1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: I HATE my new computer with Vista

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I just bought a new Dell 530 with the Vista O/S and I absolutely hate it. Now everything that used to take me a whole day to do on my old windows 98 computer (keeping up with the various shooing website, ebay, ect) is now all done in 15 minutes, leaving me with the rest of the day to actually do something productive. This Sucks!! LOL

Seriously though, the computer has been great so far. Don't really see what everyones gripe w/ vista is, maybe I just haven't had it long enough to have problems?? Fingers crossed.

2. englishupland

englishupland Member

Vista is a fantastic operating system

THe problem is it requires a fairly powerful computer.
    More-so than XP and definatley more and 98

People buy a 400-500 comupter with Vista and it lags.
    You need plenty of power to run it.
    When you have that power you will love the OS

having said that, MAC is still better ;)

3. skeet_man

my comp was only $279 from dell (plus $35 shipping and tax), but it seems to be working fairly well so far. Playing online videos, ect (I watched the 1968 movie The Last Man on Earth w/ Vincent Price last night on fancast) works pretty well, some tv shows/movies have a little choppiness to them, but thats been the exception so far.

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If you're streaming video from the internet, it has little to do with your operating system. Most of that is your internet connection and your hardware. I would imagine your old Windows 98 computer had hardware in it for the time it was built, such as an outdated video card and an outdated ethernet connection. Vista is generally a pain when you want to do anything that requires the processor to work, such as photo or video editing. Because, those processes will usually take up RAM, and with Vista, that is when you start noticing horrible lag. Josh

5. skeet_man

OIC, don't really do much of either, cropping pics is about as technical as I get LOL

6. tp

tp TS Member

i agree with the above that you need real horsepower to run Vista (or a lot of the newer programs). I bought as much as I could, including a Pentium quad processor and 4 gigs of memory and huge hard drive. It was well worth the cost as I have had no issues with Vista and am liking it more each day.

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I dislike the continual interuptions for updates. Hope it will eventually get updated. Post-2

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Post-2

"I dislike the continual interuptions for updates."

I don't know whether you are serious or kidding. I will say that Mine updates itself every morning a 3 AM but I never shut a computer off any way.

Bob Lawless

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My solution to Vista? Linux Ubuntu.<br>
    <br>
    <a hre="http://www.ubuntu.com/">http://www.ubuntu.com/</a><br>
    <br>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu<br>
    <br>
    I'm running XP and 2000, for now. But the next generation of machines in this household will not be Vista or its bandaid replacement Windows 7. It will be Linux. That's why I'm setting up an Ubuntu system. Eventually the kid's systems will be Linux based too, once their current XP systems are no longer useful.<br>
    <br>

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

One thing Vista doesn't like are some of the older laser printers. I have one still being sold by HP, a color laser jet and Vista will not recognize it, nor will HP write drivers for it.

I recognizes my other HP color laser, but not the other.

Whiz

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Whiz,

Try this for the printer...

Remove all the drivers for it and restart the computer...

Then re-install and set it to the LPT-1 port NOT USB(I know, just do it...).

Re-start the machine, and then go to that printer's properties and change the port from LPT-1 to USB (I am assuming it is USB), and again restart the computer.

This is HP's work around for a lot of the Vista printer driver issues.

David D

PS Got those springs for me?? I fly home from Milan today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.