1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Hunting Dog Male or Female

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Well the subject line says it all, my prefercne is females they are in my experience; more willing to please and foucsed on the task at hand. So whats the concensus??

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Males, more agressive hunters, don't have to worry about the "in-Heat" gig 2 days before your leave on a hunt, or puppies you don't want. Of course, a surgical op. ( and some $$$) can eliminate the last 2 issues. Training the males to not mark specific locations is no that tough. "Edison Medicine". Females will always have males mess'n with them while hunting.

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have three males and two females. They all hunt with equal intensity. All of my dogs are nuetered, but the males still will piss on your tires/wheels sometimes.

Most of the big running pointers that win the big stakes are males. My smallest dog, a female French Brittany @ 35lbs is the best bird finder I have, but her son's are so close it's a toss up. I have found my German Shorthairs are slightly better retrievers.

The bottom line -- get what YOU LIKE, not enough difference to quible about.

Tom Strunk

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I guess it depends on what kind of dog you are thinking about getting. I'm a beagle owner and go the female route. Beagles are all hard headed and have a mind of their own. I've found it is easier for me to win a fight with a female beagle than a male. Lose a lot with the females too.

Found both sexes to be great hunters.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Remember that the "real" Lassies were male. There was a reason!!! But I betcha Tom who posted above is right on.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Tom is right. I prefer female springers because they "seem" to mature earlier. Males will last longer in the field, but how long do you want to still be looking for birds. I have run both genders and both are sweet, make good pets, and work with equal vigor. Fred

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My males usually range a little farther and hunt a little faster but I don't have any preference. Females come in season twice a year but males will try to escape and search out females in season.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have a male Pointer and Setter. Yhet are both big running dogs but honest and reliable. My daughter recently got a female Setter whi is half th size on my males. By the end of her first season she was running with the big boys, finding birds, pointing until I got there and backing solidly.

What does this mean with regards to the question? I think it means, "Take your pick."

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Take your pick is right. I have all males. I hunt with friends that have females - no problems, they are all good. If you have no plans for breeding dogs, the male might be the better choice. Whatever behaviors that either sex has, just remember the owner needs to be the alpha dog.

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Spayed female-No fighting or peeing on everything.

11. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

Bitches over dogs any day as a general rule.

12. james25889

james25889 Member

if your getting a registered dog i would get a female so you can sell pups and make some money

13. winselect

winselect TS Member

I have a male and female shorthair, the female hunts and the male pisses on everything for 30 minutes
    Kevin

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAO@Kevin!! How true guy! That's the reason I prefer females also. :) Most males are always layin claim to lots more territory than they could possibly handle! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.