1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - How to stop neighbor's dog barking

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Please, before any of you jump on this thread or on me, I honestly love dogs and cats. I live in a fairly typical suburban area where the house next door is maybe 20-40 feet away, backyards adjoin each other and everyone takes care of their property. A few of our neighbors seem to think it's OK to let Fido roam around in their back yard. What they may not hear is the fact that Fido NEVER stops barking. Honestly, I think it's rude but the neighbors don't seem to hear it. Our town even has an ordinance that after 10 minutes of constant barking, a dog's owner is in violation. Heck, the cops here won't come to open a locked car door, so we don't call about barking dogs. And so far, in order to maintain peace with the neighbors, we haven't made a fuss.

So, I'm respectfully asking all you dog owners and lovers out there "Is there anything on the market that I could buy, put in my yard and turn it on that would be so aggravating to a dog's ears that he/she would not bark?" I see some items advertised but they have limited range.

Any thoughts ideas appreciated. We'd just like some sleep.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Gene, at the pet store there is device for pet owners that specifically adresses this issue. I've got a yapper myself and this seems to work. It looks like a birdhouse but when it detects a noise like barking it emits an ultra sonic noise that is uncomfortable to dogs. They quickly associate the noise with the barking and they quiet down quickly. It looks like a birdhouse so your neighbors would probably not even notice.

It's about 60 bucks, but you would probably gladly pay that to stop the barking. Good luck !!!

Jason

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Gene-

The cops will come if you call them and file a noise complaint.

I think your best bet would be to talk to the neighbor about the dog. Typically, they will understand and want to keep the peace. If not then its war.

I bought a bark collar for my lab. It works well. If something is up he will bark and not get shocked for the first 30 seconds then it starts to bite him gradually through ten increments. It resets after 1 minute of not barking.
    Cost about 30 bucks.

Talk to them,

Nick

4. AlanM

AlanM Member

Gene

Had the same problem, fortunately the offending neighbor moved. But I did threaten to give the dog some lead poisoning, and I am an animal lover. There comes a time when you have to do what you have to do. One of the neighbors did call the police and had them taken to the magistrate, cost them $300.00, the barking stopped.

Alan

5. rd

rd TS Member

I have a dog that barks , and because I was working all day, I didn,t realize it. my neighbor, who worked nights alerted me. The bark collar is the cure. I tried the ultrasonic noise thing, but the dog became acclimated, and resumed barking after awhile. If your neighbor has any consideration, I'm sure he will do what's right if you tell him it annoys you.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Pop him in the ham with a daisy one cocker, the BB is so slow it won't even break the skin, but will get his attention and cure the problem.

Used this method several times and it works, no harm no foul,no arguments with the neihbor, Just don't get caught and make sure he is completly broadside so you don't risk harm to his eyes.

My niehbors dog only had one relapce after the "treatment" all I had to do was go outside and cock the BB gun, he tucked his tail and slinked off without me having to fire a shot.

7. calldan

calldan Member

I use a boat horn, it wakes everyone around & they get the message to bring there dog in. It's not the dogs fault that he has crappy owners.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here ya go Gene. Good luck.

Just in case the addy is too long.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARK-Free-SUPER-Stop-NEIGHBORS-DOG-Barking-Remotely-NEW-/270431592344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef6fa9f98

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thanks folks. Looks like I got some shopping around to do. I had no idea what the options were, although I did think of a BB gun or Sleeping pills mixed with hamburger.<:)

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll tell you how i would deal with this after making an honest attempt at getting the owner to understand my point. Better yet if your really interested PM me. It will turn into another coon eratication thread otherwise.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Used Shannons method years ago. The neighbor dogs barked incessantly at night. After two outings with my pellet pistol they mysteriously quit barking. Didn't have to shoot the animals, just in their proximity.

Robert

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

One of our friends had their family dog killed by a Coyote about a year ago. He was a cute little dog, a "yipper' as some might say. He didn't deserve the fate he met and he certainly didn't deserve the absolute inattention our City Council gave him. After hiring a coyote control expert (who I met), they canceled the extermination program. Mind you, this was after the guy killed 5 coyotes in the same area / pack. Six months later, the Councilman who cared more about the coyotes than he did about people is running for Mayor. Pray to God he loses.

Hence we live with barking dogs - cops need a robbery / burglary / shooting to respond. Maybe one of those passive systems will help. Thanks to all.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.