1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T I had knee replacement Monday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I just made it home and getting relaxed. I will follow doctor orders and all but wondered if there was anything special that those of you that had a knee replacement had learned. So far it has not been bad at all. No where as bad as I had expected but I started doing the exercises before I went so that probably helped. Jackie B.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Keep up with the PT and you'll be fine. Glad it's working out for you.

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Do not skimp on the exercises. Good luck, Jeff

4. Shooting Jack

I forgot to say that I had a range of 1 to 114 and they said that was real good. Jackie B.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What exactly what replaced?

6. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

Try and get to a swimming pool for PT.

But only after your incision has healed.

It is helping mine but I only hac a O Scope for the 2nd time with a new Dr.

Tom

7. chemist

chemist Member

If you are using a CPM machine make sure that it is adjusted correctly- hope you continue to progress.

8. Shooting Jack

I had a full knee replacement. As I said, I am so surprised at the lack of pain. They do give me pain meds before I do my exercise and I'm glad. Last night I went from 5:30 PM to 3AM without any pain meds. I did have a little trouble learning to pee again but I'm getting better, thank the Lord. Some remarks to me had me pretty nervous but I prayed about it and it was ok. I know that I have a long way to go yet but I miss walking in the woods with my dog. I do have a golf kart and four wheeler bu it just ain't the same. LOL I do have a stationary bike but haven't used it since I got home this afternoon but will give it a try afterwhile. Jackie B.

9. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Little more often is better that a lot followed by nothing when it comes to PT and exercising. Don't over do it, but continue therapy throughout the day even after you leave PT. You'll be fine. I don't regret getting mine done. It will be a year tomorrow!!

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good luck with it, and keep up the PT. Charlie

11. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I was in PT for ten months in 1997-1998 after a hunting accident. Got so much metal in me that funeral homes are offering free cremation just for the salvage rights.

I saw it all during that time frame. Little old women coming in behind walkers and crying about the pain. They were dancing three weeks later. The knee people were another story.

The people that really did well were the ones that absolutely attacked the PT. The whimps were in there a lot longer.

So go after the PT with a vengeance.

It will serve you well.

Doc

12. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Had bi-lateral knee replacement (both knees same day) two years ago; best thing I ever did. Exercise and weight control are two very important things.

13. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Best advice I got after surgery was on an instruction sheet the Dr. gave me.
    1. Do not run
    2. Do not jump
    3. Do not do construction work
    4. Do not climb a ladder

I was 60 when I had it done. The younger you are the better you get along.
    At the end of therapy I was bending 128 degrees.
    That was 6 years ago and doing fine

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

there's an ant crawling on my screen and it's winter!

15. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I've had both done and glad I did. The more you work the knees the better off you

are. I haven't done like I said. And suffer for it. That gets me doing it more but not enough. Listen to the others don't be a lazy arse like me. Ken U

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

What does knee replacement have to do with learning to pee again????

Just askin....

Guy B.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My wife gets her second one this coming Thursday and my first one happens April 24. The cursed recumbent bike will become my friend....

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Don't go dancing until the Doctor says you can ... Good Luck and hope you heal fast and well .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Shooting Jack

Hi Guy,

When a Cathiter is in place for over 24 hours it does affect your ability to go. Also because of the Nerve block it can affect you ability to have a bowel movement. Today was a first sort of as it happened to be my first BM and Pee like you normally would. I won't go into details but here is a learning curve.I am much better today. Jakie B.

20. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Once the incision heals, find a "Y" or such and just walk in the pool. Boyancy + water resistasnce will give you more good exercise then you'll find in most other activity. Then the stationary bike..a couple of miles and you'll have had all you can take in a session. Don't be afraid to take those pain pills before the exercise session. Believe me, it works...had both of mine done about ten years ago (together)and I just wish I had done them sooner. Last advise the Dr. gave me was don't try to knell on them to do work..and if you feel your going to fall, land on your butt or side, not on the knees. I've been very lucky and I thank God each and every day.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.