1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T How to stop junk email

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by W.P.T., Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Tear it up and send it back to them after you switch envelopes that they came in ... They love that ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sorry, I miised that part but then I would get a good spam blocker ... I used to get 20-30 spam E Mails a day, got the Norton Security system and no more spam or unwanted E Mails ... The other thing was for crap that comes in the US mail .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Yes, but you have to activate the Spam blocker on your system ... The ISP you have might also have a built in spam blocker which you would have to set up and activate also ... Mine is right on the botton on my sign on screen, if yours is right clik on it to open it and activate it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Use Google E-Mail. That ended all of the junk. That is where most of the virus material comes from also.

Gary

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Simply use disposable email addresses when you deal with places that might sell your email address to a third party (which is most everyone). You can get disposable addresses online from places like Jetable.org, Trashmail, E4Ward, and Spambob. In fact, The Firefox browser had an add-on that will create a trashmail disposible address each time you click on an email text box. After a few uses (if you so choose) the emai address self-destructs leaving spam no place to go. No need to remember anything...just create a new one for each occasion.

Mike

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

mecman ... do you do that? All your doing is showing the spammer that they have an a positive hit and that almost will always guarantee your e-mail address will be used again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again ...

Spammers buy lists of addresses and sell addresses amongst themselves, its a buisiness and the more positive e-mail addresses that can be bought and sold the more money they make. Your thought only puts money in there pockets and more junk in your mail box.

7. mecman

mecman TS Member

Lumper your right but if you reply 20 or so times in consession they but a block on you and therefor they can not send s**t to you eather

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

um ... all it takes is one solid response and they put the block on after 20?

Wouldn't it just be quicker and easier to hit delete and report it as spam eithier within you e-mail program or ISP then to reply 20 times?

I know when I delete messages as Spam it gets reported to my ISP and future messages from that address or other addresses reported my other people get blocked and not get through.

I always find it easiest to just be careful as to where I use my every day e-mail address and report all spam to my ISP. I think I maybe get 2 or 3 messages a week. I use a ghost type address for everything else and delete all messages to that inbox.

9. mecman

mecman TS Member

Lumper,I like your idea also whatever works, I also do the same, sort of to telemarketers. Iput them on hold tell them all sorts of bull, make excuses, ex. baby crying etc. waste their time like there doing to me. usally they hang up first never to call back. ha ha ha ha

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Never answer your home phone till the 5th ring, most telemarketers autodial phone systems end the call after the 4th ring.

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

ZoneAlarm.

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

lump, why not just get caller ID and not answer the calls you don't know?

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

To be honest ... I dont even have my home phone ringer turned on so no need for caller ID. I have had a cell phone for so long everyone calls me on that and I also pay no long distance on my cell plan which brings up another good suggestion for everyone.

If you have a cell phone and that cell phone includes long distance coverage at no charge (like which plan doesnt now days) do you still have a long distance provider on your home phone as well? How much are you being charged per month to have that service provided on your home phone? You are aware that you can cancel it and save yourself money.

14. smartass

smartass TS Member

lump,

If you have a phone, you have to have a long distance carrier- at least ATT requires it here. However, we don't make any long distance calls on the home phone since the cell long distance is free. My long distance plan costs $1.00 per month. I would get rid of the home phone completely except for 2 reasons:

1. I have 2 teenage daughters and choose not to pay for their 10,000,000 minutes per month.

2. I have DSL which requires a home phone. Even with that it's still cheaper than cable internet here.

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If it's worth $3.95 a month to you, subscribe to Cloudmark. The have the absolute best spam filters on the planet, because they work differently that everyone else.

16. mark54

mark54 Member

Try SpamButcher, works great.

Mark54 in lititz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.