1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Howa Rifles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dave P, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

One of our small chain stores has Howa rifles in a number of calibers. I'm not familiar with the brand. Any opinions/comments pro or con?

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Some of them first imported on this go around have stocks that will kick the beejeses out of you. Looks like they have put plastic stocks on them now so that part should be ok. It's a decent rifle made to a price point, resale is poor.

3. miss alot

miss alot TS Member

I have shot some of the older rifles and there shooters for sure. Now for the newer ones i just don't know. The older rifle i shoot was a 300 win mag and would shoot sub-moa all day long. I did of coarse try to buy the rifle and the 89 yr old man said no, he just wanted someone to shoot it for him to see if it was still dead-I-dick accurate like it woulntd't be.

Shoot Straigt Shoot Often

Rich S.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Weatherby VAnguard is made by Howa.

They also have a 1500 M.O.A. that is supposed to be accurate. I see praise for the varmint models on rifle forums.

HM

5. bullseye54

bullseye54 TS Member

I recently bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .223 which apart from a few cosmetic differences is basically a Howa. It is a great shooter and according to the numerous reviews on Howa rifles I have read they are just as good.The synthetic stocks are made by Hogue,a leader in this type of stock making and the combination results in a nice overall package.

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Howa manufactured the Smith & Wesson line of rifles
    during the 70's and 80's. Great product line. Accurate
    and reliable.

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I had a friend tell me that he has a .243 made by Howa and it's a tack driver. He mentioned Weatherby also. He also said it was very reasonably priced.

Tim

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I have a 1500 in .223 with a B&L scope and it shoots sub-minute groups all day long. Put 10 consecutive rounds in the right half of a coke can bottom at 348 yards. Couldn't see the left half as it was buried.

They are excellent guns, go for it.

Brownk80

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buy the Howa, you will be very happy and totally amazed at the quality. I have two and consider them as good or better than any rifle I have ever shot or owned. I do not agree that the resale is poor as I have sold three on Gunbroker for top dollar very quickly. I have a 204 ruger Howa that is a real tack driver and a blast to shoot. I also have a Smith & Wesson made by Howa that I bought in 1980. I have quite a few rifles and the Howa is at the top of the list in performance and quality

10. art g

art g Member

An excellent bargain. The new 1500 30-06 I bought about a month ago came in a Hogue pillar bedded stock, has a good trigger and shot cloverleaf groups right out of the box. Paid around $350 for it and could not be more pleased.
    Art G.

11. cubancigar2000

Like Mr Goddard said, they are one of the best buys out there for the money

12. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

They talk about Howas over at Sniper Central.

They`re supposed to be good.

Regards, Pete

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

In the price range the Weatherby vanguard and the Howa 1500 are had to beat. They are the same gun for the most part and are both made by Howa in japan.

I sighted in and did load development for a friends in 243 and it shot 1/2 inch groups at 100 and I fired a 5 shot group at 300 that was right at 2 inches.

My father in law sold them at a local discount store and saw many that came with 3 shot targets that were less then 1/2 inch and 90% were better then an inch. Mu understanding is that The Weatherby Vanguard no longer comes with a test target so I suspect the 1 1/2 inch group guarantee must have gone away as well. It wouldn't concern me one bit. If I wanted a light, accurate, inexpensive rifle with a good trigger I would buy the Weatherby Vanguard ( it's a Howa) Jeff

14. cubancigar2000

My Howas all had decent triggers out of the box but I am a real light trigger guy so I did a Rife basix conversion on all of them. It isn't needed by most shooters

15. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

A few weeks ago CDNN had the sand stock version for $339. That is a really good buy. I have a HOWA 1500 with the thumbhole stock in 6.5x55. I bought it because I wanted a hunting gun in the same caliber as my silhouettte rifle and the 6.5x55 is available only from Howa, Tikka, and SAKO. All three are excellent but I picked the Howa. It shoots about an inch at a hundred yards. I am very pleased with it and haven't regretted my purchase at all.

16. art g

art g Member

The Howa at CDNN for $339 is the one I bought. The sand stock is a Hogue overmold with pillar bedding. Perfect free float on the barrel and as mentioned above it shoots great. artgsc@aol.com