy new, maintain the vehicle well, and keep it until the doors fall off.

Toyota Corollas are well made automobiles and historically command high resale values.

Still, $8900 for a 4 year old Corolla with 70,000 miles is not a bargain. I would get my deposit back and look for a new Corolla, but not at this dealership.

The base Corolla model is the CE and this is the time of year that Toyota dealers (at least in Kentucky) are running year end sales and are offering a $1000 discount. The higher end Corollas have the same engines, transmissions, air conditioners, etc. so what you get in the higher priced models is trim, better audio, etc.

Many Corollas go over 200,000 miles when properly maintained.

You should also be able to finance a new Corolla at less interest than a 4 year old one.

We recently bought our daughter a 4 cylinder 2007 Camry LE and she loves it.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

If you really want the car, then call the zone office for Toyota Motor company. You can bet that Toyota doesn't want a dealer trying to hose customers. If you've found a car elsewhere than make it your business to tell freinds to avoid the Toyota dealership that tried to stick it to you.

15. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Is this Peruzzi Toyota in Pa.?

They tried to give me a $900 repair for inspection 4 years ago and there was nothing wrong.

I knew there was nothing wrong and, and I took it to another mechanic to verify.

I contacted the state police and had them cited.

After 4 years, there's still nothing wrong with a part they said was bad.

Contact your BBB, and talk to a news reporter, then buy somewhere else.

16. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

There was a radio station that did a contest for a toyota. A waitess won the contest and went to get her prize. She was talking to a DJ and another came in with her prize. She looked at it and said Ok very funny. It was a toy Yota. From Star Wars. She laughed but they said this is what we told you that you could win. Yeah right now wheres my car. NO, this is it and your not getting a car. Boy was she pissed and rightfully so. She took them to court and both sides said what they had to. The radio station said its not their fault if someone missunderstood what they were offering. The judge did not buy it at all. He said I heard your contest and I understood it to be a Toyota car. Lady, go down to the dealer and pick out the car you want. Radio station, take your check book with you when she goes. The radio station had to buy the lady a car. I just hope she took the top of the line car on the lot.

17. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

The car was listed for $10950.00 and I we had agreed to $8900.00. It is a corolla CE. The stripped down version. When I didn't see the paperwork for the warranty when I was about to buy it. I started to ask. The car was advertised with a certified 7 year/ 100000 mile warranty. I also found out the warranty is from the time it was first sold and not from when I buy it. I have the paper right here. I think I will call Toyota. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.