1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T-HVAC / duct work dilemma

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Here's one for anyone with HVAC or duct work experience / expertise.

We bought a new house in 1989. 4 BR with central AC. Until 2007 air circulation in the house is just fine. Suddenly, and for no reason we can find, one of our bedrooms is getting NO heat or AC from the one floor vent in the room. We've had 2 HVAC contractors in to try and figure it out. No help. One did suggest duct cleaning.

We've done no renovation to the original duct work anywhere in the house. We did replace the furnace and AC but no duct work was done anywhere near the bedroom.

So, I turn to my friends and experts here as my wife and I try to figure out our next step.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Fallow your duct work from the main trunk,to your register,sometimes there will be a flapper valve jn the line,used to balance the system,it may have gotten closed somehow.Is the room in question,on the end of the trunk line,and when they changed the air handler,did someone leave a rag or something in the duct,that may have blowen into it.Stranger things have happen...Ray

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As others have said, "Obstruction" in one form or another.

APrice--I didn't know you can rent those cameras. I could use one for a day myself. I have been very close to buying one on several occasions. As with most toys, the good ones are not cheap.

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

something simple follow the duct in question checking for change in temperature, when you find obvious temperature change drop that section, remove obstuction

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

As stated above , there could be a possible volume damper that is shut due to the work done . There is a wing nut that holds this from turning after it is set for proper volume to each room and it may have loosened up and the damper closed ??? Keep us posted .

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Ok gang, thanks for the suggestions.

The room in question is at the opposite end of the house from the location of the furnace / blower. So, I guess you could say it's at the end of the trunk line.

I know for a fact that one of the HVAC guys we had out checked the trunk and the dampers, because I was with him.

I'm thinking the next thing is a camera inspection.

I really need this now on top of the chemo I'm going through. Things never seem to happen at the 'right' time.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You have got to have a buddy that is a union tin knocker or pipe fitter. Invite them over for a look and a beer.

Nick

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Why UNION oh yea they got nothin too do lately

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gene--Nick above is right. Pull one of your markers and call a friend to help. If Wheaton was a little closer to Sparta, i'd be over to help. You take care of yourself. Your right about how "when it rains, it pours". Surely someone from here is closer to ya that could come and help a fellow shooter.

need to shoot more--Put a sock in it. Do we really need that shit on this thread?

Matt

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Need to shoot or do something-

Because the union pipe fitters and tin knockers go through a five year apprenticeship.

None of your scab buddies do.

Nick

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

nothing to do

remember we went over this.

12. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I am not sure do we? and by the way u can put a sock over it? And u should say poop not s#*t yes many guys waiting for a call from the hood...uh hall that is.

Have u ever heard of A B C great orginzation and yes they have a apprenticeship program also no nice Business Agents though how I miss them not being able to string a sentence together but just pointing and winking.

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You might want to pull the door off the furnace, and check to make sure that the insulation they put on the side of the blower compartment hasn't come loose, when the fan starts it will suck up on the fan and drop the air flow, but when the unit shuts off, it goes back to it's original position, and since it's one of the far runs, it will effect it the most, but make sure you get the door back on right so the door switch makes or the system won't start back up, it's easy to do, just wanted to warn you

It happens alot, and can be hard to catch if it hasn't happened to you before

I've been working on these damn things for about 35-36 yrs

But I am happy to say, I built a Geo system for our house, finally got everything finished today, just has to wait for some parts to tweek it, but damn it's working good, getting about a 22 seer out of it

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

those camera snakes also snake sewer lines. so make sure you're renting a clean one! good luck with it

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I may be over simplifying this but I would remove the duct cover in the room that is not working and take a mirror and flashlight, shining the light on the mirror and you can look down the duct to see where the blockage is. You may be able to take something as simple as a brimbust pole with a treble hook on the end(no line except to tie the hook on) to pull out the blockage. Jackie B.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

remstar, correct.

You could get one of those garage wizards over to piss around for a day and charge you 4 hundred, or a journeyman to fix it in an hour.

easy choice.

HM

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

do you have a good, gas powered leaf blower?

18. cafowler

cafowler Member

I know for a fact that one of the HVAC guys we had out checked the trunk and the dampers, because I was with him.

I've had new work installed where the tin-benders (union) installed the damper actuators backwards for some reason. They struggled to get the building balanced, but finally did. About 6 months later another vendor came along and messed with the damper actuators (claimed they didn't, but all were off the marks left by the balancer) and the whole building went way out of balance, really bad, to where you could barely open some doors.

So, for laughs and giggles, if you have easy access to the damper actuator you mention above, try turnning it all the closed/open the opposite direction, see if you get any flow. Just looking at the marks on the actuator doesn't really mean it is open. Learned this the hard way.

Hope this helps, and get well soon.

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm assuming you have a down-draft system since you say you're not getting any heat/cold out of a floor vent. I'm kinda surprised with a new 1989 house you still have down-draft system. By the late 70's almost all air conditioning systems went to an up-draft(air returns on the floor, conditioned air from ceiling vents). According to the "Manual J Residential Load Calculations" duct work in the slab was the worst R-Value you can get. I know, my house was built in '58. Is your house on a slab or a basement? I would think some duct cleaning should take care of the problem.

Wayne

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Hopefully you'll discover it was blocked by someone stuffing it with money. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.